Sign in to follow this  

Your opinion, please

'01 S model (stock cams, stock carb) is using oil. Not really smoking unless I accelerate hard from a dead stop. I figured I needed rings, and while the head was off, I'd do valves. So the valve cover came off yesterday, and the valve lash is in spec. Bike has probably 20k miles. Should I have new valves installed? No plans to big bore or increase performance...

'01 S model (stock cams, stock carb) is using oil. Not really smoking unless I accelerate hard from a dead stop. I figured I needed rings, and while the head was off, I'd do valves. So the valve cover came off yesterday, and the valve lash is in spec. Bike has probably 20k miles. Should I have new valves installed? No plans to big bore or increase performance...

try doing the solvent test if youre taking the head off anyway. i personally would do it. since its apart anyway...

Edited by jawknee21
  • Like 1

Using oil..????...if so, some aspect of the top end is displaying wear.....professional inspection of head would be advised as with new piston and rings , I would also replace timing chain "while it's apart"...

BTW....What does the "probably 20K miles" mean..???.. :busted:

I had the same decision to make when I fitted a new piston to my Stroker Motor , valve's were in spec at the time ( RHC ) .

The RHC valves had done a lot of work. I decided to pass on the head work .

A couple of months later they started to require frequent adjustment .

I was Gutted