Refitting starter clutch problem

I recently repaired my generator cover and am having trouble putting the starter clutch back in place.

I can't seem to get the gears in far enough to bolt the cover back on.

Any advice/tips appreciated!

Thanks.

Just take your time and slowly rotate the cover around a bit.  Don't forget to have the rear bushings and shims in place.  I install the bushing on the shaft of the limiter.  If this is still not working, remove the inspection plug and slowly rotate the engine.

When it is finally lined up, tap it with a mallet into place.  Be careful for the O ring.  This is a process that is better to take your time and double check how it looks before bolting it down.

I recently repaired my generator cover and am having trouble putting the starter clutch back in place.

I can't seem to get the gears in far enough to bolt the cover back on.

Any advice/tips appreciated!

Thanks.

when taking the generator cover off, does the starter clutch have to be removed?  im asking because im tearing into mine once it warms up a little.

Yes it does as there is a bolt 'hiding' inside behind the stater gear sand the cover cannot be removed without taking this one out.

Thanks for the advice ShooterJ. I will give it a try and let you know how I get on.

Yes it does as there is a bolt 'hiding' inside behind the stater gear sand the cover cannot be removed without taking this one out.

That is the starter torque limiter.  

The starter clutch is behind the flywheel