New bike

Just picked up this 07 crf150rb for 2000$ has a custom suspension ,pro circuit exhaust and pro taper bars ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392587808.298972.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392587821.765191.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392587833.564848.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392587846.281709.jpg

well, thats a better deal than I got for my brother.  Paid $2250 for it and the only thing it had extra were bark busters.  Good deal.  How do you like it so far?

well, thats a better deal than I got for my brother. Paid $2250 for it and the only thing it had extra were bark busters. Good deal. How do you like it so far?

love it!! have only got to ride it for about a hour... What are some things I should know about the bike?

love it!! have only got to ride it for about a hour... What are some things I should know about the bike?

overall, its a pretty good bike.  In 2007 there was a recall on the cam, but that is a hard one to tell if it was done by the PO unless they know and tell you.  Valves shouldn't be an issue as Honda used steel in these bikes vice titanium in the bigger bikes.  You just gotta keep up the maintenance on them.  And when I say maintenance, I am not talking typical old XR owner who throws in gas and changes the oil once a season and thinks its good.  Keep the airfilter spotless and replace if needed.  Keep the carb clean and the jets flowing.  Check wheel, stem, linkage, swingarm and shock bearings.  If they are bad, you gotta change them.  Make sure the chain and sprockets stay well lubed and replace when they are worn.  oil changes, oil changes, oil changes.  Both crankcase and tranny.  Think of these babies as little formula one engines.  Higher compression, high revving, and a good amount of HP for the CCs.  Fork oil.  Some people don;t eeven know it needs changed.  I do it at least three a season if not more (four last year due to races and track days).  same with the rear shock.

it sounds like a lot, but like the old saying goes, how do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time.  If you keep up on those things, then a top end change when needed should be your only issue.  its still winter and good time to tackle some of those items and get to a good starting point where you know your bike's history.

it a game of pay now, or pay later.

Oh, and if that T4 has a sparky on it, pull it off and clean the screen from time to time.

Edited by Go Big Red

overall, its a pretty good bike. In 2007 there was a recall on the cam, but that is a hard one to tell if it was done by the PO unless they know and tell you. Valves shouldn't be an issue as Honda used steel in these bikes vice titanium in the bigger bikes. You just gotta keep up the maintenance on them. And when I say maintenance, I am not talking typical old XR owner who throws in gas and changes the oil once a season and thinks its good. Keep the airfilter spotless and replace if needed. Keep the carb clean and the jets flowing. Check wheel, stem, linkage, swingarm and shock bearings. If they are bad, you gotta change them. Make sure the chain and sprockets stay well lubed and replace when they are worn. oil changes, oil changes, oil changes. Both crankcase and tranny. Think of these babies as little formula one engines. Higher compression, high revving, and a good amount of HP for the CCs. Fork oil. Some people don;t eeven know it needs changed. I do it at least three a season if not more (four last year due to races and track days). same with the rear shock.

it sounds like a lot, but like the old saying goes, how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. If you keep up on those things, then a top end change when needed should be your only issue. its still winter and good time to tackle some of those items and get to a good starting point where you know your bike's history.

it a game of pay now, or pay later.

Oh, and if that T4 has a sparky on it, pull it off and clean the screen from time to time.

dang man thanks for the advice what did you use it for?

dang man thanks for the advice what did you use it for?

For cleaning the screen?  Just a wire brush.  You are basically taking off the carbon that is blocking some of the holes on the screen.  This will allow the exhaust to flow properly and not restrict the engine.

For cleaning the screen? Just a wire brush. You are basically taking off the carbon that is blocking some of the holes on the screen. This will allow the exhaust to flow properly and not restrict the engine.

no I mean what did you use the bike for?

no I mean what did you use the bike for?

My brother gave me the cash to buy this bike for him.  Then it came back to our stable and I get to be his mechanic (I love working on bikes).  So, it is mainly a trail bike, but I want to try and get him out on the track.  It is currently set up for track by one of the POs and I intend to keep it that way.  I also need to mess with the carb as there is a flat spot at about quarter to half throttle.  Most likely a needle change or needle clip adjustment.  It almost hits like a very tame two stroke if you are in too high of a gear.  Ripping from first through top gear it accelerates fine.

My brother gave me the cash to buy this bike for him. Then it came back to our stable and I get to be his mechanic (I love working on bikes). So, it is mainly a trail bike, but I want to try and get him out on the track. It is currently set up for track by one of the POs and I intend to keep it that way. I also need to mess with the carb as there is a flat spot at about quarter to half throttle. Most likely a needle change or needle clip adjustment. It almost hits like a very tame two stroke if you are in too high of a gear. Ripping from first through top gear it accelerates fine.

my shifts good through 5th that bike loves being run hard and fast been cleaning it good for the couple days I've had have to order a new air filter, tires and plastics because I'm going for a clean bike look