Sign in to follow this  

Replacing grips

Guy I bought my bike from said it has the R6 mod. I haven't been able to verify and honestly don't remember the throttle turn.

1) How can I verify that it has the R6 tube? If it does, will the clutch side grip require a different size?

2) What size is the grip for the R6 tube and whereabouts is the best place to shop online for grips?

If it has the r6 tube you will find that the grip will come off easy( like most grips) if it is the stock tube the grip (if original) will be vulcanized on and a biatch to get off. If it's the stock tube and the grip was already taken off the tube will probally be damaged in some way

Where's the best place to buy grips online? I assume I'll need to buy glue, too. 

I've always just used ebay. $12-15 generally. I never use glue. I do use hair spray though, the hair spray acts as a lube, so the grips will on on very easy, then it's tackey when dry to help them stick. Not to mention they aren't hard to remove later to replace them again since there is no glue involved. Never had them move.

These are what I use on my R6 and DRZ (the R6 actually gets the dual compound versions). They are soft though, so you will go through them. Of course how long it depends on you, I usually get a couple years out of set, a buddy of mine goes through a set a year.

Lots of people like the PillowTops, they will last longer than the ones I use. If you run bar ends or hand guards, you'll have to cut a hole in the end. No big deal though.

Really just about anything will fit, hop on eBay and search for grips, pick something you like give it a whirl, they aren't exspensive.

I put grips on with hairspray (lightly sprayed) and then safety-wire them.  I've found that without safety-wire the grips will eventually start to twist… especially when off-roading (on the street bike not so much).  Oh, I run PillowTops and so far I like them.  Grips are relatively cheap and can have a big effect on the feel of the bike through the bars.

Or if you have a air compressor with a air spray nasal you can just use air to get them of. My pillow tops stuck to my bars without need of any tackiness or adhesive! I would suggest safety wire on it as well though!

Edited by Decil Moto

I've never seen safety-wired grips, would someone mind explaining how that's done?

http://www.howtomotorcyclerepair.com/how-to-safety-wire-glue-grips-mx/

I haven't used grip glue... but I would think it makes removing grips harder and leaves a bunch of residue.  Maybe I'm wrong, like I said I've never used it.  Hairspray dries fairly quickly, little mess, no worries about pushing glue into your throttle assembly and the grips can still be removed later without mess.

On my street bike I don't have the grips safety-wired and they are only held on with hairspray.  Then again your usually a lot less aggressive holding/twisting the bars on the street than off-road.  However a lot of racing organizations require the grips be safety-wired.

• Like 1

Grip glue is just super glue.

I recommend just buying the $6 zeta throttle tube.

Cutting and shaving the stock vulcanized grips is a terrible job.

Took off my handguards and now need to replace the cut up pillow tops.

I bought a set of grips...they're now ruined.

The clutch grip went on easy with grip glue, but the grip seems to be too big. I let the glue sit for about 15 minutes and it was still sliding around. &%$#@!.

The throttle side....went on about half way, then quit. It was STUCK. Throttle side was much tighter and after getting it halfway on, couldn't get it back off. Then I discover that some glue had gotten in the throttle tube and that became stuck. I've cleaned out the throttle tube and while it does snap back, it doesn't seem to snap back very fast. Donno if that's standard of I need to regrease in between them.

So....how the &%$#@! am I supposed to get grips that fit well on the clutch side and aren't impossible to fit onto the throttle tube? And how am I supposed to stop glue from getting under the throttle tube and causing it to stick to the handlebar? It is the R6 tube if that matters. 

Edited by GeologyRocks

That's why you should try safety wire or hairspray man! And yes there is a throttle grip and a clutch side grip! Grips are 10 bucks off of Amazon so it's not a big deal if you messed it up and you can get a new throttle tube (not a r6 one) for 10 bucks off of TT or Amazon also!

Took off my handguards and now need to replace the cut up pillow tops.

I bought a set of grips...they're now ruined.

The clutch grip went on easy with grip glue, but the grip seems to be too big. I let the glue sit for about 15 minutes and it was still sliding around. &%$#@!.

The throttle side....went on about half way, then quit. It was STUCK. Throttle side was much tighter and after getting it halfway on, couldn't get it back off. Then I discover that some glue had gotten in the throttle tube and that became stuck. I've cleaned out the throttle tube and while it does snap back, it doesn't seem to snap back very fast. Donno if that's standard of I need to regrease in between them.

So....how the &%$#@! am I supposed to get grips that fit well on the clutch side and aren't impossible to fit onto the throttle tube? And how am I supposed to stop glue from getting under the throttle tube and causing it to stick to the handlebar? It is the R6 tube if that matters. 

Only put glue on the tube.   :thumbsup:

Edited by billdirt1

Shit...maybe I put them on backwards? Didn't realize that one grip may be bigger than the other?

How's the saying go Live and learn :banghead:

You might not need to buy new grips. You can slide something in between the grip and bar/throttle tube to break the glue free and then use the air compressor method to get the grips back off and put them on the correct side.

Tried again with another grip, this time I took the tube off to install the grip. It got stuck halfway on again, then tore because of the force I was trying to put on it. I was pissed so I put it in the oven for 10 minutes and at least got it slid all the way on...even though there's a tear now....what a &%$#@!ing mess.