Sign in to follow this  

Wr 300 starting

Hi guys I have had my wr 300 for about 4 months and the entire time it has been very hard to start and very prone to flooding was wondering what the solution is also I have fitted a jd jetted Keihin carb any suggestions or maybe it's just my technique I get it just past tdc before I kick seems to be best chance to get it going oh and it's only cold start problem it's fine when it's warm.

Hi guys I have had my wr 300 for about 4 months and the entire time it has been very hard to start and very prone to flooding was wondering what the solution is also I have fitted a jd jetted Keihin carb any suggestions or maybe it's just my technique I get it just past tdc before I kick seems to be best chance to get it going oh and it's only cold start problem it's fine when it's warm.

I run the stock carb with proper jetting. Pull the enrichener all the way up roll to just past TDC and kick it all the way through no throttle. 2-4 kicks it should start. Warms starts I add just a little throttle and it stars right up.

here's some good reading on the topic

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/i-kick-and-kick-and-kick.21528/#post-189744

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/wr-300-starter-issues-advice-needed.29111/

also make sure to seal up the reed block to carburetor connection. The V Force 3 reeds have writing engraved on them near the seal that some have reported causing an air leak which makes the motor run lean (hard to start and just generally bad for motor longevity). I put a 92-01 Honda CR250 gasket there and no air leak issues. Also, stock needle is very lean. Put on lowest clip position from top or get a JD jet kit or purchase richer needle. 

On my 300 it was almost impossible to start until I put the JD Jetting kit in the stock carb. Now it starts first or second kick most of the time, even when cold.

Is there any chance I could get the JD jetting specs? I would like to compare it to what Halls Cycle put in mine. I always had great results with JD Jetting.

Thanks

Is there any chance I could get the JD jetting specs? I would like to compare it to what Halls Cycle put in mine. I always had great results with JD Jetting.

Thanks

They're a proprietary needle. Here's their specification for the 09-13 WR300. 

IMG_0199_zps6ae6e013.jpg

Edited by shrubitup

Cheers for all the replies guys I followers first replies instructions starts within 1-4 kicks though also getting awful fuel economy gonna measure what I get out ( range ) of 100% full tank this weekend will prob end up going up a notch on the main needle currently at 3 will try 2. Only just joined very helpful forum!!

Be sure to check your float level. Many come with the floats a little high and leaks out the overflow a lot while riding, wasting gas.

Another thing to try when the bike is cold, is to  put it in gear and rock it back and forth a few times and then start it.

Another thing to try when the bike is cold, is to put it in gear and rock it back and forth a few times and then start it.

Rock while first gear engaged to suck fuel into cylinder. Works good. The wr300 is not the easiest starting bike unfortunately.

I put a 4.0 slide and I ended up putting a JD kit in mine and it starts fine but mine is a 250, I have a friend who had a 300 and I could start it no problem but he always struggled maybe because he is shorter than me, I am 6' tall and he is around 5'10"

Edited by 262 2stroke

I'm not sure if they make it for the 300, but I have a wr360 with a decompression head. It works wonders! You could try leaning the bike on its side until the fuel starts to run our of the overflow, and then try starting it by using the tdc method, it should fire up then.

• Like 1

I think it's a lot to do with the odd kick start placement as well, takes time to get used to it.

I kinda felt that way too when I first bought mine but I immediately got the JD Kit and it starts first kick

almost every time.     I think it's partly due to the jets but also a matter of just getting used to the bike,

and getting a feel for how you kick it. Also helps to have a crate or stand or whatever next to it so you can

stand on the pegs and give it a good hard kick, unless you're 6' or taller. I'm 5'10 so I use the crate/stand/car bumper/ back of dog (if you have a big dog) method.......ah ha ha.....that was a joke, PITA. or PETA,I,should say. 

Edited by JoePass
  • Like 1

Haha thanks guys sorted it all out first kick start now with the jd carb just have to go no throttle just past tdc and back with the kickstart and belt it

Edited by mickhusky
  • Like 3