Russhole

Washington Walker Valley Trail Conditions thread

We need a thread so that those of us who carry chain saws and other trail working tools, know what needs attention.  Along with that, some ice and snow reports would be great to include too.  So, if you see a trail blockage, post it up with some good info on where it is, how big the tree is, and maybe even include a photo if you've got a chance. Another good idea might be to post up if you took care of one of the issues posted in this thread. You can't count on most people to get off their bike/quad and move a fallen tree that can be moved without a saw. There are far to many trenches going around logs that could just be rolled off the trail, so the faster we can address it, the better we can keep the trail system.  

• Like 7

I'm headed up tomorrow. I was going to cut the one that is handlebar height on the Walker Valley trail towards the upper section next to the jeep trail. I about slammed into it coming down on Saturday. I'll post back that I got it. Good idea Russ. I don't know of any others but I don't ride a lot of that stuff so if somebody has another one in mind let me know. Otherwise, if anybody wants to ride tomorrow, so far its just me.

I cut out 4 last Friday. 1 on Muddled, and then I ducked under the bigger one (I think that's the one you're going to get) towards the top because I had the hand saw, then 1 on Cavanaugh, then a small one on I-5, then I cleared a cluster hug of rotten logs from Tooler, and then cut out a leafy tree at the bottom of Pats by the parking lot.  If I remember right, there was still one on Tooler that you can just ride over, but it was something that could be addressed.  

Sounds good. I think I remember the one on Tooler. I'm just going to throw my 440 on my DaKine so I might not get too much further than that. We'll see.

Sounds good. I think I remember the one on Tooler. I'm just going to throw my 440 on my DaKine so I might not get too much further than that. We'll see.

I cut out 4 last Friday. 1 on Muddled, and then I ducked under the bigger one (I think that's the one you're going to get) towards the top because I had the hand saw, then 1 on Cavanaugh, then a small one on I-5, then I cleared a cluster hug of rotten logs from Tooler, and then cut out a leafy tree at the bottom of Pats by the parking lot.  If I remember right, there was still one on Tooler that you can just ride over, but it was something that could be addressed.  

Was just there yesterday, the log on Tooler is still there, but no big deal to get over.

Got the one on Walker valley trail. Somebody had already cut it, but it was about 20 feet long and kind of a hazard running the length of the outside line, so I bucked it and rolled the lengths off the side. All good. There was a couple new ones right above the original on Tooler, I was able to just russian 2 of them out of the way and I cut the original plus one above it that has been laying in the corner for the better part of 2 or 3 years, you'll know when you see it isn't there. way better line.

Brady- my phone died after I got your text. How big would you say that one is in diameter? Haven't been that way in a while and I was carrying a really heavy saw I dont usually use to cut trail with. I might grab one of the small saws and head back out tomorrow or Thursday.

-Met 2 rock hounders and their dogs on Tooler, nice people, chatted for a while about minerals, agates, and darwinism. Shortly after that, met a hiker that says hes out there twice a week to split rock and back. Nice enough guy, except he says we smell bad and go too fast. Said he almost got run over the other week by somebody bombing down the trail (didn't ask how he couldn't hear them coming). I was nice and cordial, figured it could only help if I didn't roost past him and shout obscenities.

• Like 1

Got the one on Walker valley trail. Somebody had already cut it, but it was about 20 feet long and kind of a hazard running the length of the outside line, so I bucked it and rolled the lengths off the side. All good. There was a couple new ones right above the original on Tooler, I was able to just russian 2 of them out of the way and I cut the original plus one above it that has been laying in the corner for the better part of 2 or 3 years, you'll know when you see it isn't there. way better line.

Brady- my phone died after I got your text. How big would you say that one is in diameter? Haven't been that way in a while and I was carrying a really heavy saw I dont usually use to cut trail with. I might grab one of the small saws and head back out tomorrow or Thursday.

-Met 2 rock hounders and their dogs on Tooler, nice people, chatted for a while about minerals, agates, and darwinism. Shortly after that, met a hiker that says hes out there twice a week to split rock and back. Nice enough guy, except he says we smell bad and go too fast. Said he almost got run over the other week by somebody bombing down the trail (didn't ask how he couldn't hear them coming). I was nice and cordial, figured it could only help if I didn't roost past him and shout obscenities.

They should have thanked you for paying for the recreation area and also maintaining it.

• Like 1

They should have thanked you for paying for the recreation area and also maintaining it.

Agreed, but what do ya do, ya know? At least they were non-combative. Of course I had a giant chainsaw hanging off my back... There was one pick up with a canopy and 2 suvs. One on Peter Burns, one at the lot, and one parked outside the second gate next to tooler. 2 of the 3 had no disco pass. Saw the sheriff twice. Checked the 2 without before I left, no ticket. I hate to say this, I don't know if I really care but I was just more curious how it was going to play out.

Travis the tree is pretty big. im guessing about 2 1/2 feet wide. it fell right in the middle of the trail going down hill to the 2nd to last creek crossing. (going down the trail)  when you cross the creek at the bottom of the hill you got about a dirt bike handlebar height at the creek... its gonna be a bugger to get out. its pretty much laying on the ground more then half way the hill to the creek.

I just bought a Dakine trail builder pack and as thinking about taking the dog and the gasser out tomorrow if its nice out when I wake up. im right in the middle of remodeling my house so I probably shouldn't go but I got a stupid wedding I have to go to this weekend down south and I start to freak out if I don't go riding.

so anyway lol I got a small chain saw (14in bar) im going to pack out there but I know I cant cut threw or move that tree. it could be a 2 man or 3 man job. if I wake up and its not raining out im going to go.(haha starting to sound like a real dirt bike rider)! ill take a picture of it and send it over to you. Charge your phone!!!

Also I heard from a buddy there was trees down on Coyote trail. After you go up north trail/ coyote/ tooller cross the road and the next section of trail is where im talking about. it takes you to the rock pit.

any word on the trees there? I was told this about 2 weeks ago maybe so hopefully they are gone???

-Brady

I think I got everything on tooler. Can't say for certain on coyote. My Dakine is the old version. Can't remember. Heli pak maybe? I'll bring the big saw and an extra bar. I actually think I know the one you're talking about. Im pretty sure we lifted over it the day we saw you guys and I broke my foot peg off. You guys came from the other side and wouldn't have seen it if it's the same one I'm thinking. Maybe?

I'm in. gotta line a couple projects in the morning but should be on auto pilot after that. 10 or so? Give me a shout in the morning. Don't give me that good weather crap either, nothing better than Walker in a heavy downpour.

I am considering heading up Saturday.  How is Walker currently?  Would love to play in the snow but not too interested in ice skating.  Never been much good at it.

We got Cavanaugh pretty squared away today. There was also a couple on Pats and 2 big ones up next to twisted tree that we took care of. Spoke to the DNR and sheriff, they are looking very hard for anyone bootlegging trail and went as far as to say if we have a problem we should call and let them handle it as opposed to doing it ourselves, especially anything involving a chainsaw.  I just laughed and said the only reason this place is still around is volunteers, especially the ones with chainsaws, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. He basically let it go after that... Anywho, just thought I would give you guys that info. Feel free to pm me if you are interested in the long version.

-I might meet ya and help out if you don't mind a tagalong Russ.

Edited by HONDA500AF
  • Like 2

-I might meet ya and help out if you don't mind a tagalong Russ.

I'll be there at 10:30. I don't like to get up too early on my days off.

I'll be there at 10:30. I don't like to get up too early on my days off.

Sounds good. I'm going to try to break away, if I can I'll be there by 10 or 10:15 but don't wait for me. I don't have cell service at tomorrows jobsite, so I probably won't be able to update.