HB2294 - increased fine for littering

Washington

House Bill HB2294 would increase the penalty for dumping up to one cubic foot of litter from $50 to $125.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2294&year=2013

Small change, but one in the right direction.

HB2294 needs to be voted out of the House of Representatives by Tuesday 18-February or it dies.

If don’t like litterers, you may want to ask both of your House of Representatives members to support this bill.

If you don’t know who your Representatives are or how to contact them, go to www.leg.wa.gov

Thank you to everyone that stepped up and contacted your Legislator today.

HB2294 was passed by the House tonight 81 to 17  . :thumbsup:

Onward to the Senate we go . :ride:

Got a quick response :thumbsup:

Joe

raising the fine on littering somehow stops it?  I don't know guys....seems they could find something else to spend time on

cut off your right hand for littering  would probably be a better deterrent

I see it everywhere  scummbags stop in a parking lot at a fast food restaurant ,eat in the vehicle ,open the door set the garbage on each side of the car and drive away

the trails are littered with junk just like the lakes around here hell they don't just litter they bring bottles (not supposed to have that near the lake ) and then smash them when done so you have to wear shoes at the beach

unfortunately the fines are next to useless IMHO  they never catch these guys

I gotta good use for a drone....have them pick up garbage :)

I gotta good use for a drone....have them pick up garbage :)

Naah.....have them drop skunk spray on the offenders.

Joe

raising the fine on littering somehow stops it?  I don't know guys....seems they could find something else to spend time on

Will it stop it from happening?

Nope.

Does the Legislature have more important things to be working on?

Yep.

If it was up to me, I'd make the penalty involve picking up a lot of crap, but Representative Liz Pike, the prime sponsor of HB2294 did not consult with me prior to the introduction of this piece of legislation ;)

What it does do is raise the fine to a level where the entity writing the ticket does not lose money in the process and as such is more likely to cite the piggies that make messes.

Any action taken against garbage dumpers is a good thing.

A better answer, in my opinion, is pay for the dump stations with property taxes so that it costs nothing when you take your garbage to the dump. That's how Idaho does it and it works. I live 12 miles from the WA/ID border and there is a noticeable difference when I cross the line.

A better answer, in my opinion, is pay for the dump stations with property taxes so that it costs nothing when you take your garbage to the dump. That's how Idaho does it and it works. I live 12 miles from the WA/ID border and there is a noticeable difference when I cross the line.

Dumping fees, right or wrong do lead to people dumping large quantities of crap in the woods.

That said, the littering of less than one cubic foot of crap is not caused by fees, its just plain laziness and slovenliness.

Edited by tod701

+1

And the increase in fine.

But not the only solution; I travel quite a bit about the western states and I notice  big differences in the amount of litter in different areas.  Must be a local culture thing because some areas are quite clean while others are trashy.  People in the PNW dump their trash everywhere  making it to the top of my trash list.  In other areas people seem to have more ownership of the community and work a bit harder to keep their community clean.  

+1

And the increase in fine.

But not the only solution; I travel quite a bit about the western states and I notice big differences in the amount of litter in different areas. Must be a local culture thing because some areas are quite clean while others are trashy. People in the PNW dump their trash everywhere making it to the top of my trash list. In other areas people seem to have more ownership of the community and work a bit harder to keep their community clean.

I think some of the dumping issue are relative to the cost of properly disposing of things like old tires, mattresses, appliances, etc. Right, wrong, or indifferent...a lot of backward thinkers would rather risk a paltry fine than cough up cash to take their crap to the dump. Let's face it, a $125 is a joke. My neighbors & I paid nearly $200 to dispose of a bunch old tires someone pitched out of a truck in the middle of the night.

We have the same issues but with our water bill refuse pickup '

we get a landfill pass for as many times as you would like to come and dump chit and  u can get 1 free bulk  curbside pickup  a month

including tires/ appliances / mattresses ETC   but alas you still see any vacant lot in town  get shit dumped in it

just lazy people   or illegals dumping their side job work debris  that someone got a " good deal on"

Great dumping story- A coworker was doing some illegal dumping. A body was found in/around a box with his name and address on it. The victim was known to be a former girlfriend of the dumper's son. The dumper sat in jail (considered a flight risk) until he was proven innocent. He still had to pay a fine for illegal dumping (time served was for a different reason). All kinds of messed up. Who dumps their crap and leaves a return label on it? Apparently this guy. I believe it is what is called an "indicator" for other behaviors.

I think some of the dumping issue are relative to the cost of properly disposing of things like old tires, mattresses, appliances, etc. Right, wrong, or indifferent...a lot of backward thinkers would rather risk a paltry fine than cough up cash to take their crap to the dump. Let's face it, a $125 is a joke. My neighbors & I paid nearly $200 to dispose of a bunch old tires someone pitched out of a truck in the middle of the night.

$125 is for less than one cubic foot.

More gets bigger fines.

Still not enough.

. . . dumping their side job work debris  that someone got a " good deal on"

Or the lowest paid guy on the job site is given $50-$100 to take this truckload of junk to the dump "wink wink nod nod"

what happened to these signs on the highway?    Remember as a kid getting yanked out of the back of the station wagon by the ear and butt lit up when my dad saw me throw a paper towel out.   Think the signs said $500 then (more than our car was worth).

fine.0.jpg

Edited by highmarker

what happened to these signs on the highway?    Remember as a kid getting yanked out of the back of the station wagon by the ear and butt lit up when my dad saw me throw a paper towel out.   Think the signs said $500 then (more than our car was worth).

fine.0.jpg

Larger fines still exist for highway litter.

Larger fines still exist for highway litter.

What is the reason/thought behind this?  Isn't litter, well, litter regardless of where it is dumped?