IT'S NOT TOO LATE! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Crf150r took front tire off and someone pulled front brake and now brakes are locked

So I removed the front tire from my crf 150 and someone pulled the brake lever and now they are locked up.. What is the procedure to getting them spread apart again so I can fit my tire and disc back in place? Any help is much appreciated Im stuck

Can you get a flat head screwdriver between the pads? Can usually force the piston(s) back by prying the pads apart with it. If not, take the pads out and use a C clamp or a big pair of pliers, and a flat piece of metal (old brake pad if you have one) that will cover both pistons, to push them back into the caliper body.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY

Just pry them apart with a flat head, don't ruin your brake pad.  You can also pry at the top of the caliper a little on top & bottom at a time.  Easy stuff

If you loosen the master cylinder cap and take your brake pads off then get a c-clamp with something thin and some what strong lay it across the pistons and slowly (about half a turn of the c-clamp) move back and forth on each piston it will work i have had the same problem before also work when putting new pads on. The reason for loosening the master cylinder cap is to let some fluid out of the caliper so it much more easy to push the pistons back. You also will want to just put a paper towel around the master cylinder so the small amount of fluid that dose come out dosent go all over your bike. And your not going to have to bleed your brakes or anything. Make sure you pump your brake lever a few times before you go off ridding and that you have plenty of brake fluid.

• Like 1

Pry the caliper apart like the other guys said. If it doesn't move fairly easy pop the bleeder and it should move with a gentle pry. If it doesn't than be careful try to work the piston in and out. I've seen old hardened piston boots blow out and then you just have more problems on your hands. Same deal when you put new pads in.

If you loosen the master cylinder cap and take your brake pads off then get a c-clamp with something thin and some what strong lay it across the pistons and slowly (about half a turn of the c-clamp) move back and forth on each piston it will work i have had the same problem before also work when putting new pads on. The reason for loosening the master cylinder cap is to let some fluid out of the caliper so it much more easy to push the pistons back. You also will want to just put a paper towel around the master cylinder so the small amount of fluid that dose come out dosent go all over your bike. And your not going to have to bleed your brakes or anything. Make sure you pump your brake lever a few times before you go off ridding and that you have plenty of brake fluid.

This is the correct method to ensure you do not damage the pads or contaminate them with any grease or oil that might be on the screw driver.  This is the same method used for cars and other vehicles.  Prying apart with a screw driver will work and I have done it before, but Shoodong did provide the service manual procedure.

Next time you take a wheel off install a small wood wedge between the pads, this will hold them apart even if someone pulls the brake lever. You can buy them at the local hardware store, they are used when installing new doors.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help I used a c clamp and it worked instantly I could'nt get them apart with a screwdriver ..

Edited by Kennethyz450f