Shock replacment help

Im wanting to maybe try to replace the forks and shock on my TTR-230. The forks seams pretty straight forward and shouldn't be all that difficult(i hope). The thing i need to check up on more is the shock. The overall length on the shock right know is only 15 inches. The actual swapping out the old shock and replacing it doesn't seam all that bad, im just not sure how long of a shock i can get. I was looking into something like a yz125 shock which is about 21 inches long. Is this to long? From what i can see on my bike it looks like it will just raise the seat high. Is this correct. Since replacing the forks is going to raise the front end a bit, raising the back should about equal it out. Am i anywhere close to being correct or is all am i wrong. I know most of you are probably thinking it is not worth while to replace the forks and shock, and that i should just get a new bike. I would if i could but i cant, it is just to much money at this time in my life(need to buy a car). It is alot cheaper to replace these two items and try and make this bike suitable for the next few years. So please no reply's telling me to just go buy a new bike.


Put the bike on something so the shock is uncompressed as in hanging with just the weight of the wheel and measure the distance from bolt to bolt on the shock and thats the length your looking for about 12mm longer is the most you want to go over and of course any shorter will lower the bike but say 12mm plus or minus and you shouldn't have any problems...... 

Why can you not go loner? will the rear tire not just pivot?? Could you not put as long a one as you wanted, the rear seat would just be lifted high?????

I assume the rear suspension on the bike has a linkage setup... if so then the swingarm can only rotate so far downward.  Honestly I don't see the point... Why not just re-spring and re-valve the suspension?  Or better yet sell the bike a buy another.  What are you using the bike for trail riding, mx, ice racing, etc...


I think there is no way you'll get a 21" shock to fit if the original one is 15".  Better start looking for one around 15-16" long.  If you want to know the longest shock that you can fit (not saying it’s a good idea), unbolt the shock and let he swingarm rotate downward till it stops and now measure between the stock mounting points.  Obviously you might run into issues with brake line/linkages, chain slack, linkage binding, etc…

Know that i look at it i see that there is no way to get a 21" shock in my bike. What ive heard of people doing is putting in a YZ80 shock(15.5" long) and then putting in a YZ250 spring on it. This sounds more like a reasonable thing to do.

Will re-spring and re-valving the suspension really do all that much on a crappy bike like a TTR-230. I know that it does wonders on better bikes but will it do so on mine??

What's wrong with the current setup/suspension?  I understand it's only a TTR-230... so what are you trying to do with it?  Maybe better off saving that money and selling the bike a getting a better one.  Unless you  plan on keeping this one in which case the YZ80 shock with a YZ250 spring sounds reasonable.  Granted the damping on the YZ80 shock might be too light for the weight of the TTR.  If you can re-valve the suspension yourself, then the expense is minimal.

The current set up of the suspension bottoms out to easily. Im not doing anything to hard on it either, im just trail riding. On the trails that i ride there are a few jumps that i hit and the odd small drop(like only 2-3 feet) nothing all that big. How much do you think it would cost to re-valve and re-spring the suspension. I might try and convince my dad that it wold be cheaper to just sell the old bike and get a new used one if it costs to much.

Regardless of bike a re-spring might be needed depending on your weight.  So a set of fork and shock springs will run you ~$200 (new).  The cost of servicing/re-springing/re-valving will depend on whether you can do it yourself.  It'll also depend on what you currently have for forks/shock (damper-rod vs. open-cartridge vs. closed-cartridge and the parts available).  I would say a basic service (new fluids, bushings, seals) and re-valve (buying a few shims) will cost you anywhere from $200 to $600 (DIY to sending it out).


Start by looking at sites like MX-Tech, RaceTech, etc.. to get an idea of what's available in terms of parts and services.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now