Klx 650 c Trailtech speedo installation help

Hello guys,New to the forum.

Quick question,I have a 1994 klx650c i recently purchased and am in the process of upgrading it.

Have a trial tech vapor speedo ready to fit,however just wondering about the stock instrument gauges etc.

Is it literally a case of unplugging the old dash and fitting the Vapor? Is the Dash used to complete the stock wiring circuit? e.g-if i unplug it and leave it unplugged is it going to effect the running of the bike? What about the dash lights,how would i go about wiring these up?

electrics really isn't my strong point,got the basics covered but way too complicated for me.

any help greatly appreciated,any more info you need please feel free to ask.

thanks

Jordan.

The Vapor comes with all it's own sensors and connections. So unless you are really good at electronics and figuring out the signals the come from stock sensors, you'll be using the Vapor parts.

It's not hard to install. There's a speedo pickup and magnet for the front wheel, a temp sensor for the engine, a wire for the tach which goes on the spark plug wire, and then the battery connections. Might take you an hour or two tops start to finish.

As far as unplugging the stock stuff, I assume the bike will run just fine. But, not owning a KLX I can't say for certain.

There are no dash lights to wire up with the vapor. It has it's own internal light, which comes on when the bike is running. That light always stays on with it running, there's no switch for it. It goes off by itself after a while of the engine stopping.

My Vapor, installed on 06 KLX250, came with two wires for the tach that connected to 2 of 3 stock wires; one of the stock wires was capped.  Look at your existing gage cluster and see what the current tach connects to and perhaps the Vapor wires can connect to those than spark plug wire.  This is better approach from what I hear (no personal experience).

For the speedo, you'll likely need to attach a magnet to the front rotor and find a location to mount the pickup sensor.  Then the stock speedo cable can be deleted, but be sure to plug the hole left in the speedo assembly on the front wheel. 

You may need to get creative on where to install the temperature sensor.  I originally put in in the radiator hose using their fitting, but later moved it to the radiator and deleted the high-temp indicator light sensor.

If your stock dash has indicator lights for turn signal, neutral, high beam, over temp (or similar), there is a vapor "dash" unit for installing these lights.  On my KLX, I just pulled the indicators, rubber bushing and all, from the stock cluster and stuffed them in the vapor dash.  Your vapor doesn't need any illuminating background lights; it has its own.

Keep in mind my application is an '06 2006 KLX250.  YMMV.

Edited by IDRIDR