what dirt bikes to consider for trail riding

I just turned 50 and am thinking about getting back into riding, after about 35 years.

I used to ride an RM 80 back in the late 70's.

Planning to do mainly trail riding.

I'm not an aggressive rider, but I'd prefer something that will respond, if I do decide to romp on it.

I'm 5'8' and around 140 lbs.

One of my concerns is maintenance costs.  I can do some of my own basic maintenance, but not major engine work.

Does anyone have suggestions on what bikes to consider, for someone my size and age?

Thanks.

You might consider a KDX200 or KTM200 (2 strokes), the KTM is the racier of the two, both super reliable with good torque, and either can haul ass with a competent rider. About as simple as it gets maintenance wise.

In 4-stroke the XR250 is super reliable, but out of production long enough you may not find a good one. I have a couple buddies that have done well with WR250's, they seem to be very reliable and long lasting with good modern suspensions. Also plenty fast if you are.

Thanks Redlined.

I like the maintenance aspects of 2 strokes, but are there more limitations on where they can be ridden?

I live in Washington state (south Puget Sound area).

Either way, I'll take a look at these models. 

Thanks Redlined.

I like the maintenance aspects of 2 strokes, but are there more limitations on where they can be ridden?

I live in Washington state (south Puget Sound area).

Either way, I'll take a look at these models.

i'm 40, just started riding again after many many years, and absolutely love my KTM two-stroke

If you buy new, Beta 450RR ? . The 498 is a nice bike to ride also. Very smooth power curve :ride: .

If you're looking to buy 2nd hand the DRZ 400's are a good capable, reliable bike. But you need to keep in mind It's a trail bike, not a race orientated bike.

The newer 300cc 2T's are very torquey and not a lot different to riding a 450 4T IMO. Less top heavy so they can have their advantages. Just Incase you don't know, most 2T off road bikes are also electric start these days.

Are you buying new or used? How much are you wanting to spend?

As much as I'd love to buy a new one, I'm probably going to go with a used one, since I'm just getting back into riding.

I'd prefer to stay in the $3000 - $4000 range.

As much as I'd love to buy a new one, I'm probably going to go with a used one, since I'm just getting back into riding.

I'd prefer to stay in the $3000 - $4000 range.

Bugga that! You've made it to 50 mate, buy new, you deserve it ? .

Would your Mrs buy a 2nd hand pair of shoes or hand bag :devil: .

I did a lot of research looking for the best trail bike before i bought mine. I found that the ktm 2T's are the best, my fav's being the 150 and 200. However, I decided i didn't want to deal with a 2T so i went with a wr250f. The crf250x is also very similar, but the wr beats it out by just a little in my opinion.

If you are looking at something a little bigger maybe a ktm 300 2t or a wr/crf 450.

The KDX is a good starter bike for aggressive trail riders, very depenable and inexpensive for a nice used one. They have a lot more bottom end power than an MX but still plenty on top.  I got one of my streetbiking buddies started with a nice low hour KDX220 for $1800. He rode the hell out of it for two years and just sold it for $1500 in order to step up to a proper race bike. With new plastics he'd have gotten his 18 back. Ergos and handling aren't on par with modern enduros but they are cheap, fast and reilable.

I did a lot of research looking for the best trail bike before i bought mine. I found that the ktm 2T's are the best, my fav's being the 150 and 200. However, I decided i didn't want to deal with a 2T so i went with a wr250f. The crf250x is also very similar, but the wr beats it out by just a little in my opinion.

If you are looking at something a little bigger maybe a ktm 300 2t or a wr/crf 450.

Thanks Xmoto.

I found a new 2012 WR250F for $6900 out the door.   Is that a good deal?

Sounds like average "new bike" selling price considering the 2014 is already out. I managed to find an 09 new from a dealer for 5000 in 2012, just depends how much looking/ waiting you want to do. And I'll admit I got pretty lucky with that.

I see a 'new' 2008 model at a dealer that is priced about $1000 less than the 2012.   Is there any real issue with buying an older model, aside from resale value?

I'm trying to go new, but at the same time, I'd like to save as much money as I can.

I see a 'new' 2008 model at a dealer that is priced about $1000 less than the 2012.   Is there any real issue with buying an older model, aside from resale value?

I'm trying to go new, but at the same time, I'd like to save as much money as I can.

I wouldn't say so. 6 years old already.

Well right now I'm leaning toward the KTM 200 XC-W.

I figure that the total cost of ownership will be lower than the 4 strokes, and it will

be a bike that will challenge me for years to come.

Also, it's lighter than most of the other trail bikes, I could find.

That's a consideration since I'm a smaller guy.

Any other things I should consider before I take the plunge?

The KDX is a good starter bike for aggressive trail riders, very depenable and inexpensive for a nice used one. They have a lot more bottom end power than an MX but still plenty on top.  I got one of my streetbiking buddies started with a nice low hour KDX220 for $1800. He rode the hell out of it for two years and just sold it for $1500 in order to step up to a proper race bike. With new plastics he'd have gotten his 18 back. Ergos and handling aren't on par with modern enduros but they are cheap, fast and reilable.

Well, I bought a 2001 KDX 200 today.   I'm really excited to get riding again.