Sign in to follow this  

Using or burning oil?

Has anyone had a problem with there bike starting to use or burn oil?I have a hour meter on my bike and it only has 10.4 hours on it.I broke it in with the stock oil in it for just over a hour and since then I have been running a simi- synthetic oil in it,this is the same oil I ran in my last 3 YZ250F's(Yamalube-4 R)with no problems ever.I know I had the correct amount in it before my last ride and when I checked it today before riding it it was down almost 1/2 quart.Has anyone else have this happen yet?

You left the original oil in for the 1 hour break-in? The question is, how did you break the bike in during that hour? What kind of semi-synthetic oil are you using now? I know that Pro Honda HP4 is a semi-synthetic oil, it says right on the bottle that it is suitable for break-in. I don't think that your oil is the problem. How did you break the bike in is a more important question.

I really didn't baby it that much during break in.I would ride for 10-20 minutes and then let it cool down and go out and do it again.The oil I am using now is Yamaha's race oil,its Yamalube 4-R.I have had really good luck with it in the last 3 YZ250F's I had.I had some left over so I thought I would use it up...

How do you know it was down half a quart? Is that how much you had to add to bring it up to the full mark? Do you check the oil according to the steps listed in the manual? Let it idle for 3 minutes, let it set for 3 minutes then check it. Is the bike smoking?

I had to add almost 1/2 quart,I did check oil according to the steps in the manual and no it is not smoking.The bike still runs really good,I just rode it tonight at our local indoor track.

If the bike is not smoking, and it runs ok, then there's not much else to do. The bike only holds about 3/4 of a quart of engine oil. I can understand why you would be worried, a half quart seems like a lot in one ride. How many times have you changed the oil? I personally have not had a problem yet. I left the original oil in the bike for the break-in ride (approx 4 hours). I then switched to Pro Honda HP4 semi-synthetic. I rode it during break-in like I would normally ride. I didn't do anything different.

I have changed it 3 times now.I will probally just change it again tomorrow and keep a close eye on it the next few rides.Thanks

Mine smokes like a 2 stroke when cold and idling but I don't notice it at all once it's warmed up and running. It seems to be pretty fussy on how you check it , ie 3 min on ,3 min off, perfectly level etc. I thought mine was using oil at first too but now it either stopped or reduced the amount or I learned how to check it and get a more favorable dipstick reading

Hey man, I had a 4fiddy that burned oil pretty good. Are you using oil with Molly? Honda R&D has found that the molly chemical is causing the oil to burn in these thumpers. They are now actually recommending HP4 with no Molly for both sides of the case! - Todd 🙂