Xr400r electric start?

I have seen a few xr's with electric start and was wondering if there is a kit you can buy? If you do it yourself? And what you would need to do... Does any body know? Thanks alot guys

As far as I know there is no kit available anymore. I believe the one company that did it went out of business.

It is not a problem to do it yourself though, even if you just do what I did and buy all the parts and have a reputable mechanic do the actual work. I had a list of all parts needed on my other computer that crashed, but I'll try to give you a list of parts needed from memory. If I miss something, or someone else has a different way of doing it, I'm sure they'll chime in and you should be able to get all the information that you need. So, here it goes from memory....

- Crank from Honda TRX400EX

- TRX400EX countershaft

- Left side crankcase cover and internals (stator, starter clutch assembly, and gears) from TRX400EX

- starter motor

- complete wiring harness from TRX400EX (including CDI, rectifier, & starter solenoid)

- battery (I recommend a Lithium Ion battery for a TRX400EX for space saving)

- shift lever from TRX400EX (to clear new crankcase cover)

You will need to custom make a battery and solenoid holder. I put mine under the left side number plate. You can customize the wiring harness to work with just a start button and your existing kill button if you don't want the bulky handlebar switch assembly or the key switch. If you want to DS the bike you will most likely want to keep these items. 

I have read that the CDI for the TRX400EX is slightly retarded in timing compared to the XR400 CDI. You need the TRX CDI so the engine will fire at a lower RPM, so I purchased a Dynatek CDI to advance the timing curve, but it's not necessary.

If you are patient with e-Bay all these items can be had for a good price. Occasionally you will see an "all in one" kit that someone has put together that is easy to do but costs more. 

If you don't have a big bore, and are inclined to go with it, I would recommend doing it at the same time as you put in the e-start. You will have to split the cases to do the work for the e-start as well as the big bore, so you might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I spent 2 years getting all the parts together, so I can't give you a cost to get everything. I also did a lot of other work to the motor while I was at it, so there were costs involved with that as well making it difficult for me to split out just the costs of the e-start. With that said, I'm probably into just the parts for this conversion for under $1000. That includes the Dynatek CDI and the LIthium Ion battery. I believe the "all in one" kits are going for around $1500 not including the CDI or the battery, so it does pay to be patient and put it together yourself.

Hope this answers a few questions for you. If I missed anything hopefully someone will bring it up. I need to get my desktop computer going again so I can retrieve some of these important files I have on it.

As far as I know there is no kit available anymore. I believe the one company that did it went out of business.

It is not a problem to do it yourself though, even if you just do what I did and buy all the parts and have a reputable mechanic do the actual work. I had a list of all parts needed on my other computer that crashed, but I'll try to give you a list of parts needed from memory. If I miss something, or someone else has a different way of doing it, I'm sure they'll chime in and you should be able to get all the information that you need. So, here it goes from memory....

- TRX400EX countershaft

- Left side crankcase cover and internals (stator, starter clutch assembly, and gears) from TRX400EX

- starter motor

- complete wiring harness from TRX400EX (including CDI, rectifier, & starter solenoid)

You will need to custom make a battery and solenoid holder. I put mine under the left side number plate. You can customize the wiring harness to work with just a start button and your existing kill button if you don't want the bulky handlebar switch assembly or the key switch. If you want to DS the bike you will most likely want to keep these items.

I have read that the CDI for the TRX400EX is slightly retarded in timing compared to the XR400 CDI. You need the TRX CDI so the engine will fire at a lower RPM, so I purchased a Dynatek CDI to advance the timing curve, but it's not necessary.

If you are patient with e-Bay all these items can be had for a good price. Occasionally you will see an "all in one" kit that someone has put together that is easy to do but costs more.

If you don't have a big bore, and are inclined to go with it, I would recommend doing it at the same time as you put in the e-start. You will have to split the cases to do the work for the e-start as well as the big bore, so you might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I spent 2 years getting all the parts together, so I can't give you a cost to get everything. I also did a lot of other work to the motor while I was at it, so there were costs involved with that as well making it difficult for me to split out just the costs of the e-start. With that said, I'm probably into just the parts for this conversion for under $1000. That includes the Dynatek CDI and the LIthium Ion battery. I believe the "all in one" kits are going for around $1500 not including the CDI or the battery, so it does pay to be patient and put it together yourself.

Hope this answers a few questions for you. If I missed anything hopefully someone will bring it up. I need to get my desktop computer going again so I can retrieve some of these important files I have on it.

Thank you very much i will look into it more and do some research

You shouldn't need the countershaft. I used the xr400 one was replacing as I broke the original one and upgrades to a 2000 model shaft everything else is fine. If you can rebuild a engine then you can install an electric start.

IMHO I would sell it and get a bike that has elec start. I loved my XR4 and thought about doing the elec start but after the hassle and the cost I was better off selling it and buying my KTM. I still dont understand why Honda does not sell a 400/450 in the US that has elec start and can be plated. If they did I would probably own it but until then I guess it will be KTM. Good luck whatever you do.

I installed a Joe Racer kit on my 2003 XR400,I did the work myself, keep in mind this kit cost me $1200 at that time, I no longer have this bike, but noticed its up on the Denver craigslist right now, I think he want $2700 for the bike. It was awesome having a electric start on this bike, I upgraded to a CRF450X, I prefer my 450X

- TRX400EX countershaft

- starter motor

Hey MTNGOAT,

(If I have the right guy)...I think we spent some time on the trail together at the Hillbilly GP,  Branson Mo. venue...

It was on lap 2 just before that nasty mud soaked down hill rock drop ! Great place to get a rest and watch bikes bang and crash....

I was the old fat guy on the modded 230F.

Beyond the DR300, I think we were the only air cooled dudes on the coarse !

The Xr400 was so cool to see up close and in person..

and as you know this coarse was a test of tests.

It was great meeting you...and that bike of yours...

That was me. I had a blast there. Enjoyed the trailside visit with you too. I'm taking vacation time with my wife this week, but I'll be around until around April7 if you want to hit Chadwick sometime.

This mod seems more trouble than it worth. I simply kick and hope for the best. One of neighbors used to have two xr400s and claims to have the trx engine and all the parts to put it together. He got rid of both xr's so the "kit" is mine for the right price. I think I'll Pass and keep kicking. I did however score a spare set of tires and rims for my xr4 from him on trade for an aftermarket headset that I got with my xr350.

Edited by Undercover Poe

This mod seems more trouble than it worth. I simply kick and hope for the best.

Every mod has its benefit for the right person. I'm in the over 50 category with an artificial right knee. I don't want to have to kick if I don't have to. I can do it, but it's not the most comfortable thing to do. I was going to go e-start regardless, so why not do the conversion on a bike that I know and am comfortable with for a lot less than a new bike would have cost? Besides, I have ridden with a few XR riders since I've done the conversion. One in particular, after a 10 hour day of riding a good XR400 that starts almost every time on the first kick, was getting a little jealous of me just pushing the little button by the end of the day. I believe the exact quote was, "I hate you right now!".

So for you, keep kicking if it's no big deal. For this old man, it's money well spent! Not to impress anyone, but to make my life on the bike just a little easier.

Every mod has its benefit for the right person. I'm in the over 50 category with an artificial right knee. I don't want to have to kick if I don't have to. I can do it, but it's not the most comfortable thing to do. I was going to go e-start regardless, so why not do the conversion on a bike that I know and am comfortable with for a lot less than a new bike would have cost? Besides, I have ridden with a few XR riders since I've done the conversion. One in particular, after a 10 hour day of riding a good XR400 that starts almost every time on the first kick, was getting a little jealous of me just pushing the little button by the end of the day. I believe the exact quote was, "I hate you right now!".

So for you, keep kicking if it's no big deal. For this old man, it's money well spent! Not to impress anyone, but to make my life on the bike just a little easier.

I hear you, I would too like to have e start especially later on in my riding career. As another poster mentioned, simply buy a new bike is possible but if I want to stick with my true love Honda, I'm going to have to settle for liquid if I want to stay around this displacement. I'm going to hate to part with my air head simply because of no start. I love my xr4 and believe it's the perfect bike for me. Maybe I should at least make an offer on those estart part for my neighbor. Or why won't honda really make the bike we all want. An xr4 street legal with estart!,,?...

I hear you, I would too like to have e start especially later on in my riding career. As another poster mentioned, simply buy a new bike is possible but if I want to stick with my true love Honda, I'm going to have to settle for liquid if I want to stay around this displacement. I'm going to hate to part with my air head simply because of no start. I love my xr4 and believe it's the perfect bike for me. Maybe I should at least make an offer on those estart part for my neighbor. Or why won't honda really make the bike we all want. An xr4 street legal with estart!,,?...

They do , its called XR400 Model no. ND08 Sold from 2006-2008 but not in USA .

20150519_143610_zpsdfobzzxp.jpg

20150519_143728_zps1h3zfel2.jpg

They do , its called XR400 Model no. ND08 Sold from 2006-2008 but not in USA .

20150519_143610_zpsdfobzzxp.jpg

20150519_143728_zps1h3zfel2.jpg

how Much to import me an engine?

You may find one on Jause.com , price and if you get a deal with the japanese seller , i don't know .

But this engine is a little different from the XR400 you know .

Gears are longer depend its a Motard . maybe you like that or not

Also compression is down to 8.6/1 and Power is just 30 HP .

Good thing is , the stator has 204 W

It has good torqe but its stock very slow reving , but it run easy 120km all day long with room to slow accelerate to 140-maybe 150 .

But that can be all cured if you are willing to swap some parts with the ones from a older model.

You also need the Battery box and the wirering loom to make it a easy engine swap .

Don't take the CDI from this Model , its crap and very restrictive too.

If you take the ND08 Loom you need to reconnect the old CDI Plug to it .

Edited by Schrauberklaus

You may find one on Jause.com , price and if you get a deal with the japanese seller , i don't know .

But this engine is a little different from the XR400 you know .

Gears are longer depend its a Motard . maybe you like that or not

Also compression is down to 8.6/1 and Power is just 30 HP .

Good thing is , the stator has 204 W

It has good torqe but its stock very slow reving , but it run easy 120km all day long with room to slow accelerate to 140-maybe 150 .

But that can be all cured if you are willing to swap some parts with the ones from a older model.

You also need the Battery box and the wirering loom to make it a easy engine swap .

Don't take the CDI from this Model , its crap and very restrictive too.

If you take the ND08 Loom you need to reconnect the old CDI Plug to it .

thats all good. Thanks for the info. That's cool that honda makes a supermoto Xr4. Seems like a real cool bike. I think I'll just stick with kick starting my xr4 and hope that honda offers an e start airhead sometime in my future especially when I really need it. Edited by Undercover Poe

The e-start is nice.  I used the joe-racer adapter and put it on my bike many years ago.  you cant find that adapter anymore so have to split the cases and use the ex-400 crank.  If there were enough peoplke wanting the e-start, I would have half a mind to take the crank adapter off my bike and send it to china (where I get parts for work) and have them copy it.  Probably would have to get 100 of them though.  the joe racer part was like $500 but these parts copid from china would probably be less than $80 each.

If the e-start is cost prohibitive, I would then sure recommend putting on a pumper carb.  The bike will start almost all the time in one kick with a pumper on it.  My XR has been relegated to spare dirt bike and had not been started or left the garage in over two years.  I got it out a couple weeks ago and tried to start it.  Couple throttle twists of the pumper, and then hit the button and the battery was totally dead (harbor freight charger fried it).  I decided I would kick it a couple times before putting it back away.  As I kicked it slowly through about 2-3 full strokes trying to feel when the piston got to TDC, it popped and ran for a couple seconds before dying.  Not even with a good hard kick.  Just cycling through looking for TDC.  After 2 years of sitting.  Love that pumper.  Two hard kicks and she was running fine.

You have e start on your xr and it's not your go to bike? So jealous. I don't have e start or this pumper carb you speak of. I have to kick my bike like 3 times to get it to start like a peasant. I guess it could be worse. At least in have and xr4

yes, my main bike is a CRF250X, backup to that is currently a KTM.  Then comes the XR.   The other bikes come and go.  The XR will always be in the stable.  It has an auto-clutch on it also.  And a steering damper.  It was my go-to bike for about 5 years then the others started coming into the fold.

The nice thing about the pumper is that it is usually only one kick even after a spill and it has laid on it's side for 5 minutes.  try that with a stock carb.

yes, my main bike is a CRF250X, backup to that is currently a KTM.  Then comes the XR.   The other bikes come and go.  The XR will always be in the stable.  It has an auto-clutch on it also.  And a steering damper.  It was my go-to bike for about 5 years then the others started coming into the fold.

The nice thing about the pumper is that it is usually only one kick even after a spill and it has laid on it's side for 5 minutes.  try that with a stock carb.

Keihin fcr

or mikuni pumper?

It is actually an Edelbrock Quicksilver.  It has a knob on the top that you use to "rejet" it for altitude without having to open it up.

I originally had the mikuni and loved it. It had a harder hit than the Edelbrock but when I added the electric start, the mikuni carb was too tall and it would not go into place with the electric starter motor underneath it.