97 kx250 wont stay in 4th

i got the bike a few months ago and im working on it over the winter to have ready for spring. it will hold 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th but wont stay in 4th it just drops back down to 3rd under load. im hoping to not have to split the cases but will if thats what has to be done. could you guys throw out a few things to check out and what to look for. thanks

Splitting cases is inevitable now. The dogs on the gear have more than likely lost their "dove tail" shape. Now when under load, it bumps down to 3rd because there is nothing there to keep it engaged. Split cases. And put up pics of the tranny.

yeah i didnt think i was going to get away with not having to split them, looks like im getting some new tools. thanks man

shouldn't need new tools, i usually spilt mine with a dead blow hammer. i mean unless you dont have a dead blow. case splitters are nice but i split cases every day at work and use a set of splitters 1 out of 15 engines.

thats awesome! i didnt want to spend a ton of money on tools that id probably only use once. i never tore apart a motor before but i've always made all my own repairs on anything i own and think i can do it. any tips on how to go about fixing my trans would help. thanks

thats awesome! i didnt want to spend a ton of money on tools that id probably only use once. i never tore apart a motor before but i've always made all my own repairs on anything i own and think i can do it. any tips on how to go about fixing my trans would help. thanks

#1 tip buy a manual, a decent micrometer, some feeler gauges, only tools you'll really need for the trans spec's tear down the engine the way the manual says, you'll need a flywheel puller (like 20 bucks and worth while to have because alot are the same puller) but if you have a 3 jaw it could work.

throw up some pics of youre bike.

Splitting cases is inevitable now. The dogs on the gear have more than likely lost their "dove tail" shape. Now when under load, it bumps down to 3rd because there is nothing there to keep it engaged. Split cases. And put up pics of the tranny.

This.

The shift fork is probably slightly bent as well.

You will be splitting the cases.

Just use a three-prong metric steering wheel puller, that's what I use to separate cases. Unless you know what you're doing using striking the cases with anything to separate them is a bad idea.

You will at the very least have to buy a flywheel puller and two torque wrenchs, an inch/pound model and a foot/pound model..

A crank insertion toll is handy, but not vital, you can use the freezer/oven method to install the crank without knocking it out of true.

If it were me I'd probably put a new crank, crank bearings and seals in it while it's apart.

I split the cases last night. I'm gonna look it over today but I'm not really sure what's normal wear and what needs to be replaced. Also I know its important to keep the clutch pack the way it came out but I think some got clocked wrong when I set them down. Is that gonna be a problem.

after about a grand in tools, parts and getting the cylinder re plated shes back together and run like a champ. thank you guys for helping me out, its nice to have all 5 gears and a fresh top end.