Test riding the kids CRF70

I bought a CRF 70 last weekend for my son.  It needed a little work, carb cleaning, oil change, air filter was toast, new chain, maintenance, etc.  It finally got above freezing today and all the snow is starting to melt so I had to get out and test it out and get some gas flowing through the carb. 

I slapped on the GoPro - here's the results.  This is a great little bike!  BTW I'm 6'3" 200lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toVl_KQ5XmA

Its nuts how your kid's bike can draw you in and get you hooked.  What started out as my son's 70 is now his 88 with a 20mm carb, FMF exhaust, UNI pod filter, and a little better cam.  I figured if Dad thought it needed a little more juice, surely he would like it that way.  Thankfully, he does  :thumbsup:

He hasn't even ridden it yet and I'm already wondering if a KX65 would be a good next step up.  LOL

He hasn't even ridden it yet and I'm already wondering if a KX65 would be a good next step up.  LOL

Well, how old is he?  a 65 might be a better fit.  And what type of riding are you looking to do?  The KX is a motocross bike with a much better suspension and a lot more horsepower.  If you are running track, then yep, get a 65.  But, if you are just poking around the farm, the 70 is a good choice with the next bike being an 80.

I have 2 XR70s & 2 XR100s

4 adults and a 12 pack of beer is some good fun

Excellent.  One thing about stepping up, make sure they are ready for it or it might put them off riding.  I started my son off at 10 on a CR85 and it intimidated him.  Now at 15 he likes trail riding with the KLX300 (after 3 years and growing a lot).  But if I had to do it over again, and thankfully I can with my 7 year old daughter, I will start with a tame bike and let her max out its capabilities before I move her up.  I have a CRF50 she putts around on and am waiting for the day she wants more bike.  Like I said, don't let them get intimidated by the power of a bike, let them learn and grow.

Looks like fun, even I ride the CRF 50 and my daughters LT50 quad, they are a blast.

Jim

Excellent.  One thing about stepping up, make sure they are ready for it or it might put them off riding.  I started my son off at 10 on a CR85 and it intimidated him.  Now at 15 he likes trail riding with the KLX300 (after 3 years and growing a lot).  But if I had to do it over again, and thankfully I can with my 7 year old daughter, I will start with a tame bike and let her max out its capabilities before I move her up.  I have a CRF50 she putts around on and am waiting for the day she wants more bike.  Like I said, don't let them get intimidated by the power of a bike, let them learn and grow.

Looks like fun, even I ride the CRF 50 and my daughters LT50 quad, they are a blast.

Jim

This is good advise and something I needed to read.  I have my 8 year old on a 70 with an 88 kit and want to get him to a clutch so we can get back to racing MX.  But I realize he just might not like a clutch and just really enjoys the auto and our local trail system.  

I guess I just need to settle down a bit and let him tell me when he is ready.

The kids got out this weekend and test rode their bikes themselves.  They did pretty good.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dPlBCmZY-c

Just watched the video.  All my family on my Mom's side is from Nebraska and that is where I went to school.  Go Big Red ain't for Honda.  That video makes me miss the midwest and a better way of living.  Folks from the coasts just see is as a flat wasteland and don't understand what the heartland is all about.  The nicest most considerate people in the world and a great place to grow up as a kid.  Although we all leave as soon as we graduate from college thinking there is something better out there (The great brain drain).

Your kids are fortunate to be living out there and growing up in God's country.  But as they say where I am from (sung to Willie's classic) Momma, don;t let your babies grow up to be JayHawks.   :lol:   Of course, now that we are not in the Big 12, I miss the rivalries.  Especially with the good lads down in Oklahoma and the growing one with K-State since Bill's arrival and re-arrival.  Football just isn't the same now (probably because we lose a lot more in the B1G  :thumbsdn: )

I agree!  I don't plan to get in to any racing.  I just want to have some enjoyable weekend riding with the family. 

That's why I went with the CRF70 over the 80.  They could touch their toes on the 80 which would be fine for riding in the flat field, but I'd rather have them be able to flat foot it.  So when I get them out on the trails and they are off camber they can still touch and not be as scared.

GoBigRed - We're in purple town.  It's growing a lot here.  If you miss the terrain around here you could check out my other vids.  I've got some video of trail riding around here and dual sporting out in the beautiful flint hills.  There's some nice rolling hills around.

Thanks for the kind words!

I'm glad you had fun, but you got passed by a dog. You need a bigger bike.

I have many bigger bikes.  You just keep posting informative posts like this to get your post count up.

I have many bigger bikes.  You just keep posting informative posts like this to get your post count up.

Dude.  you just let the secret out.  Now we need an administrator to reset you back at zero.