Sign in to follow this  

Yz295 build

I just got my more better yz295 kit back . What are you guys running for gear ratios and jet sizes? I will be using it for Mx in the sand.

I just got my more better yz295 kit back . What are you guys running for gear ratios and jet sizes? I will be using it for Mx in the sand.

The jetting is quite different from bike to bike. Mine I had go down on the pilot and up the main which is contrary to what others have done.....sorry I can't help there.

Sand will put a bigger load on the bike but it should safely pull a 14t front and 48 or 49t rear with the additional pow. May I suggest you wire your grips really well because it will pull like a mule....no joke either. One hare scramble I did the grips were all twisted unevenly. Very rarely do I get any insterested in riding it either....one time is plenty for most :jawdrop:        

Go to yamaha.motor.com and order wheel/pinion gears from the 98 WR 400..(with 14/48) Best decision I ever made on my big bore YZ.. Its about 300.00 or so for the parts and an afternoon splitting cases.. TOTALLY worth it.. Good luck..

Edit: I only did 3-5 gears as a full 1-5 set requires some case work for the 1st gear to spin freely..  As above on jetting, I ended up leaner on my pilot and richer on my main but again, all bike are different.. Climate, ride style, exhaust, intake etc etc..

Edited by bikedude127

Check your squish clearance. You cannot assume EG made it right for your motor. Aim for 1.60mm.  Then jet it.

My mo betta 295:

Sea level. Moderate temps. Fatty exhaust. Stock (EU long) muffler.  1.60mm squish.  About 45:1 TTS oil mix. 245 psi with new rings. Aus 98 fuel.

My motor rips with P=45, slide=8, needle=W on mid clip (3), main = 172.

I adjust the timing for the type of riding. Near stock for an insane wide mid range burst, or retarded a lot for less aggressive and super broad power for trails or bad traction conditions.

With a 48 pilot the initial roll on power is more gentle, but more spooge. 45 way more initial power.

With the stock 7 slide there was an annoying rich burble at 1/8th throttle.

With the needle on clip 2 (stock and leaner) I had hesitation then an abrupt difficult power surge.

With a 175 main it is slightly rough when tapped out side open, and much less wide open power than the 172.

Edited by numroe