Stage one mods - Hmmmm - gone back to stock

Hey Guys - like many others I have gone with upgraded full FMF exhaust with EJK controller, modified air filter, modified air box, 13t sprocket and stripped off the excess weight like tool box, added the lighter Shorai battery etc. I am also pretty light @ 11 stone which is 154 pounds to my US friends.

To be honest I thought it was transformed! Seemed so much more 'on it' and sounded GREAT! Felt 20% faster

Or so I thought?!.....

Yesterday my Pal rode with me on a bog standard CRF250L on the road / light trails / back roads and the difference was minimal.

I thought I was going to be blasting past him at every moment - but I just wasn't...or not by much.

In the UK we have problems with loud pipes causing offence and my pipe was getting the wrong reaction too - whilst my pal breezed past with a smile and a wave from dog walkers and residents.

So.... I've spent today putting it back to stock (except for the R&G rear light, risers and small indicators)

Bit gutted, but actually as a dual sport and having ridden it again in stock form today I think Honda got the stock bike right for most of us

Ade

P1050054.jpg

Edited by CRF250LAde
  • Like 5

I have always said this is a fantastic bike stock ...  :thumbsup:  and I would have been very happy with it completely stock.

It really is the best dual sport you can buy for the money and is an excellent commuter and rides plush on mild trails at a moderate pace.... :ride:  

The stage 1 mods ... only add 2 to 3 HP and the lower gearing can help prevent stalling it out on the steep hills off road. I honestly believe that upgrading the suspension is what will make you faster on the trails ...  :ride:

The bottom line is ....... everything depends on the individual needs and wants of the rider.... :prof:  Just adding the stage 1 kit is not a waste of money but the percentage of increased power is not going to magically turn this into a race bike.

Add the 305 big bore kit combined with the stage 1 and also upgrade the suspension and tires... now the results are a very big improvement...  :thumbsup: 

Now the bike will have over 50% more HP .... and over 10X better handling and traction. 

The beauty of this bike is how versatile it is and how many different directions we can all take it with modifications and all the aftermarket parts that are available to us. 

and with all this being said ....  :blah:

you have a very nice looking setup Ade ...  :cheers:

post-382670-0-47401400-1393175911.jpg

• Like 3

I just finished the stage one and it's a bit more zippy, I think I may just roll the throttle more to hear the fmf snap.

How necessary are the air box mods on the stage 1 kit?

Do you have to remove the backfire screen and snorkel? The snorkel just pulls out from the top right?

• Like 4

Do you have to remove the backfire screen and snorkel? The snorkel just pulls out from the top right?

yes you are correct and it does make a difference ....  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

So its a wast of $900 to do fmf and ejk? Glad I saved my money then!

Not a waste, but NOT the transformation i hoped for at the time..

But worth it if the 'on it' sound is your thing, but probably needs a 305 kit and cam to be a different bike.

But as standard i probably didn't appreciate it's ability as its so quiet.

If you really need more ( and i don't for what i use it for) then buy a CRF250X - but thats a focused off roader - the 250L is a dual sport and should be accepted and appreciated for that! It does everything well.

I have a Ducati if i want ultimate on street thrills, but for every other occasion the 250L is unbeatable!

• Like 3

My vision was to build the perfect "old man" dirt bike with CRF250X like capabilities in a low maintenance reliable Dual Sport. And this is because for me .... I want to ride the trails with my son and also fart around town on it. I do not use it for transportation or adventure travels. It is a recreational toy for me. I know it will never be a real competition bike and that is not what I was after. 
I also just wanted to build or create something unique that not many other people will have and I think I have done just that ....  :thumbsup:

I have sunk an insane amount of money in mine and have no regrets and absolutely love it and feel as tho I made the right decision for me  ....  :banana:
I honestly do not think I could like any other machine as much as I do my custom CBR305X concept bike ...  :cheers:

I bought my boy a 2014 CRF150F yesterday ...  :ride:

the 250L is a dual sport and should be accepted and appreciated for that!

Nothing should be accepted !!! ... make it yours ... make it unique ... and share with the world !!! .... :lol:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 3

I put my stage one kit on the bike the second day I owned it.  Yes its no huge difference but it definitely livens it up, and the weight savings is nice also.  I went a long time before I installed the 13T cog thou.  Personally for me sound is a big thing, so just getting the sweet sound of the FMF added a lot to the enjoyment factor.  The bike sounds like such a wimp in its stock form, its kinda sad.  I think the biggest difference is it gives the bike much more ability to maintain highway speeds.  It does give a slight snap in acceleration around town or on the trails, but the biggest difference is noticed on the top end, when your on the highway, it will be much easier to maintain speeds, and less down shifting.  With the stage one and airbox mods I can run the bike up the "mountain" (7% grades) in 6th gear.  And what REALLY made it able to pull was opening up the air box.  Before that there was NO CHANCE of pulling the mountain without getting into 5th or even 4th gear.  You really have to open up the air box to get the most out of it.  Even stage one with minor air box mods (backfire screen delete and minor snorkel cut) I would have to get into 5th at some point pulling the mountain.  But after finally opening up the air box I can pull it the whole way in 6th.

As for the intake mods...  First thing I did was cut the backfire screen off the filter.  But it was hard for me at first to think about ditching the snorkel, or putting any more holes in the air box.  The last thing I wanted to do was compromise the bikes ability offroad just to gain 1hp.   So at first all I did was cut off the section of the snorkel inside the air box that faces away from the filter.  Probably didnt gain much there.  I rode it like that for a while.  But ofcourse we cant leave things alone.  So then I finally convinced myself that I would likely never be riding thru water up to my seat on a bike with plates, blinkers, and mirrors on it, at least not on purpose!  So I pulled the snorkel out of the air box.  WOW.  I honestly think that was the single biggest improvement I did on the bike, power wise.  You also get a nice rumble sound from the airbox too.  So I rode it like that for a little while.  Next I decided Id try some holes in the air box, but I wanted to keep all the holes ontop to keep the intake as high as possible.  So I went to the hardware store and got two plastic/nylon 1" plugs, came home and drilled two 1" holes in the top of the air box.  For the first ride I plugged one of the holes.  I could feel a slight improvement, nothing big.  Next I rode it with both holes open, so no snorkel and two 1" holes.  Couldnt really feel much improvement over no snorkel and one 1" hole.  Only real difference was it didnt seem to cackle and pop much anymore on decel.  Before if I let off the throttle and then opened it back up very slightly it would make a nice pop and cackle, but not anymore.  Last I tried it without the airbox cover on, just to see if that made any difference, couldnt feel any difference between that and two 1" holes ontop of the box.

So I think the biggest gain came from simply pulling the snorkel out, if you want a little more drill a 1" hole in the top of the box.  But after that, I really couldnt feel any more power gain.

But if you really want to utilize your newly opened up exhaust, you really need to get the intake opened up, removing the screen and snorkel makes a big difference.

• Like 6

Hi All,

I've got a full Arrow system, DNA air filter and EJK controller with standard airbox. My bike ran noticably slower at top end (5mph) with the stage1, with a small increase in accelleration - EJK settings were 3,3,6. I removed the snorkel, but no difference. After playing around with the EJK settings to 1.5,2,1.5 the bike now really flies especially on accelleration - there's a definite kick there now. The airbox is still standard - as no improvement found, so I guess it was running too rich. What I'm trying to say is that what works for some people, doesn't for others - as I've not come across other people on the forums running the same settings as me with a standard airbox, pipe etc.

Ade, did you play around with your settings?

• Like 1

I put my stage one kit on the bike the second day I owned it.  Yes its no huge difference but it definitely livens it up, and the weight savings is nice also.  I went a long time before I installed the 13T cog thou.  Personally for me sound is a big thing, so just getting the sweet sound of the FMF added a lot to the enjoyment factor.  The bike sounds like such a wimp in its stock form, its kinda sad.  I think the biggest difference is it gives the bike much more ability to maintain highway speeds.  It does give a slight snap in acceleration around town or on the trails, but the biggest difference is noticed on the top end, when your on the highway, it will be much easier to maintain speeds, and less down shifting.  With the stage one and airbox mods I can run the bike up the "mountain" (7% grades) in 6th gear.  And what REALLY made it able to pull was opening up the air box.  Before that there was NO CHANCE of pulling the mountain without getting into 5th or even 4th gear.  You really have to open up the air box to get the most out of it.  Even stage one with minor air box mods (backfire screen delete and minor snorkel cut) I would have to get into 5th at some point pulling the mountain.  But after finally opening up the air box I can pull it the whole way in 6th.

As for the intake mods...  First thing I did was cut the backfire screen off the filter.  But it was hard for me at first to think about ditching the snorkel, or putting any more holes in the air box.  The last thing I wanted to do was compromise the bikes ability offroad just to gain 1hp.   So at first all I did was cut off the section of the snorkel inside the air box that faces away from the filter.  Probably didnt gain much there.  I rode it like that for a while.  But ofcourse we cant leave things alone.  So then I finally convinced myself that I would likely never be riding thru water up to my seat on a bike with plates, blinkers, and mirrors on it, at least not on purpose!  So I pulled the snorkel out of the air box.  WOW.  I honestly think that was the single biggest improvement I did on the bike, power wise.  You also get a nice rumble sound from the airbox too.  So I rode it like that for a little while.  Next I decided Id try some holes in the air box, but I wanted to keep all the holes ontop to keep the intake as high as possible.  So I went to the hardware store and got two plastic/nylon 1" plugs, came home and drilled two 1" holes in the top of the air box.  For the first ride I plugged one of the holes.  I could feel a slight improvement, nothing big.  Next I rode it with both holes open, so no snorkel and two 1" holes.  Couldnt really feel much improvement over no snorkel and one 1" hole.  Only real difference was it didnt seem to cackle and pop much anymore on decel.  Before if I let off the throttle and then opened it back up very slightly it would make a nice pop and cackle, but not anymore.  Last I tried it without the airbox cover on, just to see if that made any difference, couldnt feel any difference between that and two 1" holes ontop of the box.

So I think the biggest gain came from simply pulling the snorkel out, if you want a little more drill a 1" hole in the top of the box.  But after that, I really couldnt feel any more power gain.

But if you really want to utilize your newly opened up exhaust, you really need to get the intake opened up, removing the screen and snorkel makes a big difference.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have the Stage 1  with snorkel and screen removed, I also have the Uni-filter. I rode the bike for about 1000 miles stock. The biggest gains I found after the mods was the bike's ability to hold speed on grades in high gear. I'm setting this bike up as a minimalist touring machine and that's exactly what I was looking for, better performance on the road. I also dialed my EJK down using Positrons settings and that also helped with throttle response.  No it's not a wheelie machine but now much better on the open road.

Edited by Brntrt
  • Like 5

Bike looks great!

Good advice above, these guys are awesome around here!

Maybe for your application do a 305 kit with EJK and DIY airbox mods... you will be dropping your friend on his stock 250L easily then. All my mods were helpful but the 305 kit transformed this bike, and for not too much money either, especially if you have a full pipe your returning or selling. Just a thought. 

:thumbsup:

• Like 3

Are you selling the pipe and controller? If so, what are you looking for?  If the price is right, I could be tempted... although I was leaning towards a Yoshi :excuseme:

Edited by Snifflytooth
  • Like 1

Are you selling the pipe and controller? If so, what are you looking for?  If the price is right, I could be tempted... although I was leaning towards a Yoshi :excuseme:

Just a heads up for you.   WTB or For Sale posts aren't allowed on tech forums, only in the classified forum.  This rule is set in stone.

Send him a PM and handle it there please. 

• Like 1

Just a heads up for you.   WTB or For Sale posts aren't allowed on tech forums, only in the classified forum.  This rule is set in stone.

lol i got in trouble for that! :devil: i didn't know! :confused:  i read my warning :bonk: I'm ok now :o

• Like 4

Sorry...... :blush:

• Like 1

lol i got in trouble for that! :devil: i didn't know! :confused:  i read my warning :bonk: I'm ok now :o

Well, the reason for that is that we don't have a million wanted/for sale topics in the search database. It would suck to search for info on product, only to find a bunch of old/dead for sale posts in your results. It's about search quality. That's why the classified section has it's own search database and ads expire.

This topic isn't about "a wanted" post specifically, so there is some latitude. :)

• Like 5

I like the fact that you only have 2 bikes listed on your specialty store signature and one of them is the "L". ;-)

Well, the reason for that is that that we don't have a million wanted/for sale topics in the search database. It would suck to search for info on product, only to find a bunch of old/dead for sale posts in your results. It's about search quality. That's why the classified section has it's own search database and ads expire.

This topic isn't about "a wanted" post specifically, so there is some latitude. :)

• Like 2

My vision was to build the perfect "old man" dirt bike with CRF250X like capabilities in a low maintenance reliable Dual Sport. And this is because for me .... I want to ride the trails with my son and also fart around town on it. I do not use it for transportation or adventure travels. It is a recreational toy for me. I know it will never be a real competition bike and that is not what I was after. 

I also just wanted to build or create something unique that not many other people will have and I think I have done just that ....  :thumbsup:

I have sunk an insane amount of money in mine and have no regrets and absolutely love it and feel as tho I made the right decision for me  ....  :banana:

I honestly do not think I could like any other machine as much as I do my custom CBR305X concept bike ...  :cheers:

I bought my boy a 2014 CRF150F yesterday ...  :ride:

Nothing should be accepted !!! ... make it yours ... make it unique ... and share with the world !!! .... :lol:

You bought the kid a new bike? Awesome. Wish I had a dad like you when I was a kid.

• Like 4