Sign in to follow this  

KYB Fork Compression: 15 clicks Right side, 20 click Left..... ?

Picked up a 04 yz125.  So the right fork compression only turns 15 clicks.  What should I be looking for when I pull these things apart?

-help appreciated

Picked up a 04 yz125.  So the right fork compression only turns 15 clicks.  What should I be looking for when I pull these things apart?

-help appreciated

I would guess that someone had worked on them and didn't assemble the cart bolts the same on both sides, if the peening is ground off on the bolt nut, that's a sign.

That usually happens when people ignore the part about backing the clickers all the way out when assembling the valve stem or cartridge rods to the base plug or top plug. 

Oops, my bad.  Its the rebound clickers at the top.  I pulled the fork caps off and they both go out the same distance but the one only goes in 15 clicks.  It stands up a mm above the fork cap.  The other one will turn in a mm below the fork cap.

Suggestions?

Then, as I said, the clickers were not backed out all the way when it was reassembled.  When this happens, the adjuster screw comes to bear against the long, hollow needle push rod before the rod bottoms out in the top plug/adjuster assembly.  Then you have that side cap too far above the bleed needle way down in the cartridge, and you end up with an extra few clicks on it. 

Correct this by backing both clickers all the way out, unlocking the rod nuts from the caps, and running the caps down on the rods until you can feel them positively stop as the rods bottom in the threads of the cap.  Reassemble, go forth and sin no more.

The only other possibility is some sort of physical damage to one of the bleed adjuster needles or seats.  Not really very likely.

Did this already, not the issue unless I am not understanding you.

"unlocking the rod nuts from the caps, and running the caps down on the rods until you can feel them positively stop as the rods bottom in the threads of the cap.  Reassemble, go forth and sin no more."

Maybe I'm not being clear. The problem is in the cap.  

1. Fork cap adjuster (rebound).

2. When backing out the clickers all the way on the fork caps (cap alone, not mounted) the clicker adjustments are even.  The clickers are like 3mm above the surface of the cap.  

3. When I turn the clickers in, one cap will turn 20+ clicks and will turn in below the surface of the top of the cap.  The other one will only turn in 15-16 clicks.  It stops about 1mm before the top of the cap.

4.  So, is there a way to fix the adjuster in the cap?  Are they replaceable?

My caps look like this.... (pic below).

I just purchased this poor bike last week.  Project bike, $350 (blown motor).

-thanks for your help

topcapundone.jpg

Edited by Garage_Dog

problem is your cap, but do you need to have the rebound fully closed??

reassemble them, close both adjusters, the turn the adjuster on the good side counterclockwise until ist even with the bad side

and count the clicks.

if its less than 10clicks i would leave it as it is...

If that occurs with the cap separated from the rod, then it's a wadded spring or debris build up in the threaded pocket where the clicker lives, the cap assembly is defective.