Is 60:1 too rich for the ktm SX 250 2014

Interesting.... My last dirt bike was a 1989 RM 125....I ran it at 32:1. I am in the process of trying to buy a 2012 300 XC-W. I guess lots have changed in the last 25 or so years.

I felt the same as you. I was shocked when I saw that in the manual, but I am big on following factory recommendations. Runs like a top. That 300 is an awesome bike. I just bought a 2013 300XC and I am in love

No sand track settings in the manual but standard settings below;

Air screw 2 (turns out)

Idling jet. 42

Needle. N1EH

Clip pos. 4

Main jet. 158

Current settings as per dealers adjustment;

Air screw. 1.5 turns out

Idling jet; 40

needle. N1EH

Clip Pos. 3

main jet; 158

If they still you a 158/160 main like the 11/13 SX did I would be going up,

Give us the factory settings...also look under the jetting chart and tell us is there a sand track setting?? There was for 11-13 ..42/ nozh and 172 main.

Fwiw Amsoil at 40/1

N1..... Needle ....must ....GO!!!

The factory settings are way rich at idle to 1 quarter throttle....BUT. Way lean on the main jet!

This causes the motor to studder and bumble at slight throttle openings ...But then Blast into the midrange and pull into a long overrev.

If you foul plugs you are idling around to much, its a MX bike it's meant to be ran wide open.

Now there is Much talk about using Suzuki needles and they work good!

I recommend you start with Necw or Nedw I like a richer needle like Nech or Nedh or nozh....many like Necj or Nedj.....BUT they are way lean I say stay away from them.

The stock main is a158 ......stupid lean!!!! With the Suzuki needles you should be in the 168-170 zone.

If you try this you will enjoy a thick grunty torky pull.....and a happy motor now that it has the fuel that it needs.

N1..... Needle ....must ....GO!!!

The factory settings are way rich at idle to 1 quarter throttle....BUT. Way lean on the main jet!

This causes the motor to studder and bumble at slight throttle openings ...But then Blast into the midrange and pull into a long overrev.

If you foul plugs you are idling around to much, its a MX bike it's meant to be ran wide open.

Now there is Much talk about using Suzuki needles and they work good!

I recommend you start with Necw or Nedw I like a richer needle like Nech or Nedh or nozh....many like Necj or Nedj.....BUT they are way lean I say stay away from them.

The stock main is a158 ......stupid lean!!!! With the Suzuki needles you should be in the 168-170 zone.

If you try this you will enjoy a thick grunty torky pull.....and a happy motor now that it has the fuel that it needs.

Cheers mate, i'll try new needles

I have a 13 250sx. Took a little while but finally have it shredding like the beast it is. Running a 175 main 42 pilot and the NECJ needle on 3rd clip. This solved the slight bog off the bottom and freed it up on top. Really smooth now. Run Motorex at 50/1.

Ah... But I bet the Necj is lean at one quarter to one one third throttle.

• Like 2

The NECJ was not lean on my 2010 250SX that was set up for cross country running at sea level . The bike ran terrific with 40PJ , NECJ #3 , 162 main , AS 1.5 , 50:1 Motorex and pump fuel . 

Great power , zero spooge , good mileage and minimal blubbering .

The motor was a turd with a 42PJ .

The NECJ was not lean on my 2010 250SX that was set up for cross country running at sea level . The bike ran terrific with 40PJ , NECJ #3 , 162 main , AS 1.5 , 50:1 Motorex and pump fuel .

Great power , zero spooge , good mileage and minimal blubbering .

The motor was a turd with a 42PJ .

Ok. But .... Did you try one of the richer ones Dj. Cw or dw???

The cj only stayed in my bike for a min. Or two 30 degrees at 900 ft gasp and hesitate ....lean.

Edited by E-TECH

My bike has now turned into a 300SX and I'm waiting for the snow to disappear to start the tuning process again . I am going to start with the same jetting and go from there . I just might try some other needles for the heck of it , but , as I've said , the NECJ worked super good for me on the 250 . Perhaps it would not work as well on a MX track but on the trails , it was good .

• Like 1

Ok my 11 /250 SX is now a 300 also and I had to go to a 168 main from a 172. When I switched the top end.

I don't do MX ,I ride tight east cost woods...so when I'm grunting along in the woods for a long time the leaner settings will cause it to run hot and idle up,...there is also a loss of grunt and throttle response.