Sign in to follow this  

XR400R Forks keep twisting

On my dads 03 xr400r a couple of times he has fallen off (nothing too big) and when we pick up the bike and inspect it to make sure there is no damage we notice that the forks are twisted because the front wheel doesn't line up straight with the rest of the bike. When we notice this we undo the bottom triple clamp bolts loosen them off and straighten the forks. We believe that the triple clamp bolts need to go a bit tighter but we are afraid of stripping the threads out. We have two xr400r manuals and neither of them state a torque specification for these bolts. Dads bike is in great condition with only 6500km on it and has been maintained well. any idea on why the forks are twisting and how to stop it doing that. Also a torque spec for the triple clamp bolts bottom and top would be greatly appreciated thank you.

On my dads 03 xr400r a couple of times he has fallen off (nothing too big) and when we pick up the bike and inspect it to make sure there is no damage we notice that the forks are twisted because the front wheel doesn't line up straight with the rest of the bike. When we notice this we undo the bottom triple clamp bolts loosen them off and straighten the forks. We believe that the triple clamp bolts need to go a bit tighter but we are afraid of stripping the threads out. We have two xr400r manuals and neither of them state a torque specification for these bolts. Dads bike is in great condition with only 6500km on it and has been maintained well. any idea on why the forks are twisting and how to stop it doing that. Also a torque spec for the triple clamp bolts bottom and top would be greatly appreciated thank you.

I haven't fallen off the xr4 much but remember my xr6 did this all the time. Oddly enough, I can't find the torque values int he manual either, but do see the bolts called "pinch bolts", it just says "Tighten the upper and lower pinch bolts" and no tq.

Honestly I don't think tightening them more will help. I don't think you need to loosen them to straighten the wheel, I was able to just hold the wheel with my legs and turn the bars the other way, no high tech way of doing it

Slide the forks out completely and make sure there is no dirt, burrs or anything like that between the forks and clamping surface. Clean with alcohol as well so there is no oil or grease residue either. Your just making sure it's as close as possible to 100% metal to metal contact.

• Like 1

Pretty normal to have the forks twist about in a crash. Could be that the steering stem nut under the bars which holds the bearing and stem solid

is a bit loose. Remove the top triple and tighten it down a bit..The steering should still be nice and free when finished. Put the top triple back on then tighten

down its stem nut.  Make sure the steering side is still free feeling. Don't really need to torque those other pinch bolts down. Up to

pressure and a fraction more is all that's needed with them..Torque wrenches are for people without mechanical feel..

Easiest way to straighten a front end is find a power pole or tree and whack one side of the wheel against the solid object using the handlebars

as your whacking device..You remain seated on the bike and whack/knock the side of the front wheel/tire/rim one way..test ride,,(Is it worse or better),,Find another

solid object and whack it the other way if it's worse or go some more the other if she's better..That is the normal racer way to fix a bent front end..No time for

spanners and crap on a track or when you're on a timeline...

No trees about then use Spawn-Xs method..Not as easy but it should work if the front ends averagely loose..You need a bit of give in a front end or your bars

would be forever bending in crashes..

Edited by Horri

Some fork twisting is caused when hauling the bike with the front wheel wedged into the corner of the truck bed or trailer.