Sign in to follow this  

18500 miles and i just had my first.....mechanical?.....failure.

Well the z is turning 19 soon and I just breathed a bit of new life in her last week, but to day i discovered a shocking failure in the garage! I have never seen this before....

It seems my license plate is slowly destroying its self via a SSW MRD death. The plate was fine two days ago but today after long ride (all street) it seems to be tearing in half. Either way i thought it was funny that my bike is outlasting its license plate and thought I would share it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

ummmmm mechanically no.. cosmetic yes lol      dude ive gone through like 6 license plates so  im amazed yours has lasted so long.  i resorted to zip ties.   maybe the vibrations and bending the plate a few times has severely weakend it

I've seen rubber nut retainers up here(Canada), basically allows you to rubber mount things to a solid item, like a plate holder.

You might want to try them next time.

my old bmw 650 x moto did a similar thing after about a thousand miles.  After that i had to keep make a bracket that could bolt the plate down in 4 places instead of two because the license plate would rip itself apart from vibrating. 

lol well i happy to see I'm not alone! I was so carefull with this plate not to bend it in anyway but looks like it's going to be time for a new one soon. I geuss this is as good of time as any to go ahead and get a vanity plate.

ummmmm mechanically no.. cosmetic yes lol      dude ive gone through like 6 license plates so  im amazed yours has lasted so long.  i resorted to zip ties.   maybe the vibrations and bending the plate a few times has severely weakend it

Yeah , screw the number plate onto some aluminium plate , then bolt it on .

I've lost a license plate before...luckly some nice guy stopped, picked it up and followed me to my destination. 

I've never seen a license plate crack in half though...I guess it is a matter of time till my MRD/SSW does the same.

Mine used to do this I have the same tail light. What I did was lay a few peices of double sided permanent foam strips on the bracket to try and absorb some of those vibrations but not blocking the two middle holes. and tightened it dowm with the two center holes on the bracket. I went through 3 lisince plates before I did this and now no more cracks!!