09 ktm electric starter kit

Hi I jusu recently put together a 2003 ktm 450 sx with new everything on it, love the bike but man is it a pain to kick start, so I found a guy thats parting out with a 2009 ktm 450 cx-f and has the complete starter kit with gears and everythyng, my question to you guys is " does a starter kit off of a 09 ktm 450 cx f work for my 03 ktm 450 sx?" Iwould really appreciate some good feed back thanks for your time.

Probably not, the engine cases are different. But u can check by downloading the parts manuals and researchin that urself.

Thats how i do most my mods and alterations. I research as much as i can then using that info i either pull the trigger or move on

How about the electrical components like the harness, relay, battery+battery holder???

no and no.

If its hard to start you have other issues.

Jetting and valve clearance are the first places to look if you have a relatively fresh engine with good compression.

So I found a manual that explains how to install an electric starter kit on ktm 450sx bikes 2000-2007, so I ordered gears and a starter motor from ebay but the only thing that has me thinking is that the manual mentions that all 450s 2000-2003 need to get the flywheel replaced with a flywheel part # 590.39.005.100, but instead of doin that couldnt I just replace it with a flywheel from a 2004-2007 ktm 450sx? The reason why I ask is because I happen to have a spare 04 sx flywheel. and do I also really have to replace the stator?

Any advice is helpfull and welcome

If you have the right stator that only came on early SX bikes (4 wires 1 red, 1 black , 1 yellow & 1 black w/ yellow stripe) then you are good to go. (after you extend the ground wire and buy a TT regulator)

If not you will need a new FW and stator from a EXC/MXC (they are not interchangeable)

The 04-06sx stators have no charging coil, so no way to charge a battery

There was no SX in 07.

Edited by jar944

Mine has 3 cables a black, yellow and red with a white stripe.

Mine has 3 cables a black, yellow and red with a white stripe.

the 4th is inside the cover

So if its the stock one i should be good then? Because ive seen an extra plug that just hangs on my bike and a spade connector thats not being used. Sorry if I sound stupid it just that I really dont know jack about bikes, this is my first 4 stroke ive owned but i really a the knowledge your providing me with.

So if its the stock one i should be good then? Because ive seen an extra plug that just hangs on my bike and a spade connector thats not being used. Sorry if I sound stupid it just that I really dont know jack about bikes, this is my first 4 stroke ive owned but i really a the knowledge your providing me with.

yes your stock stator will work, but you still need a regulator/rectifier (from trail tech) and you need to extend the 4th internal wire (by soldering on a extension) to the new regulator.

you also need

a battery

battery box

starter relay and fuse block

all associated wiring

ignition switch

basically everything here:

59012045444.jpg