Walker Valley Trail Conditions thread

1 hour ago, EnduroPNW said:

Walker is starting to clear up! Well kinda... it's getting better. Wrecked more the normal today. I reckon it's the false since of clear trails then you hit a patch of snow at speed. F'ed up my knee, hope it heals before odessa. Ride safe this weekend20190322_113441.jpeg.535eb1f117fd3380fdfb16b274721d43.jpeg20190322_115047.jpeg.cc2010efd4e0b3b446bcdda75bcb17a5.jpeg

Bummer about your knee. I was just kicking around sending in my entry for the D-100. Need to drop it in the post tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anatoli said:

We were able to ride Upper Centennial Trail today, the first time since January. The Heartbreak Trail is still snowed in but should melt out in a week. The snow level is about 2300’.

I went up Centennial ( Lower?) too! Some patches here n there but nothing to fret about. I was headed up to Heartbreak when I turned around.

I will be back up there next Monday with a Novice friend as I scouted (and marked) yesterday a 1 mile loop for her to build her skill set. ( Short timers/Ron's run area)

3 hours ago, Anatoli said:

We were able to ride Upper Centennial Trail today, the first time since January. The Heartbreak Trail is still snowed in but should melt out in a week. The snow level is about 2300’.

Who named it that stupid name.
It's always been the "Shortcut Trail".
It's a shortcut to Split Rock.

Same with other trails.
Tank trap trail, lord knows what stupid name is on that one.

Edited by guns_equal_freedom

1 hour ago, guns_equal_freedom said:

Same with other trails.

I think at one time it was called odyssey

Same with other trails.

Come ride it with me. Whoever finishes first gets to name it. Why all the name calling Guns? You mad about something? We are all just trying to have fun here.
  • Like 2

When I first started riding at Walker there was a section that was Centennial to Mobius to Odyssey, then it was Centennial to Odyssey, now it's Centennial.

Mobius WAS once a great trail. Seems the noobs recently discovered this one.

7 hours ago, NW_drZ said:

Mobius WAS once a great trail. Seems the noobs recently discovered this one.

I found Mobius from a YouTube video that identifies its location pretty well. I had rode it before but didn't know the name. Lots of trails up there...I have my own names for them : PITA trail, Rock Hell Trail, That One Trail, Offshoot #5, F*&K My Knee Up Trail , Traffic Jam, Head On Trail etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

on the first map, where centennial links between BR-4602 and the BR-ML...there was downhill only trail that dumped over the hills side and exited on the MLI don't see it on either map

I think I know what trail you are talking about.
The last time I rode it was with Marty and Hurricane Harry, when you got near the end it was really washed out, at the end there was a big berm/drainage ditch thing the DNR had put in.
I think that area was logged.

• Like 1

In 1792, Captain George Vancouver sailing for England explored and mapped all of Puget Sound and the Straits. He named most everything he saw with English names: friends, shipmates, senior Admiralty Officers who never saw America, and sponsors were honored. The Spanish had done the same earlier, but when the Makah People at present day Neah Bay attacked their fort and drove them away the Spanish claim was diminished. Of course the Salish First People had been living here for 10,000 years and already had names for everything. The names we use today are a wonderful mixture of cultures. If John Sutter had not bought Fort Ross in present day Sonoma County on the coast north of the Golden Gate from the Russians one year before the discovery of gold at his other fort ( Sacramento), we might all be speaking Russian now. Many nations contested for control of the Northwest.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Anatoli said:

In 1792, Captain George Vancouver sailing for England explored and mapped all of Puget Sound and the Straits. He named most everything he saw with English names: friends, shipmates, senior Admiralty Officers who never saw America, and sponsors were honored. The Spanish had done the same earlier, but when the Makah People at present day Neah Bay attacked their fort and drove them away the Spanish claim was diminished. Of course the Salish First People had been living here for 10,000 years and already had names for everything. The names we use today are a wonderful mixture of cultures. If John Sutter had not bought Fort Ross in present day Sonoma County on the coast north of the Golden Gate from the Russians one year before the discovery of gold at his other fort ( Sacramento), we might all be speaking Russian now. Many nations contested for control of the Northwest.

Interesting about Fort Ross, of course when gold is discovered the try to keep it a secret for as long as they can. Maybe Sutter discovered gold in Sac town before he bought Fort Ross and that was the driving factor to take it over.

• Like 1