What's the best techniques for racing on a muddy track?

Yesterday I raced at a track here in Washington. The track condition was super slick mud the entire length. I never felt comfortable the whole time and was wondering what the best techniques are for those conditions. Thinking that slowing down doesn't work and maybe getting my weight further back. What do you do to help with traction? I've included a GoPro shot I took during the event.IMG_318116976423312.jpeg

I don't try to cure traction issues in mud.

Best thing you can do is, balance. Also momentum is your friend! Keep momentum and flow with it.

new tires are your best hope for any traction in mud, maybe someone know the best psi?  i just mainly avoid  all mud track.

Edited by ekulb14

man, thats nasty lol...

Stay loose and don't fight the bike. Flowing with the mud will make life easier. The worst thing you can do is try to force the bike to do things. Let the bike do the work, and use throttle control to keep things in check.

As the others have mentioned... momentum and balance is your friend!

Edited by BDubb106

Staddleline I see......

Yup, she can get a little muddy there......Here's my advice regarding the track. I'm a true and true Goldentyre rider but S12s work the absolute best out there on the track. I would also recommend you stick to the outsides of the track. The muddiest parts seem to be in the middle. During our races I'm always riding skirting along the outside. Also, it does help a lot if you either clear the jumps as everyone lands in the middle and it really pounds it out......

Oh, and as for technique, stay back a bit back on the bike, stand up and at best try to keep your feet on the pegs. When they fall off it throws your balance off a bit......And I have won there a few times, racing expert so I would consider myself qualified to offer advice...

20131208_125728_zps1bgiq6v_edit_13866350

Edited by Monk

Momentum, body positioning and throttle control. The slower you try to go the harder it will make it to ride. I also recommend to spray silicone on your plastics to keep the mud from sticking and use foam in appropriate places. The lighter you can keep the bike the easier it will be to ride

Momentum, body positioning and throttle control. The slower you try to go the harder it will make it to ride. I also recommend to spray silicone on your plastics to keep the mud from sticking and use foam in appropriate places. The lighter you can keep the bike the easier it will be to ride

Great advice regarding silicone. I would also like to add going up a few clicks on compression as the bike will get heavier with the mud.....easily up to 20lbs heavier!

Great advice regarding silicone. I would also like to add going up a few clicks on compression as the bike will get heavier with the mud.....easily up to 20lbs heavier!

Monk will you be racing the Off-road series coming up?

Monk will you be racing the Off-road series coming up?

Yup, I race the Winter GP series in 30A. I had a crappy finish last race due to my bike but I did have 2 wins prior to that. I might try to get down on Saturday and race the HS in Open A. I finished 2nd overall in Open A last year.......

Yup, I race the Winter GP series in 30A. I had a crappy finish last race due to my bike but I did have 2 wins prior to that. I might try to get down on Saturday and race the HS in Open A. I finished 2nd overall in Open A last year.......

I just moved up to Washington, I'll be racing AA but I'll only be able to make half the season due to my work schedule. See you out there I'll be #913 on a white KTM.

I just moved up to Washington, I'll be racing AA but I'll only be able to make half the season due to my work schedule. See you out there I'll be #913 on a white KTM.

Good deal....Their fast in AA.....A XC2 showed up last time and crushed everyone.....

What gearing you planning on running? I raced a 08 250sx last year and ran 14/49.....

Edited by Monk

Good deal....Their fast in AA.....A XC2 showed up last time and crushed everyone.....

What gearing you planning on running? I raced a 08 250sx last year and ran 14/49.....

my buddies I trained and rode with back home race the Pro 2 in GNCC and WORCS series. Ive been testing and training hard to try to get as many wins as possible this year.

my buddies I trained and rode with back home race the Pro 2 in GNCC and WORCS series. Ive been testing and training hard to try to get as many wins as possible this year.

You're lucky....I ride once a month.....

You're lucky....I ride once a month.....

I ride every other weekend now since I've been in the Navy. I got very serious about riding and racing at 12 and would ride every weekend and use 10 gallons. We should try to link up for a ride sometime.

I ride every other weekend now since I've been in the Navy. I got very serious about riding and racing at 12 and would ride every weekend and use 10 gallons. We should try to link up for a ride sometime.

We have a ride up here called the HOTDOG run.....many Canadian Pros have come, not many ever come back! The guy who hosts the event has like 50'000 acres and he herds cattle with his dirtbike....I would guarantee that he could give TB 111 a run for his money in Endurocross.....

Great replies. I figured I was not using momentum to my advantage, watched my GoPro footage and could tell by the sound that I was 1 and some time 2 gears too high for the speed I was at. First time I took my new 350 SX-F to a track. Actually was the first time on a track with a 4T. Love the hat Monk.

Fresh tires!!

Momentum will be your best friend.

Don't worry much about inside lines because when you kill your momentum and then try to get traction with zero momentum it's gonna slow you down a ton.

Outside lines are your best bet.

Don't fight the bike.

Let your back end get a little wild, and just go with it. Balance is also a key thing.

If you are fighting your bike the entire time, you will be slower than a snail and it'll wear you out in minutes.

Try to put foam in certain places, and remember to keep your pegs and boots cleaned up.

Yesterday I raced at a track here in Washington. The track condition was super slick mud the entire length. I never felt comfortable the whole time and was wondering what the best techniques are for those conditions. Thinking that slowing down doesn't work and maybe getting my weight further back. What do you do to help with traction? I've included a GoPro shot I took during the event.attachicon.gifIMG_318116976423312.jpeg

Riding in slick, muddy conditions is all about finding the best traction. When you can't find any good traction the technique is to keep the bike more straight up (not leaning it over) and sliding it around the track (mostly rear wheel sliding not front). This takes good braking and clutch and throttle control. Check out these free video clips from my "All About Cornering DVD" to see what I mean: http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/vol-1-motocross-technique/dvd-7

10psi in front tire and 8 psi in the rear helps a ton.