Stock carb build up vs FCR

Can you build the stock carb up to get anywhere near the performance of the FCR carb.  Like adding the JD jet kid, FMF snap, K&N filter, 3x3, etc, or will you still be worlds ahead with the FCR.

I dont mind spending the money on the FCR, but I would just hate to run into install problems because i dont have access to many tools, shops, equipment, and im pretty far from being a mechanic...and ive read of install problems, trubles, etc.  I just didnt want to spend a bunch of money and get in over my head if i can get close to the same performance building up the stock system a little.

thanks

Short answer is NO,  unfortunately,  me stock mikuni carb was perfect,  jetted perfectly where it started up right away every time and ran perfectly,  never an issue,  the FCR just gets to speed right away,  with the stock carb you WOT it and it starts moving and then builds up speed as you move,  with the FCR you WOT it and it just pulls right away and gets to speed so much quicker,   its pure bolt on performance. 

It just gets you going faster faster,  lol,  if that makes sense,  pure throttle responce,  you punch it and it goes.

Tools needed to remove/install the carb.

8 mm socket

10 mm socket

Philips head screwdriver

Pliers for hose clamps.

That's it. Any 100 piece tool kit from Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot will have everything you need.

I wouldn't let the idea of having to install the FCR be the reason you don't get it. There's plenty of how-to's on the FAQ page and youtube showing how it's done.

A huge portion of what mechanical ability I have is from wrenching on my own bikes. It's honestly the best way to learn, make a few mistakes on the way, but you have the ability to ride with confidence knowing if your bike starts to give you trouble you'll have an understanding of how to fix it.

In the 3 years I've had my FCR, it's only given me a hard time once or twice. And the main reason was I ran the bike out of fuel and it clogged up the carb.

IMO get it, you'll be glad you did

Night and day difference.

/\ +1 on the night and day difference.

By design, the stock Mikuni will simply cannot have the throttle response and top end rev that the FCR does.  The JD kit and 3x3 helps it out and is a nice bang for the buck, but it's not a performance carb like the FCR.

Tools needed to remove/install the carb.

8 mm socket

10 mm socket

Philips head screwdriver

Pliers for hose clamps.

That's it. Any 100 piece tool kit from Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot will have everything you need.

I wouldn't let the idea of having to install the FCR be the reason you don't get it. There's plenty of how-to's on the FAQ page and youtube showing how it's done.

A huge portion of what mechanical ability I have is from wrenching on my own bikes. It's honestly the best way to learn, make a few mistakes on the way, but you have the ability to ride with confidence knowing if your bike starts to give you trouble you'll have an understanding of how to fix it.

In the 3 years I've had my FCR, it's only given me a hard time once or twice. And the main reason was I ran the bike out of fuel and it clogged up the carb.

IMO get it, you'll be glad you did

maybe ill give it a shot.  does the thumper talk fcr kit have everything...cable adapters, all small parts, jetted, direct bolt in?

i was just worried about trying to source parts if my throttle cables werent a direct fit, rejetting which i know nothing about, trimming airbox plastic, etc to shoe horn it in...that kind of stuff where i would have it in pieces in the garage wondering if it will ever run again.

now if the kit is complete, it bolts right in, jetted and whatnot,and comes with everything needed (no other parts sourced out) i wouldnt mind giving it a shot.

Can anyone comment on gas/tank mileage on the stock vs fcr?

im curious as well since a do a few longer rides occasionally and the stock tank sucks.

im curious as well since a do a few longer rides occasionally and the stock tank sucks.

No personal mileage experience with the FCR…..yet. Mileage will depend on how much you twist the throttle, so if you stay out of it mileage shouldn't be terrible. I think I have heard 40-45 is attainable if you drive nicely.

I have had the FCR/MX for 4-5 years and I think it is using about 10% more fuel than stock . I do use the wrist a bit , so if you were gentle it could be a lot better , greg

I have 2 DRZs one with and one without . Night and day difference in response . The fcr gets about 5 mpg less it seems like you don't have to open it as much to get it going.....