Sign in to follow this  

Fluid and spring questions

So I have torn down my rear shock on my 01 cr250 "leaking seal head" and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what fluid they recommend and how much I should be ordering?

I was thinking about the racetech ultra slick 5w, would this be good oil to use in the shock and forks?

Also I am thinking about respringing the shock and possibly the forks. Racetech shows for my combo a .44 front and 5.499 or closest rear. Mx tech shows a 5.0. After doing a lot of looking I'm am not sure what would be the right step. I know that the fronts factory were .44 or at least what they were supposed to be.

195 pounds without gear novice to intermediate doing harescrambles and trail riding. Would I be alright with just installing the different rear shock spring for now?

Beings that the suspension has been completely untouched "not even a service" since new im thinking anything will be better then what is there now.

You should do bushes as well in the forks , 5.5 is too stiff for a 0.44 front imo 5.3 would be better , not sure on the oils for use in shock speak to rt

i plan on redoing the forks next with bushings and seals after I get this shock taken care of.

I will call racetech and see what they say I guess.

Called racetech and they recommended a .46 front and a 5.4 rear

Is the racetech fluid worth the price? What fluid brands do you guys find perform well or do they all do the job fine.

Well got the shock resealed and bled.

Halfway done with one fork before calling it a night. Man that is some nasty fluid in those forks!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392972822.789833.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1392972838.999770.jpg