09 CRF 450 or 06 YZ 250

Getting back into riding a little moto and GNCC's after two years off and shoulder surgery for this 36 year old. Just come off of an 07 YZ 250 and have had several 450's.  Found good deals on two well maintained bikes. One is an 06 YZ250 that's low hrs and equipped with big tank and black rimmage. Next, is an 09 CRF 450 that is well maintained and mostly stock. Haven't ridden any of the 09-12 CRF's at all but my buddy had one and it was his favorite bike. They are close in price. Very torn on what to do (what a problem to have I know). HELP!!!

The 09 450R has a TERRIBLE reputation. I love CRs and CRFs but I wouln't touch an 09 Honda 450 with a 10 foot stick.

Edit: or a '10 either.

Edited by sandlvr69

2009 450R hands down.

You'll love it.!

1221131320.jpg

1221131323a.jpg

Nice scooter Falcon. Do you know how it compares to the 2-strokes? I really like the way those 09-12 bikes look.

The yz250 has the proven reputation here. it'll treat you better in the woods too.

YZ, its just a better overall bike then the CRF......

The 09 450R has a TERRIBLE reputation. I love CRs and CRFs but I wouln't touch an 09 Honda 450 with a 10 foot stick.

Edit: or a '10 either.

Most all of the 450R's need mod work straight off the show room floor. This applies to all models to include the 11, 12, 13, and 14. 

None of them are optimal (ideal/perfect) from the dealer new. They all require mod work. 

What sort of mod work would you recommend?

What sort of mod work would you recommend?

An 06-08. No mod work needed.

I'm being facetious. To my understanding, the 09 needed different springs and valving. The word that came up on every magazine test was 'stinkbug'.

Jetting and starting probems as well. you need to get the tuner and play with setup- far from the stock settings. They went through a lot of fuel pumps as well if I'm not mistaken.

First year teething pains.

I'm being facetious. To my understanding, the 09 needed different springs and valving. The word that came up on every magazine test was 'stinkbug'.

Jetting and starting probems as well. you need to get the tuner and play with setup- far from the stock settings. They went through a lot of fuel pumps as well if I'm not mistaken.

I just come off of an 07 yz and it was fun but wore me out fast. I hear the GYTR FWW helps with that as well as cornering and hoo-up. Have you tried a FWW?

You are correct with respect to the "stinkbug" effect on the 09 and later models. However, once the suspension has been properly modified/dialed in with the .048 mm/kg springs, damper, shock dialed in it's a completely different bike all together.

I have a 09 450R, and had Factory Connection mod my suspension to include the forks, damper, shock, and FC lowering link to drop the rear by 10 mm's (less than 1/2 inch). It rides great post mod work. Also, the 10, 11, 12, and 13's are the same way and require suspension work to get them dialed in. The 14 450R comes with the heavier fork springs (.048's) which makes it much better than the earlier models, but it still needs to be setup specifically to the rider's weight.

With respect to the engine, the 450R's are really no different than all the other bikes, Green, Yellow, Orange, and Blue.. they can all be improved with bigger pistons, cams, port/polish work, remap, exhaust, clutches, etc.. once the 09 is properly setup and modified, it screams and handles like a dream. I have an modified 09 and a new 14 450R; the 09 is setup and handles much better on the track.

Any bike can be improved, it just depends on how well you want it to handle.

Cheers.

1221131320.jpg

1221131321a.jpg

1221131321c.jpg

1221131323a.jpg

Very well said Falcon 1.

2009 450R hands down.

You'll love it.!

Falcon is that the standard front fender on your bike or an aftermarket brand?

The CRF from that year is problematic so if the engine is stock I would be worried. I'm definitely a 2 stroke guy but if you're wanting to be super competitive in GNCC you're going to want a 450.

Falcon is that the standard front fender on your bike or an aftermarket brand?

That's the factory/OEM (original to the bike) front fender.. 

Well I went for the 09 CRF. Rode it for 3hrs last weekend and I love the bike. Done some suspension tuning on it. I will have to get a softer shock spring and the lowering link to bring the rear of the bike down and have the correct rates for my weight. I looked at several links. Has anyone tried the Kouba link?

Well I went for the 09 CRF. Rode it for 3hrs last weekend and I love the bike. Done some suspension tuning on it. I will have to get a softer shock spring and the lowering link to bring the rear of the bike down and have the correct rates for my weight. I looked at several links. Has anyone tried the Kouba link?

Congratulations of the bike.. you made the right choice. Can't go wrong when you ride Red.!

I have the Factory Connection link on my 450R. Works great. I have the Kouba link on my wife's 230F. The FC link lowers the rear of the 450R by 10 mm's (less than 1/2 inch). It really levels the bike out nicely, and handles great.

Enjoy that bike.. 

1212131506b.jpg

0220141740.jpg

1221131320.jpg

1221131323a.jpg