2013 KTM 300XC - Unleashing The Beast

Getting ready to finish off the 300 so I figured I would document the process here. If it helps some others great, if not... hey I tried!!

What this thread will cover are a few things. Since I will have the bike apart I am going to tackle a few tasks at once.

1) Slavens Racing Head

2) Primary Cover Gasket Upgrade - Cometic Gasket from Slavens

3) Electric starter servicing

4) Shorai Battery

Obviously cleanliness is next to dirt bike godliness when doing this kind of work so I took the seat and tank off, gave everything a quick spray with simple green and then hit it with the power washer. You want to make sure you get all the dirt and crap out of the wiring harness. You do not want anything dropping in to the cylinder once the head has been removed.

IMG_20140216_154104.jpg

Since I was cleaning it up I took the opportunity to clean the air box as well.

IMG_20140216_154125.jpg

Already installed is the CDI Box from a 2013 250SX - Throttle response with this mod is immediate. The difference is very noticeable.

IMG_20140216_160526.jpg

I have removed the silencer, pipe, brake pedal, TMD skid plate, and kick starter prepping for parts to start arriving tomorrow and Tuesday. As parts are being removed they to are being cleaned and where applicable greased for reassembly.

Your bike is amazingly clean.  I am impressed with everything you have done with it. 

How many hours have you put on it since new?

I've got 25 hours on the bike so far. Lately I have been doing long haul desert rides and my 450 is the weapon of choice for that. Bought the 300 this past August.

I've got 25 hours on the bike so far. Lately I have been doing long haul desert rides and my 450 is the weapon of choice for that. Bought the 300 this past August.

What kind of desert riding, where at?? I rode SoCal and loved LucerneValley, ElMirage, RedMountain, Stoddard. Nothing in Texas compares

What kind of desert riding, where at?? I rode SoCal and loved LucerneValley, ElMirage, RedMountain, Stoddard. Nothing in Texas compares

Southern AZ. Been doing loops going from Green Valley down to the border and back. Average loop is between 100 - 150 miles. Great riding down there.

IMO to unleash the 300, and to tame the lower RPMs to make them more controllable, do wut I did. It redefined my 300:

FMF Fatty pipe

FMF Powercore II silence

Red power valve spring, manually adjusted to ur liking

Slightly thicker base gasket

Already have the FMF pipe and silencer. Taking it a step further with the CDI and Head.

Started on the primary gasket tonight. First in order is removing the power valve cover and removing the power valve arm. Notice there is a small clip at the base of the ball socket on the power valve arm. This clip needs to be removed in order to take of the power valve arm.

IMG_20140217_181618.jpg

Here is the clip.

IMG_20140217_182008.jpg

Great tool for removing said clip.

IMG_20140217_182427.jpg

With the clip removed you can pop the arm off with a gentle tug.

IMG_20140217_182244.jpg

Next steps are the most important. Remove the primary cover and KEEP TRACK OF WHAT SCREWS GO WHERE! Both the primary cover and engine case need to be spotless! Sterile even!! Just make sure you don't gouge the sealing surface or you are just asking for a leak when your done!!

IMG_20140217_185103.jpg

IMG_20140217_190250.jpg

Time to wrap it up in the shop tonight. Tomorrow I should be putting the primary back together and then starting on either the head or the starter, haven't decided which yet :-)

Dang good looking bike, wish my 300 was that clean! What's the purpose of putting slaven's upgraded primary gasket on for? 

Dang good looking bike, wish my 300 was that clean! What's the purpose of putting slaven's upgraded primary gasket on for?

Actually Slavens has a video about it on YouTube. On the 2013 300's (maybe 12's not sure) the gasket will start to leak coolant where the water jacket goes from the water pump through the cases. The cometic gasket is much higher quality and prevents the problem.

Do you even ride that bike?? It is way too clean, cleaner then most bikes I've seen on the showroom floor, hell even your hands are clean after working on it :jawdrop:

Great thread Hezzdown, looking forward to more :thumbsup:

25 Hours?? C'mon Hezz.....you should quit messing with that bike and get out and ride it ;)  :ride: . You should be putting 25 hours a month on that bad boy :p

Joe

25 Hours?? C'mon Hezz.....you should quit messing with that bike and get out and ride it ;):ride: . You should be putting 25 hours a month on that bad boy :p

Joe

Easier said than done Joe! Having two bikes I enjoy equally makes it tuff. The 450 has been getting the 300's share of hours lately. The 450 is much more refined and dialed in at the moment so I tend to favor it. My only gripe about the 450 other than being a heavy pig was the suspension, mainly the forks. Well I got the suspension done on it last week and now the bike is amazing. My suspension guy nailed it and I honestly couldn't of asked for more.

I'm hoping to change that this week with the changes I'm making to the 300. I love the suspension on the 300, its about perfect in my book. Getting power to the ground has been another story. I feel like I am working way to hard to keep the rear end in check on it.

So I started putting more thought in to it and really analyzing the bike when I took it out. Also inquired here within TT to get opinions and see what setups others were running. The starter KTM recommended servicing so I figured I'd do it while I'm working on the bike. The primary gasket is getting done for obvious reasons. Crazy not to address that issue IMO. The Slavens head is to make the bike run stronger in the low to mid range and giving it more torque on bottom. I will combine that with 13/48 gearing and I think I will achieve exactly what I am after. Not to mention dropping a few pounds of weight up high in the bike with the battery.

Actually Slavens has a video about it on YouTube. On the 2013 300's (maybe 12's not sure) the gasket will start to leak coolant where the water jacket goes from the water pump through the cases. The cometic gasket is much higher quality and prevents the problem.

I'll have to check that out, never knew about that one. Thanks for the heads up

Where are these colored power valve springs located?  :popcorn: 

Where are these colored power valve springs located?  :popcorn: 

Under the PV spring cover.  See your owners manual.  Lay the bike on the left side and proceed. The small inner spring is the one you can change.

Springthing.jpg

Edited by zilla

Finished up the primary gasket tonight and installed the Slavens head.

Here is the stock paper primary gasket. No wonder it fails...

IMG_20140218_175519.jpg

And here is the Cometic gasket. It is for a lack of a better term, rubberized...

IMG_20140218_171419.jpg

All buttoned up and bolts torqued to 10 Nm.

IMG_20140218_180805.jpg

Then it was off to swap out the stock head.

Pulling the stocker off..

IMG_20140218_183948.jpg

Piston and cylinder looking nice as it should.

IMG_20140218_184523.jpg

Comparison of the stock (left) and the Slavens head (right)

IMG_20140218_184706.jpg

Then it was just matter of replacing the O-rings and torqueing the head down in three stages ending up at 27Nm. After work tomorrow I will fill up the fluids and make sure she is running good before putting everything back together. I also serviced the starter tonight. I didn't need to pull it apart as I had initially thought, everything was greased and clean.

IMG_20140218_190813.jpg

I have the Slavens Head on my 2013 300xc. It's a lot of fun! I don't remember seeing how much it actually raised the compression from stock. But I noticed a huge difference the first time I kicked my bike over! I removed my e-start, but I would be interested to hear if the extra compression causes any issues with the e-start? Does is struggle to start the bike after its been running?

Finished it all up. Fresh fluids, 48 tooth sprocket, and the shorai installed. Fired her up and let her run for a bit to check for any leaks. No leaks and she sounds mean. Should be a good weekend coming up :-D

IMG_20140219_113600.jpg

Your bike looks awesome!!! I love it.