2011 200xcw top end hours?

how many hour can I expect before doing my top end? I just trail ride don't race. bike has 65 hours the previous owner did the top end at 40 hours. also when I do the work do the work should I just do piston and rings or do the cylinder as well? I run maxxima super m at 50 to 1. I have heard a lot of opinions anywhere from 50 hours to 150 hours? also I have a compression tester what should the compression run? what compression should I replace the top end at any low end specs? thanks nick

How long to go on a top end carries many variables, how hard you ride and has the bike overheated are a couple. There are many opinions on this, I can only state mine. At the end of each season, I likely have in the range of 40-60 hours at this point, I take it apart and check the ring end gap, a better test then a compression test on a 2T as far as I'm concerned. Now that I have it apart I am going to do the rings for sure and likely the piston as well but you can base that on inspecting the condition of the piston. Inspect the cylinder for wear, usually around the exhaust port is the first area you start to see the the plating wear off, if you do not see any excessive wear then no need to change it. Taking it apart once a year gives you the opportnity to clean the PV which is important.

• Like 1

we go 150-200 hrs on a top end. after the 3rd top end we replate the cylinder.

Our experience with super-m has been that it's very clean-burning. we got no carbon buildup on the PV even in real low-speed technical trailriding. I stopped cleaning pv's when we were using super m and amsoil interceptor. We switched again to lucas oil due to easy availability, but only been using it for 150 hrs, so i haven't looked at the pv yet.

Our experience with super-m has been that it's very clean-burning. we got no carbon buildup on the PV even in real low-speed technical trailriding. I stopped cleaning pv's when we were using super m and amsoil interceptor. We switched again to lucas oil due to easy availability, but only been using it for 150 hrs, so i haven't looked at the pv yet.

thanks great info I appreciate the help. I was recommended to run the super m in my sherco so I figured I would stick to one oil for both

Let me know about the power valve when you take it apart again.  I switched to Dominator several years ago and my PV was clean, but using cheaper oils 7 years ago caused 1/16" of carbon to crust up in the power valve of my Gas Gas 300. 

how many hour can I expect before doing my top end? I just trail ride don't race. bike has 65 hours the previous owner did the top end at 40 hours. also when I do the work do the work should I just do piston and rings or do the cylinder as well? I run maxxima super m at 50 to 1. I have heard a lot of opinions anywhere from 50 hours to 150 hours? also I have a compression tester what should the compression run? what compression should I replace the top end at any low end specs? thanks nick

The biggest factor in how long a top end lasts is how clean you keep your air filter.  Clean it every ride.  I do, even if I only ride 25 or 30 miles on a tacky day.. because the next ride could be 60 miles, that means that 90 miles are in the same filter, that's waaaay too much riding without servicing the bike.

The biggest factor in how long a top end lasts is how clean you keep your air filter.  Clean it every ride.  I do, even if I only ride 25 or 30 miles on a tacky day.. because the next ride could be 60 miles, that means that 90 miles are in the same filter, that's waaaay too much riding without servicing the bike.

okay thanks for the input. so if I keep the filter clean how many hours are you thinking before a top end? what air filter do you recommend? prolly buy a few and keep em rotated

okay thanks for the input. so if I keep the filter clean how many hours are you thinking before a top end? what air filter do you recommend? prolly buy a few and keep em rotated

That's exactly what I do. I keep one hanging in a one gal zip lock on the wall, one in the bike. After the first is dirty I just keep it in an empty wash tray, then wash both at same time.

Quick and easy. I even have an extra filter cage. Plus for two day weekend rides I can just swap the filter after day one.

You're kind of wrong. if you're riding in non-dusty conditions, you can use the same filter for several rides. We often ride for a couple months without changing air filter. Note that a slightly dirty air filter actually filters better than a freshly cleaned one. Also every time you change it, you risk dropping bits of dirt into the airbox if you're not very careful.

We have 6 filters for 2 bikes. We change them when they are dirty. Sometimes that is one day of dusty riding. Sometimes that is 10-15 days of non-dusty riding.

I've been treating my 2008 200 like for 850 hrs so far (14,000 miles).

• Like 2

You're kind of wrong. if you're riding in non-dusty conditions, you can use the same filter for several rides. We often ride for a couple months without changing air filter. Note that a slightly dirty air filter actually filters better than a freshly cleaned one. Also every time you change it, you risk dropping bits of dirt into the airbox if you're not very careful.

We have 6 filters for 2 bikes. We change them when they are dirty. Sometimes that is one day of dusty riding. Sometimes that is 10-15 days of non-dusty riding.

I've been treating my 2008 200 like for 850 hrs so far (14,000 miles).

wow that's a lot of seat time nice work. whats your advice on how many hours on a top end

wow that's a lot of seat time nice work. whats your advice on how many hours on a top end

I go up to 200 hrs between top ends, but I dont rev out my 200 like some people do. Typically i can barely even notice any difference in performance with the new top end, which tells me the old one wasn't excessively worn.

We do the same schedule on 250's. our 2012 250xcw's are around 150 hrs now and running strong. Time to order top end parts.