Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 All over the place in the sand. Any tips or tricks?

As the title mentions my KLX300 is very hard to handle in the sand. I have owned several other bikes WR400, XR650, CR250 and a few more I cant think of right now, but this one seems to be the worst when it comes to sand. I have upgraded the fork springs from stock to 185 lbs since I am no longer at "riding weight" :blush:  but it didn't seem to make any difference in the sand. I have tried varying tire pressure and I don't really feel a difference there either. From what I have read here the stock front fork is not the best and has limited adjustment, not to say i would know what i am doing when it comes to adjusting anyway??

Is there anything I can do to make it a little better or do I just start saving my pennies for a KX250 front fork upgrade?

Thanks for any help/advice in advance  

What is the bike doing in the sand that is making it hard to handle? What kind of tires are you running, and what air pressure in the tires? How are you riding in the sand i.e. body position, throttle control, etc.?

The KLX300 forks are undersprung, and mushy, and the shock may be over sprung and harsh depending on your weight. There are definitely improvements to be seen if you get the forks and shock resprung and revalved for your weight and riding style.

What is the bike doing in the sand that is making it hard to handle? What kind of tires are you running, and what air pressure in the tires? How are you riding in the sand i.e. body position, throttle control, etc.?

The KLX300 forks are undersprung, and mushy, and the shock may be over sprung and harsh depending on your weight. There are definitely improvements to be seen if you get the forks and shock resprung and revalved for your weight and riding style.

It seems abnormally squirely compared to other bikes I have had including another KLX300. 

I usually ride with around 10 lbs of tire pressure. That seems to be a good happy medium for all around riding for me. Not sure of the tire brand? I would go look but my bike is in the trailer that is not stored at my house. I am hoovering around 200 pounds these days :blush: . I replaced the stock front springs with the race tech springs that are rated at 185 lbs.

I usually sit back a little further on the seat in the sand and try to keep on the throttle to try and keep the front tire from digging in. I usually just try to stay on the gas and go with the flow trying not to fight the bike too much but it seems like this thing wants to lay down in the sand? 

Sand has never been my favorite medium to ride in but I found that standing up with my weight back and keeping the front end light by making sure you are in the power band worked as well as anything I ever tried. Do you have your suspension sag tuned to your riding style ?

May be tires and/or suspension if the bike handles worse than another KLX you've had.

If you haven't recently you might want to check movement of your steering stem, and swingarm. You may have steering stem bearings or swingarm and linkage bearings that are going bad and binding up your steering/suspension.

Sand has never been my favorite medium to ride in but I found that standing up with my weight back and keeping the front end light by making sure you are in the power band worked as well as anything I ever tried. Do you have your suspension sag tuned to your riding style ?

I did try standing up last time out on the recommendation of a friend and It didn't seem to help much at that point, I figured I would fall even further when I eventually went down. Although I never have actually gone down due to the bad handling in the sand :ride:

I have read but not yet adjusted my sag according to planetklx I guess I should start there heh?

May be tires and/or suspension if the bike handles worse than another KLX you've had.

If you haven't recently you might want to check movement of your steering stem, and swingarm. You may have steering stem bearings or swingarm and linkage bearings that are going bad and binding up your steering/suspension.

Now that you mention it I did notice a little movement (back and forth) of my steering stem last time out. I noticed a bit of a clunking feeling in the front end while riding and when I stopped to check it out I could push and pull and get some slight movement on the stem, very slight but still some movement.

I will have to check it out when i get the bike back home. 

There are some good suspension adjustment processes on this web site under Dirt Bike technical forums.