tire for long wear?

i have new tusk wheels on their way to me.  gonna put new tires on them.

i did a search but finding info proved difficult.  i also know this is a subject that has lots of opionions, but unbiased facts would be appreciated.  thanks in advance.

i hate changing tires all the time.  what rear will last a long time and still has an aggresive tread?  i don't ride street, just trails, lots of mud and lots of rock too.

irc lasted no time.

kenda trackmaster lasted even less time.

maxxis dessert it has lasted much longer.

what anout the pirelli mt21?  the large tread blocks looks like they would last.  is the tread depth deep?  pirelli's site doesn't give depth specs.

dunlop 606?

fronts last a lot longer so i can concern myself more with traction.  any suggestions?

when i read tire descriptions they talk about soft, hard, intermidiate.  they are talking about the terrain, not the tire rubber compound, correct?  i think i am looking for a tire with a hard compound.  is there any way to figure out what tiers have hard compounds?

i have new tusk wheels on their way to me.  gonna put new tires on them.

i did a search but finding info proved difficult.  i also know this is a subject that has lots of opionions, but unbiased facts would be appreciated.  thanks in advance.

i hate changing tires all the time.  what rear will last a long time and still has an aggresive tread?  i don't ride street, just trails, lots of mud and lots of rock too.

irc lasted no time.

kenda trackmaster lasted even less time.

maxxis dessert it has lasted much longer.

what anout the pirelli mt21?  the large tread blocks looks like they would last.  is the tread depth deep?  pirelli's site doesn't give depth specs.

dunlop 606?

fronts last a lot longer so i can concern myself more with traction.  any suggestions?

when i read tire descriptions they talk about soft, hard, intermidiate.  they are talking about the terrain, not the tire rubber compound, correct?  i think i am looking for a tire with a hard compound.  is there any way to figure out what tiers have hard compounds?

Maxxis is hard to beat for durability. Long lasting fur sure.

thanks for all the feedback, hahahaha

i went with desert it rears and a maxxis en front.

If you want traction, then the tire is going to wear out...it's matching the tread and compound to the terrain, otherwise you are wasting your money

i refuse to change tires every weekend so i sacrifice traction for wear.  as far as i read the maxxis desert it is the longest wearing tire.  anyone else have a tire that lasted longer?

i refuse to change tires every weekend so i sacrifice traction for wear.  as far as i read the maxxis desert it is the longest wearing tire.  anyone else have a tire that lasted longer?

What would you consider long lasting?  I run the Pirelli XCMH and the Bridgestone 404.  Both of them will round off the knobs in less than 10 hours easy where I ride.  However, the tire can go probably another 10 before it's due for a change.  I think the 450X is just a tire eater... I'd say for me, the tire wear rate is tied directly to my right hand on the throttle ;)

What would you consider long lasting?  I run the Pirelli XCMH and the Bridgestone 404.  Both of them will round off the knobs in less than 10 hours easy where I ride.  However, the tire can go probably another 10 before it's due for a change.  I think the 450X is just a tire eater... I'd say for me, the tire wear rate is tied directly to my right hand on the throttle ;)

there is definitely a direct correlation between the right hand and tire wear!  my right hand is pretty hyper too.  i would burn up a soft tire in 10-15 hours.  that is 2-3 weekends for me.  i refuse to replace tires that often.

Here is a good article on tires. MrRong is right on the money with his comment.  Tires made for Hard terrain and rocks is made of a soft material.  Tires made for Mud and soft terrain is made from a hard material.  There is a bit more to it then that, but it comes down to pay for longetivity and less traction...depbending on where you ride...or pay for traction and possibley faster tire wear.

http://www.motosport.com/blog/dirt-bike-tire-buying-guide

I have ran the Maxxis Desert IT on my 450X , and after i removed it after 2 seasons , it is still in great shape , that said , i now have a Bridgestone M604 , like the Maxxis , it seems to be wearing quite nicely , but as others have mentioned , with both the Maxxis and the Bridgestone , some traction is sacrificed for longevity , especially in hardpack/marbles , i run lower air pressure to compensate some , (7-8 lbs) and am planning on going to a Nuetec Tubliss so i can run even lower pressure , i run the 604 on my 450R as well , its ok everywhere , but not great for hardpack/marbles , you always will have to sacrifice traction to get a tire that lasts

i refuse to change tires every weekend so i sacrifice traction for wear. as far as i read the maxxis desert it is the longest wearing tire. anyone else have a tire that lasted longer?

I'm with you on that. I hate switching tires out no mater how you look at it its expensive to change them out every few rides. I have had great luck with geomax mx71 usually will last the whole season for me and my right hand seams to be heavy as well. They got rid of the best tire it lasted forever and I was pissed about it. It was a Michelin star cross I believe it was a mh4 or something like that lasted a year and a half at least but this mx71 is the next best thing in my book for hard terrain. The front is sweet also in same tire as long as you stay on the gas. It wants to track where it wants to go unless you give it a little gas on the downhill.

I can get an entire season with one tire...but everything is sand here

The new Dunlop GEOMAX MX52 is supposed cover more ground conditions then the GEOMAX71.  I am thinking about running it next.  I am doing the Odessa Desert 100 in April and I pretty sure that the tires I have on now will be ready for a change after that race. I've had some luck with the Maxis Desert IT as well.  I ran it on my 650 and it held up decent. 

When I was younger it was Dunlop. They lasted to long. Hard as rocks

Don't be misguided by "I got two full seasons" or I got only 3 months out of a tire.  Some people's "season" consist of 6-7 rides which might equate to 20 hours or 3-500 miles, and take into account what type of terrain they are ridding.    Is in Baja, North west rain forest, rocky hills in Missouri.  The same tire might last forever riding in mud all day long and burn up riding on gravel roads.  Last year I road 3000 miles and 120 hours.  Go by mileage and how much was dirt or pavement.  I had a D606, got 1300 miles before replacing it.  I am very hard on the throttle and never felt it had great traction on dirt gravel roads, but amazing on pavement.  I might have been running too high of a PSI for dirt though.  I road probably 900 dirt and 400 pavement.  After that I went to a Maxis desert IT. It hooked up Amazing in Southern AZ desert.  I got 1000 good miles out of it then just finished it off until the knobbies were flat on another 200 or so pavement where I didn't care.   I have found that I would rather spend more money have have better traction in dirt (where I enjoy riding hard and fast)  and feel confident in my tire rather than saving $50-100 per year to get a tire that lasts a little longer but SUCKS ASS everywhere I want to go fast.  I have researched until my eyes hurt and have not found the perfect tire for amazing traction in dirt and long lasting on pavement. It's an either OR situation.

A D606 is not an offroad tire, and is USELESS in most CA terrain. No traction on sketchy hills.

The Maxiss Desert IT tires work great, but have a shelf life: when they get a month or two old, the knobs start ripping off like crazy.

These tires are made by Cheng Shin, and this has been a problem with their tires since 1970 !

Kenda Parker DT-II 120/100/18 tires wear pretty long. I use them in the summer when traction is loose. I can get over 10 (5) hour rides on them before they become low-traction. 

Now, my Expert friends at AS Racing use the same rear tire, and cannot get through even ONE race before the tire is toast. No knobs. None. Smooth carcass. 

I like the Dunlop MX-71 when traction is high. It works well enough all terrain to be good, and it is one of the best 'handling' tires I've every used (ability to turn and drift with control).

I want to try the new  AT-81 / AT-81-RC (rear),  and possibly the new MX-52. 

One tire that I highly NOT recommend is the Atrax 450-combo tire 'bargain' from Motorsport.com ; the side walls are so soft you have to put 20lbs in the front tire.....!

another reason i like hard compound tires that last is that after X miles you still have more tread leaft and therefor more traction.

after X miles the tread on my kenda trackmaster was toast.  after that same amount of miles, X miles, my desert it still had lots of tread leaft and still dug in for me.

another reason i like hard compound tires that last is that after X miles you still have more tread leaft and therefor more traction.

after X miles the tread on my kenda trackmaster was toast.  after that same amount of miles, X miles, my desert it still had lots of tread leaft and still dug in for me.

To be fair though, the Trackmaster is a cheap tire...you could buy 2 for the same as one Desert IT...

Tread doesn't mean traction...that is only one part of the equation

oh yeah, all true.

trackmaster was super cheap.  it's biggest cost to me was having to change it so quickly after a short life.  changing tires is a pia.  i hate it.  i would rather pay double for a tire that lasts twice as long.

as for tread, yes, it is one part of the traction equation, but it's a big part.  perhaps tread is the biggest part of the traction equation?  maybe, i dunno.  i certainly appreciate tread in the dirt and mud.  it would seem to me that deeper tread sells because it offers better traction?  i do agree with you that softer, and different compounds offer different traction too.

after three weekends my trackmaster was roughly half gone.  after three weekends my desert it barely showed much wear.  it may not have gone exactly that way but it seemed close to that.

I can tell you that compound has a bigger effect on traction than how deep the lugs are. There is a breaking point to where that becomes untrue, but for the most part, it's tread compound<tread design<tread depth. Each have to work with each other to provide the best traction. If you want a tire that lasts, you are going to give up traction, there is no way around it.