Sign in to follow this  

09 ktm electric starter kit

Hi I jusu recently put together a 2003 ktm 450 sx with new everything on it, love the bike but man is it a pain to kick start, so I found a guy thats parting out with a 2009 ktm 450 cx-f and has the complete starter kit with gears and everythyng, my question to you guys is " does a starter kit off of a 09 ktm 450 cx f work for my 03 ktm 450 sx?" Iwould really appreciate some good feed back thanks for your time.

Probably not, the engine cases are different. But u can check by downloading the parts manuals and researchin that urself.

Thats how i do most my mods and alterations. I research as much as i can then using that info i either pull the trigger or move on

no and no.

If its hard to start you have other issues.

Jetting and valve clearance are the first places to look if you have a relatively fresh engine with good compression.

So I found a manual that explains how to install an electric starter kit on ktm 450sx bikes 2000-2007, so I ordered gears and a starter motor from ebay but the only thing that has me thinking is that the manual mentions that all 450s 2000-2003 need to get the flywheel replaced with a flywheel part # 590.39.005.100, but instead of doin that couldnt I just replace it with a flywheel from a 2004-2007 ktm 450sx? The reason why I ask is because I happen to have a spare 04 sx flywheel. and do I also really have to replace the stator?

Any advice is helpfull and welcome

If you have the right stator that only came on early SX bikes (4 wires 1 red, 1 black , 1 yellow & 1 black w/ yellow stripe) then you are good to go. (after you extend the ground wire and buy a TT regulator)

If not you will need a new FW and stator from a EXC/MXC (they are not interchangeable)

The 04-06sx stators have no charging coil, so no way to charge a battery

There was no SX in 07.

Edited by jar944

Mine has 3 cables a black, yellow and red with a white stripe.

the 4th is inside the cover

So if its the stock one i should be good then? Because ive seen an extra plug that just hangs on my bike and a spade connector thats not being used. Sorry if I sound stupid it just that I really dont know jack about bikes, this is my first 4 stroke ive owned but i really a the knowledge your providing me with.

So if its the stock one i should be good then? Because ive seen an extra plug that just hangs on my bike and a spade connector thats not being used. Sorry if I sound stupid it just that I really dont know jack about bikes, this is my first 4 stroke ive owned but i really a the knowledge your providing me with.

yes your stock stator will work, but you still need a regulator/rectifier (from trail tech) and you need to extend the 4th internal wire (by soldering on a extension) to the new regulator.

you also need

a battery

battery box

starter relay and fuse block

all associated wiring

ignition switch

basically everything here:

59012045444.jpg