'93 DR650 mods/questions

DR.jpg Just purchased at '93 DR650 already started in on all the normal things after you buy a bike (sprockets, chain, cables, etc). My friend's dad owned a '93 650 also and was telling me about some things that he did and has heard of people doing but I want see if anyone else has heard these things or can shed some light. I was told that you could run a YZF carb with a normal air filter and delete the airbox entirely, if so what model, year or size? I can probably guess some jetting will need to happen if anyone knows the best set up. Also I relealize that the pre-96 models are hard to find aftermarket parts for, that being said what is the best exhaust you can find or would I need to retrofit something. Here's a pic of my DR after I started working on it, got the new hand guards and fender on.

Edited by JBRacer521

I'm not up to speed on the '93 but why would you want to remove the airbox, it's there for a reason?

Bruce

I run mine without the side lid.If jetted properly with a/f plug out stock carb will be fine.I wouldn't replace it unless you do a big bore. I have several dirt model carbs that are put back so if I need them but got the cv working good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Sorry mine are 350's not really sure on 650

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk