Plastidipping tank

I have a yellow S and want to go black it there any problem plastidipping the metal tank how shoulD I go about this?

I have a yellow S and want to go black it there any problem plastidipping the metal tank how shoulD I go about this?

I wouldn't bother. The dip will rub off where your legs contact the tank with in a week.

im pretty sure the  moment you spill a itty bitty bit of gas it will eat away at the plasti dip..  i wanted to do the same and i thought oh well ill just be careful while filling up my tank.  well guess what,  today i went to fill up my tank and the nozzle on the gun was jacked up and no matter what i did there was some spray hitting the tank..  i think your best bet for changing the color of the tank without permantly painting it is to wrap it with vinyl

also i have sprayed my truck wheels with plasti and it is holding up great   to rocks and snow etc  since may.  but as far as painting the tank the main concern i feel is gas spilling on it or even brake fluid from your reservoir uptop if you have to change anything CAN happen so its just a matter of time.   i plasti dipped my head light the other day and it looks great but once i hit the bush im sure it will wear..   techincaly it is already wearing underneath the light because it rest of the fender and it moves around.   plasti dip is fun but for a dirt bike  you be applying it all the time...

BUT  its your bike.. its not going to be the end of the world if it doesnt work out  give it a shot and report back.   i painted my wheels black years ago and they look ugly as piss now but i could careless they held up for a good 2 years before i spilled some brake fluid on it.   its your bike   let us know how it goes!

Yeah I'm gunna do it tomorrow I'll post pics and tell you how it goes!!!

DO NOT DO IT NO MATTER WHAT!!!! i will "accidently"spill gas on that bike and light it on fire by accident also!im the only one allowed to have a black drz! paint urs purple or pink or something! jk but if that fails see if Dynographics can get you a vynl wrap on the cheap! but again choose purple or pink or chartreuse!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I was thinking about that but he said like 200 dollars!!!! so idk about that.. some guy did it and said if gas gets on it its easy to touch up but idk I guess well see!!! Heres a piture of how his turmed out.

1392624926582.jpg

why couldnt you do some other color! now people are gonna think we are like weirdos or somethin! jk from the pic it doesnt look to bad! hopfully i can get this light bracket done and finish up installing the vapor and ride it!

Paint in a rattle can has no business on a bike. Rattle can paint is poor quality and lacks proper components that a 2 part mix has. Its a fact, The end

Well its not exactly paint its more of a rubberized coating and I can peel it off if it looks like crap or fades bad its completly reversible!

why couldnt you do some other color! now people are gonna think we are like weirdos or somethin! jk from the pic it doesnt look to bad! hopfully i can get this light bracket done and finish up installing the vapor and ride it!

Lol ive been wanting to make it black for awhile! Its supposed to be warm the next couple days even though its icing now im ready to ride I got with a wr250x that just got some reallymeaty tires so he will ride with us to :ride:

Vinyl wrap will last longer and look better.

Vinyl wrap will last longer and look better.

ya but like he said he got quoted 200 bucks from our local graphics company! Which he doesn't want to spend! We will see how it holds up though!

Well its not exactly paint its more of a rubberized coating and I can peel it off if it looks like crap or fades bad its completly reversible!

Lol ive been wanting to make it black for awhile! Its supposed to be warm the next couple days even though its icing now im ready to ride I got with a wr250x that just got some reallymeaty tires so he will ride with us to :ride:

Who has a 250? I can only think of one person.

Cody Johnson has a black wr250x it's the supermoto one but he put some beefy ass tires on it so he can off road with us lol there Michelin mt21s pretty aggressive.

Cody Johnson has a black wr250x it's the supermoto one but he put some beefy ass tires on it so he can off road with us lol there Michelin mt21s pretty aggressive.

I must have an alter ego or something in Illinois, throw a "t" in there and thats my name 

Like class of 2010 Cody Johnson? Was it little Hines old 250x?

I think he was 2010 little hines has a green 250 ninja he has the black wr250x

200 geeez.  i know you can buy buy the sheet for 40 or 50 per vinyl piece

mossy oak sells gun skin kits... vinyl   for 20 bucks..  it works great on my shot gun and on my truck interior  its pretty durable

Well I was thinking about that but he said like 200 dollars!!!! so idk about that.. some guy did it and said if gas gets on it its easy to touch up but idk I guess well see!!! Heres a piture of how his turmed out.

That's RIDICULOUS for vinyl wrap, especially if you do it yourself. I wrapped my entire R1 race bike in vinyl for less than that.....and it takes a helluva lot more vinyl for a sport bike than a DRZ tank.

Ya I know, I'm pretty sure my brothers old work truck 07 Colorado cost him 400 for a complete wrap so idk what's up! And I thought Hines had a ninja and that wr! I had no clue it was Cody's!

DO IT

a friend of mine did ALL plastics & tank with 2 cans 15$.. looks great..

but the gas will cause the bottom of tank to slowly melt(more like a plyable car grease it seems like)

remember its $15.. and its extremely easy to remove if you dont like it..my friend didnt even wash his bike b4 he sprayed it lol..lazy

video of my friend removing it from fork guard..plasti dip was on bike for 6 months(summer 2013)

Edited by 707LAKE