Sign in to follow this  

2009 drz400sm tail light.

that's the one I had on my bike well the previous owner did and he 12 o'clocked it and busted it all up.. so I bought a universal light and now its always stuck on like its always on the break and kind of getting annoyed by it..so looking for a new one now

DRC Edge is by far the most popular for the DR-Z400 platform. We sell them by the gross. ;)

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/DRZ-Lighting-Electrical-c4909/

This^^^ I installed the third one this month just last night.. simple, quick install.

The license plate may need to be re-drilled to fit (does for a TX plate) or a add on bracket made.. but even that adds only a few minutes.

You can source OEM like connectors if you want and once installed on the tail light wiring you have a no cut plug and play set up. 

I just want something plug and play no resistors, just the wiring matches and solder it and call it a day..will the drc do that?

I just want something plug and play no resistors, just the wiring matches and solder it and call it a day..will the drc do that?

Yes, I did exactly this with mine. Never soldered anything before that, it was a piece of cake.

This is the Thumpertalk part number for the tail light for the DRZ:  (D45-18-X06)

I went with the 601 flashers because they're small and unobtrusive. MUCH cleaner looking.

I didn't go with the flasher relay to slow the rate of the flashers.

I did smoke light/flashers. It's not as bright as I'd like, but I have no complaints. If I wanted it brighter, I'd install the 12 o clock labs processor board.

You will most likely have to drill the plate though (I had to drill my CA plate).

I can post pictures if there's interest.

Edited by seanscandalous
  • Like 1

YES.

You keep mentioning resistors.. the only time I know of they come into play is with turn signals.. if you install LED turn signals they will flash fast unless you add load (resisters) or change the flasher to a electronic unit. 

YES.

You keep mentioning resistors.. the only time I know of they come into play is with turn signals.. if you install LED turn signals they will flash fast unless you add load (resisters) or change the flasher to a electronic unit. 

the only reason I mentioned resistors is bc the old tail light was all busted up. So I bought a smoked tail light off ebay and when I wired it all up it has to much power going to it so it looks like the bikes brake light is always on.. in that case I would need resistors.. that's why I was asking about the DRC tail light

the one I bought off ebay I modified the DRC bracket that was from the old tail to fit the new one I bought..

the only reason I mentioned resistors is bc the old tail light was all busted up. So I bought a smoked tail light off ebay and when I wired it all up it has to much power going to it so it looks like the bikes brake light is always on.. in that case I would need resistors.. that's why I was asking about the DRC tail light

the one I bought off ebay I modified the DRC bracket that was from the old tail to fit the new one I bought..

Too much power??? ahh, no.. 

Different wattage bulb in the aftermarket one you bought vs the OEM 1157 12v 5watt/15watt perhaps.. but nothing to do with " to much power going to it "

so the DRC correct me if im wrong.. use the OEM specs for the DRZ400?

OEM Specs for what?

If you mean does the tail light and brake light on the DRC work correctly after a simple wiring to the OEM wiring harness.. Then yes, it works just fine.

Again, the only issue is blink rate with LED turn signals.... users can live with the faster rate, or install resistors, or install a electronic flasher. 

OEM Specs for what?

If you mean does the tail light and brake light on the DRC work correctly after a simple wiring to the OEM wiring harness.. Then yes, it works just fine.

Again, the only issue is blink rate with LED turn signals.... users can live with the faster rate, or install resistors, or install a electronic flasher. 

so I bought the DRC tail light and the brake light is still stuck on..ive checked the switches and cant see anything that could be wrong? any help? thanks

so I bought the DRC tail light and the brake light is still stuck on..ive checked the switches and cant see anything that could be wrong? any help? thanks

Wired wrong or  the brake light circuit is energized though another fault, like a brake light switch fault, mis adjustment, shorting .. something 

I found what it was, it was the switch under the bike by the rear brake.. it wasn't lined up so when you pushed the rear brake down it hit the switch but didn't disengage the switch. thanks for all your guys help!

Anyone know a good tail light that you wont have to wire in resistors that will use the stock wiring? thanks

As noted the edge TAIL light is a great light and needs no other wiring trickery to work. 

Turn signals are another story... if you install LED turn signals you will need to wire in a resister to each side, or use a electronic flasher. https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/DRC-IC-Relay-p2006835265.html