Help! KTM it is, BUT which one?

I'm going to buy a brand new bike.  it will be my 1st, and at the young age of 37!  i have been on and around bikes, but I'm not even close to experienced.  I'm 6'2 185#'s.  I'm getting this to start putting around with my 6yr old, whom is probably a better rider than me!  I'm not going to be hitting the motocross track, but who's to say i may not grow a set in the next few years, lol...  it will be used on our property which is 1/2 open 1/2 trees.  we may hit some tree trails nearby some-times, and who knows what else.  i guess I'm looking for a nice all around bike that i won't get bored of when the day comes that I'm feeling confident.  i want to have fun, but also want to see my kids grow old ?  any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!!  oh, btw, if you ask why ktm...  no reason other than i really like the color and way they look, and a good friend of mine is a manager at the local dealer.

Narrow it down a bit. Do you want two strokes or four? There are positives with each but are very different. Also what kind of rider are you -other than a bit inexperienced as you said- an adrenalin junkie or a scenery gazer? KTM makes a bike for every use so it's not the easiest thing to pin down. I'll automatically assume you'll want to be in the XC section of KTM if you will be doing both track and trail...

You need a Freeride. It's basically a big trials bike with a seat. 350cc, four stroke, very torque-oriented and with a heavy flywheel. Unfortunately as a trials bike variant, they have a fairly low seat height which at 6"2' is not in your favor. Most likely there is a tall seat available. People that have them, love them.

KTM really only offers racing bikes with the exception of the Freeride and adventure bikes, so my suggestion was pretty easy. Check it out on Youtube, it's a pretty neat bike and probably perfect for you.

Edited by sandlvr69

Excuse me Mr. Willy, but the 350EXc is a full-on race bike. Not suited to the task.

No more race suited than the freeride. I've ridden them as a young teenager with no issues. It's all about the riders abilities, not the bikes. It doesn't have to ridden at race speed if the rider doesn't want to ride it at race speed.. See what i mean?Any bike that isn't a race bike is going to get boring real fast for our 6'2" 185;bs friend over here.

As much as I'd love a freeride too, they just aren't practical for you average rider. 

• Like 1

On the contrary, the Freeride is EXTREMELY practical for your average scenery-gazer, shepherding his kids. I have an XR600 for that exact chore. It doesn't need a tenth the maintenance my race bikes do.

If you think a freeride will have less maintenance than the 350 you are incorrect. The freeride is as much of a race bike as the 350. You backed my case by comparing it to your xr600, they're not even in the same league of bikes. 

And your average "kid sheepherder" is also going to have an issue with gathering the coin to pay for one. It may be practical in every way, but if it's not practical on the wallet, then the rest are null.

On the contrary, the Freeride is EXTREMELY practical for your average scenery-gazer, shepherding his kids. I have an XR600 for that exact chore. It doesn't need a tenth the maintenance my race bikes do.

where exactly is he going to get a freeride in the states. To my knowledge they weren't available here. I personally think a 250 xcfw would be great for him. Nice light bike with a wide ratio transmission and a less complex pds suspension

KTM 200 2t......6spd, electric start, good reliability, easy to learn on, easy and cheap to maintain and great resale value when you might need a upgrade.......

No doubt this is the bike for you. I started back at 40 on a 300XC, having little experience before. The KTM two strokes are awesome bikes with controllable power that you will never get bored with
  • Like 1

Really?! No Freerides in the states and it's been out for TWO YEARS? I wouldn't have imagined it.

The reason I suggested it is that it's KTM's only non race offroad bike. Everything else is gonna be very snappy for him.

Open it up to other brands and it's Yamaha's TTR230 for an obvious win.

I bought a TTR230 when I started back riding 3 years ago and was bored to tears within a month. Dependable bike, but no pep and suspension was horrendous for a bigger rider. I sold it and gave up for 2 more years until I got a deal on a 300XC. I wouldn't say they are snappy. They have plenty of power, but are tame compared to MX bikes. If you are old enough to realize that you need to exercise throttle control, then the XCs are great bikes. I wanted something that would last me for a long time, so I didn't want a starter bike that I would be trading in six months. I am still learning technique, and rarely get on the pipe, but I know as I progress the power will be there. I have basically learned how to ride on this bike, and couldn't be happier. I think Monk's suggestion of a 200 is perfect. A good, controllable bike that will never bore you

BUT this guy is buying a bike to herd his kids around. Did you buy it for that?

I wouldn't want one either, I ride at race levels and on race bikes. I'm just trying to get the guy on something that's gonna work for him and it doesn't look like KTM wants to sell it to him.

BUT this guy is buying a bike to herd his kids around. Did you buy it for that?

I wouldn't want one either, I ride at race levels and on race bikes. I'm just trying to get the guy on something that's gonna work for him and it doesn't look like KTM wants to sell it to him.

I understand that he said he will start riding with kids, but he also said he might grow a pair. I am far, far away from being a racer, but I would rather have too much power than not enough. Saying that all KTMs are race bikes is just not accurate. An XC is a totally different animal than an SX. Seriously, I am not good at all compared to the guys I try to ride with, but I wouldn't want any less power. I haven't ridden a 200, but I assume it is even more mellow than the 300

I understand that he said he will start riding with kids, but he also said he might grow a pair. I am far, far away from being a racer, but I would rather have too much power than not enough. Saying that all KTMs are race bikes is just not accurate. An XC is a totally different animal than an SX. Seriously, I am not good at all compared to the guys I try to ride with, but I wouldn't want any less power. I haven't ridden a 200, but I assume it is even more mellow than the 300

hell get a 500 dual sport it and he could take that route too budget allowing

Whether you realize it or not, you did yourself a big favor by starting out on too small a bike. Take from this someone who was riding a CR250 at 11 years old. Too much bike is not only not fun but counterproductive to building skill sets.

Well if the OP is intent on purchasing KTM new, I guess the 150XC, 250XC or 200XC-W is it. A lot of bike for a newbie.