Will the Fuel Injection on a 450R work on a 450X?

Sitting hear wondering if it could work. It seems like it could but I'm not sure.

I doubt it. I don't know how the 450R system works, but there will need to be an ignition trigger for the efi so the injector knows when to fire, and how often. I doubt the X motor has the ability to make that work without significant modification.

The air metering, fuel pump, and throttle body, are all obstacles that could be easily made to work. But that trigger is the kicker.

Yeah it would need a cam and or crank timing sensor. But I don't know if that's what they use. Will also need some type of mass air flow sensor to adjust fuel requirements. Again I don't know how that's done on a bike.

Yeah it would need a cam and or crank timing sensor. But I don't know if that's what they use. Will also need some type of mass air flow sensor to adjust fuel requirements. Again I don't know how that's done on a bike.

Bikes don't use a mass flow sensor or an oxygen sensor...they run a basic open loop system

Most everything will cross over and work on the X.

One stumbling block.

The EFI requires two crank position sensors. These are located 180 degrees apart from each other in the ignition cover. You would have to custom machine a new cover and a flywheel to signal them.

Honda has done it...

CRF450X_Fuel_Injection.jpg

Yeh, but it's that one piece that makes the project virtually impossible for 99.9% of the population.

Yeh, but it's that one piece that makes the project virtually impossible for 99.9% of the population.

What? You don't have a Haas 5 axis CNC in your garage??? :p

Me neither...

A Virtial 3-d printer would work too. 

A Virtial 3-d printer would work too.

The printed case wouldn't have a very long life. Or would it?

The printed case wouldn't have a very long life. Or would it?

It's not really 'printed', it's layered plastic sheeting.

I love how the electronics are inside what appears to be a small fishing lure box you get at Walmart.

It's not really 'printed', it's layered plastic sheeting.

I know, but would the layered plastic be able to stand up to whatever I decide to make my 450 do? Like desert riding?

I know, but would the layered plastic be able to stand up to whatever I decide to make my 450 do? Like desert riding?

Are you seriously considering going from carb to FI?

There is no advantage.

As long as you don't crash, you'll be fine!

They do have powdered metal printing now too. People make tools with it. I think it's called "scintered"?? Anyways, you could make a robust case with that. Not that any of us have a scintered metal printer either, but..........

http://www.solidconcepts.com/technologies/direct-metal-laser-sintering-dmls/

Edited by yellowdatsun

The whole world is going from carb to efi, you better get on board. The same arguments were made back in the 70's and 80's when they switched cars over from carbs to efi. Everyone was afraid of making the switch to efi. Now nobody would dream of using a carb on a car/truck. It will be the same thing with bikes in a few years.

The whole world is going from carb to efi, you better get on board. The same arguments were made back in the 70's and 80's when they switched cars over from carbs to efi. Everyone was afraid of making the switch to efi. Now nobody would dream of using a carb on a car/truck. It will be the same thing with bikes in a few years.

The motivation for EFI (closed loop) was for consistent emissions over 5 years, and increased mileage. 

Most performance based cars took another 10 years to get reliable direct fuel injection.

Most performance EFI systems in the days of carbs, were not so hot. Ask any BMW owner.

We are going through the same thing with motorcycles.

Yes, Snomobiles and boats have FI (closed loop), that are  reliable, but they are constant rpm motors more or less.

Currently, there are no off-road motorcycles with 'real' closed loop FI systems, accept for the 2011 Husqvarna TE's....and they worked horribly.

The Keihin TB / ECU system is closer to an 'electronic carb' than real FI.

There is a reason that KTM, Honda, BMW, Ducati, all use carbs on their DAKAR bikes.....they want them to finish....

Someday this will change.

My point was that the carb system on the X is one of the best  carbs every produced by man, and when it is 'finished' (properly set up) it is more reliable and nearly as immediate in throttle response as any motorcycle FI....without the added complications of contamination of the fuel pump system.

Snowmobiles are not a closed loop system and they are not a constant RPM motor, not even close

I for one would not put FI on my 450x. My Carb is perfect, but I guess i'm just lucky... Four (Honda 450x's) all had the same setup that ran perfect without an issue. However, I did tear them down every year to clean and replace any dirty/worn parts. :thumbsup: Until the bike manufacturers can make a reliable FI system that will work. I'll stick to my old carb... I ride with a friend that has a 2011 KTM 350 that's FI and he is still having stalling issues after 3 years of changing everything possible (except the bike). Now wishes that he still had his 450x :devil:

The new Honda and KTM Rally bikes are FI. Yamaha is also running FI in Dakar.

The new Honda and KTM Rally bikes are FI. Yamaha is also running FI in Dakar.

Yes they are