Sign in to follow this  

How much would you pay? Project

hey guys pretty new on here but have a question for everyone. A local guy is selling a 05 yz250 for $700. The bike does need quite a bit. He says its mostly all there and complete took it apart 3 years ago to fix but never fixed or finshed it. so I know itll be missing some things im sure.  

Bike Needs:
- complete motor rebuild top n bottom
- needs new swing arm cuz guy cut chain quide off for some reason
- needs rear wheel and all brake components  
- sprocket/chain kit
- seat and plastics look like shit so will need replacing

Im pretty much thinking to buy it for a project bike which it pretty much is. Not my first bike got 06 450, 99 426 n 87 cr125. Just trying to see what you guys would be willing to pay for a project like so. im thinkin about offering him $400-$500 for all the stuff he has.

Attached pic of the bike below

yz bike.jpg

Edited by 450Doktor18

That's a pile of parts. Worth a few hundred on ebay. That's NOT a restoration bike. Too far, too gone.

• Like 2

700 isn't a terrible price. 03+ yz250s go for 2000 or more up here and my full motor rebuild with new crank, piston, cylinder and head were about 1000. I'd buy it, and before you replace the swingarm I'd have a couple welders look at it to see if they could weld on the bracket for the chain house guide

If you have the patience,here's an approximate list of what it'd cost to make it look half decent.

Motor rebuild- 500

swingarm - 100

Rear wheel plus brakes - 300

Sprocket/Chain - 100

Plastics - 150

Also, you have to assume bolts and shit are missing. SO there's probably another $100 just in misc parts alone.

So you're looking at about $1200 plus the purchase price to make this into something that actually resembles a bike. Like I said, if you have the time, and are quick on eBay, you might be able to get a nice bike for around $1500. i love projects, so personally if you could get it for the $300-400 range I'd hop on it.

EDIT:

Forgot about bearings and bushings etc. that's probably another $300-400 which makes this a little less undesirable. 

Edited by BoxcarWilly
  • Like 1

Did they cut the swing arm or was is broken off in a crash? I would walk away from that bike if you plan to restore it and ride it. It would easily cost over what a used bike that's complete would.

That bike is clapped & would need every bushing, rubber piece, probably fork seals, wheel bearings, new plastics, looks like the seat cover is torn, appears to be missing the front brake caliper & rotor as well, the bars look bent (hard to tell in that pic though), gas vent hose is missing, gonna need tires & I don't see a rear wheel anywhere in that pic? Does the back tire & the brake rotor & rear caliper come with it?  See if the radiator is cracked too.  I'm guessing you will find a lot of misc stuff he lost that will start to add to the cost of the project as well.  For what you would stick into it & the sweat labor you could find a much nicer used bike & less headache.  

If you're up for it, can get it for 3 to 4 hundred, and have moneu, you could dump money into it and make it perfect for around $1900 I'm assuming.

That's a total of $2200 which is what nice YZ250s goes for around here, so I believe you'd break even, but I'm not sure if it's worth the headache. Buy a used one, put less into it, and get the same bike, while spending the same amount of cash.

I like projects too, but don't bike off more than you can chew... I mean fix.

Are you kidding?!? Do not ever return to the place where that bike is located. You are better off buying 700 lotto tickets. That is the biggest pile of crap I have ever seen. DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT give that guy any money! He should be paying you to take it! 

• Like 1

Are you kidding?!? Do not ever return to the place where that bike is located. You are better off buying 700 lotto tickets. That is the biggest pile of crap I have ever seen. DO NOT....I repeat DO NOT give that guy any money! He should be paying you to take it! 

+1

I am a big fan of projects, because when they're complete you know exactly what you have....but that is just too far gone...

Edited by Fattonz

Building is more fun than buying,  I picked up a 05 yz250f for 100$ it was in 5 seperate boxes, cracked piston, ruined cylinder and bottom end etc.

For less than 1000$ all in it turned out like this, hand built the wheels, rebuilt the whole thing head to toe.

yz250f001.jpg

Offer 500 max, its a pile of parts but 05 yz250 is a good bike when built. Anything you need is dirt cheap off ebay for the yz250.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replys guys I really appreciate all the imput. I know its def pretty far gone for sure. I did have the thought to rebuild it bc like few you said I love projects. thought might flip it but looked up n did some numbers with parts don't think there is anyway that could make money off of it. Been thinking about keeping it for myself to build if I can get it for the right price. I actually haven't seen the bike in person yet that was just a screen shot off my phone of the add he has up online. About the swing arm one of you asked about, I asked him how the hell he broke it but he said he cut off the chain guide for some reason I guess :banghead: again thanks for all input def helps me think about it.

Well he wouldnt take $400 for everything. Didn't want to pay anymore then that. Still thinks he's got a gem. Wouldn't budge at all off $700 so that's that.

Edited by 450Doktor18

Well he wouldnt take $400 for everything. Didn't want to pay anymore then that. Still thinks he's got a gem. Wouldn't budge at all off $700 so that's that.

I'm sure he'll be kickin' himself later on when he realizes he could have sold it for $400.  Some people are just too attached to their junk...

• Like 2

Basic rule is, if the current owner will not fix the bike to running condition, then it is a money loser. Meaning it will end up costing more to buy and repairt han you could sell it for. New parts have zero added value on a used bike. You must always include labor (including time to find and acquire parts). If you do not include labor, please call me, I have a job for you.

• Like 1

You must always include labor (including time to find and acquire parts). If you do not include labor, please call me, I have a job for you.

+1

What is your time worth to you?  Whenever I spend time in the garage, it comes at the price of time away from wife and kids.  That is time I would actually rather spend riding the bike.  I mean wrenching is cool, but within reason...

Edited by Fattonz

Dude did you a huge favor by sticking to his price. 

• Like 2

Another thing I found out today that I thought for sure he would want to get rid of it was that the bike it has been apart for 3 years!! Hes getting married, bought a house and moving..you think he would want to get rid of the pile of scrap lol but getting back to the "project" portion of it. Im honestly only 25 not married or no kids yet but been with  my gf for 4 yrs who I ride with. she has 05 rmz250. I use to wrench for local motorsports company (don georges sport center) still get dealer cost on parts but im a machinist now. I always love spinning wrench and working on anything. That's kinda why when saw this kinda had a ton of ideas to build it the way I wanted it all custom/powder coated etc. Money n labor wouldn't be a issue for it since would of ended up being for myself would of just wrenched on it when had time.

• Like 1