Moto Apps That Are Da $#@!??? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Leatt XXL 5.5 Pro HD Chest Protectors out of stock till mid April, please advise!

So after all my research on what gear would best protect me during my mixed surface dual sport rides  (30 miles of pavement to endless dirt roads and trails etc) I decided on the leatt 5.5 hd pro since it has the rib protection and seems super solid for pavement as well (with appropriate abrasion shell)

I just got my first bike and have barely been off road.  I have been gathering the gear so I can start getting out there and learning with the confidence that I am fully geared up.  Since this piece of the gear puzzle will be missing until mid-April I was wondering what you guys might suggest!

I was thinking of just getting a cheap roost guard or something of the likes until the leatt gets in but am wondering if that is just a waste of money for my purposes.

Please let me know what you think about this situation, almost all my other gear will be here next week and it's supposed to be in the 60's and 70's!

Thanks for the help as always :ride:

Just take it easy when riding for a couple months, you're not going to die if you don't have a chest protector on. The most important thing is that you have a helmet, goggles, boots and some kind of abrasion resistant pants/jersey.

The regular size is in stock in most stores but the XXL is real hard tofind.  Let me know if anyone see's one!  I called Chaparell motorsports and asked them if they had any XXL's and they said yes.  I ordered and they responded saying it would be in April 20th... pissed me off a little.  now I can't find em anywhere

Hollothere2:  I have all those things except the jersey and pants.. I am getting klim mojaves.  I figured I could take it easy but I have been waiting this long I know I will be pushing the limits! :)

Edit: I just noticed revzilla does not have them updated as out of stock but i am not getting my hopes up

Edited by New2Moto

The regular size is in stock in most stores but the XXL is real hard tofind.  Let me know if anyone see's one!  I called Chaparell motorsports and asked them if they had any XXL's and they said yes.  I ordered and they responded saying it would be in April 20th... pissed me off a little.  now I can't find em anywhere

Hollothere2:  I have all those things except the jersey and pants.. I am getting klim mojaves.  I figured I could take it easy but I have been waiting this long I know I will be pushing the limits! :)

Edit: I just noticed revzilla does not have them updated as out of stock but i am not getting my hopes up

It won't let me order it after all, i guess they r out of stock too

I have the 5.5HD pro. Its a good protector, but it vents almost no air at all. In your situation what I would do, is look for a chest protector that flows air really well, but still seems like a solid unit.  I rode on a 50 degree day, and could not feel any cool air passing through this chest protector. It is going to be in my gearbag during the hottest days of summer this year, and I will trade impact protection for heat exhaustion protection and find another cp that can allow real airflow. (the reason is not just the wrap around sides, but the eps like foam layer that provides the protection only has a few small holes in it, very inadequate for cooling air flow.)  I used to have an hrp flak jak that seemed to work well with a neck brace but allow alot of air to move. May get another one.

I have the 5.5HD pro. Its a good protector, but it vents almost no air at all. In your situation what I would do, is look for a chest protector that flows air really well, but still seems like a solid unit.  I rode on a 50 degree day, and could not feel any cool air passing through this chest protector. It is going to be in my gearbag during the hottest days of summer this year, and I will trade impact protection for heat exhaustion protection and find another cp that can allow real airflow. (the reason is not just the wrap around sides, but the eps like foam layer that provides the protection only has a few small holes in it, very inadequate for cooling air flow.)  I used to have an hrp flak jak that seemed to work well with a neck brace but allow alot of air to move. May get another one.

Are there any other options with complete rib protection out there for under $300?  I know of one more by alpinestar I think but I have not heard great reviews... and then the tak vest but i think thats the one that is pricey

I wonder how much shipping would be from New Zealand...probably way way too much lol

Are there any other options with complete rib protection out there for under $300?  I know of one more by alpinestar I think but I have not heard great reviews... and then the tak vest but i think thats the one that is pricey

I wonder how much shipping would be from New Zealand...probably way way too much lol

Thats the problem I want it all, full protection and good venting, so the 5.5 was as close as I could find. The Astar gets average reviews, not sure about venting though it does have a good ce rating.  Then theres the bull riding style vests like moto x vest, etc might as well be wearing a coat imho.  Pretty sure Ill be trading impact protection for heat stroke protection in the middle of summer and just going with a light roost guard and vented gear.Which is the lessor of two evils?

Thats the problem I want it all, full protection and good venting, so the 5.5 was as close as I could find. The Astar gets average reviews, not sure about venting though it does have a good ce rating.  Then theres the bull riding style vests like moto x vest, etc might as well be wearing a coat imho.  Pretty sure Ill be trading impact protection for heat stroke protection in the middle of summer and just going with a light roost guard and vented gear.Which is the lessor of two evils?

Ya, I really don't know what I will need for the terrain and temperature until I ride a bit more off road.  I have been trying to outfit myself with the most protective gear at first (while I am still a huge newb)  and then once i get more comfortable that uber protective gear will come in handy when I go out to really test my limits.  As the oppressive summer commences I will probably find myself purchasing lighter more venting protection just to survive the heat.  This is from today.. jZr6Rtn.jpg?1

Hi guys. First let me say Leatt USA apologizes for being out of these. They are very new and we had no idea that we would sell any many size XXL as we have. We did get another shipment in last week but they all had orders for them going to dealers. I checked those dealers and they have all already sold them out so I can't help you until next shipment comes in.

Just a note on CE certifications on chest/back protectors. There are three safety standards for the chest and two for the back. On the chest the lowest level is for roost protection, called CE EN 14021, and a protector certified to this standard is not useless but really not good either. They do not test it for impact absorption, just it's ability to shield you from what they call "lofted stones". Then there are two impact protection safety standards specifically for the chest, if the product passes this is does not mean the chest and back are tested, just the chest. They are CE EN pr 1621-3 Level 1 (approx. 70% for impact protection that a roost guard) and the same standard but in Level 2 (CE EN pr1621-3, Level 2) for about 90% more impact protection than a roost guard.

Also there are two impact protection safety standards specifically for the back, if the product passes this is does not mean the chest and back are tested, just the back. They are CE EN 1621-2 Level 1 (approx. 70% for impact protection that a roost guard) and the same standard but in Level 2 (CE EN 1621-2, Level 2) for about 90% more impact protection than a roost guard.

The Alpinestars protector that passes CE Level 2 for back protection is a great back protector but it is only a roost guard on the front. I point this out not to say anything bad about their protector but just to point out that chest and back protection is equally important but can not often be found in the same piece of protective equipment.

As far as heat build up goes generally the more protection you wear the hotter it is. No real way to get around it. But Leatt, like all the other manufacturers try to put in as many vents as possible and still pass the relevant safety standards. Personally I wear two sets of CE Level two protectors. One for hot weather or moto cross that is lighter and a bigger, heavier set for off road technical with rocks etc. and for Grands Prix. If you can only afford one set get the heavier duty, CE Level two ones only and ride safer for many years longer.

• Like 1

Hi guys. First let me say Leatt USA apologizes for being out of these. They are very new and we had no idea that we would sell any many size XXL as we have. We did get another shipment in last week but they all had orders for them going to dealers. I checked those dealers and they have all already sold them out so I can't help you until next shipment comes in.

Thank you for chiming in with that info!  I was starting to get upset that the dealer would say 'they will be in at the end of Feb'  'now they say the middle of march' 'now it is april 20th'

Luckily I signed up for an email notice from moto-superstore and many other online dealers and was able to snag one 2 nights ago, it says it shipped today. 

I am a brand new rider (never had a bike until now) and thought it would be prudent to be as protected as possible initially.  This 5.5 pro hd seems to be the top of the line for upper protection so I am excited to get it and make sure it works with all the other dual sport gear I am getting. 

I appreciate you letting us know about why they are out of stock everywhere!  O, I wanted to ask:  How will they protect on the pavement?  Have y'all ever done tests?  Thanks!

NOTE* There are some white xxl in stock at motorcycle-superstore.com  (according to customer service rep)

Thank you for chiming in with that info!  I was starting to get upset that the dealer would say 'they will be in at the end of Feb'  'now they say the middle of march' 'now it is april 20th'

Luckily I signed up for an email notice from moto-superstore and many other online dealers and was able to snag one 2 nights ago, it says it shipped today. 

I am a brand new rider (never had a bike until now) and thought it would be prudent to be as protected as possible initially.  This 5.5 pro hd seems to be the top of the line for upper protection so I am excited to get it and make sure it works with all the other dual sport gear I am getting. 

I appreciate you letting us know about why they are out of stock everywhere!  O, I wanted to ask:  How will they protect on the pavement?  Have y'all ever done tests?  Thanks!

NOTE* There are some white xxl in stock at motorcycle-superstore.com  (according to customer service rep)

It will work better on an asphalt crash than street specific products. I started and ran the Icon brand of street apparel and street clothing has issues in that it sticks the the ground more than plastic. This causes tumbling where sliding is safer (generally) and sticking to the ground also causes the garments to pull away from the ares you are trying to protect.

All in all be super careful on the street. Act like the cars are trying to kill you and wear all your off road stuff and it will be OK.

Motorcycle Superstore is definitely one of the better places to shop, nice people too.

So after all my research on what gear would best protect me during my mixed surface dual sport rides  (30 miles of pavement to endless dirt roads and trails etc) I decided on the leatt 5.5 hd pro since it has the rib protection and seems super solid for pavement as well (with appropriate abrasion shell)

I just got my first bike and have barely been off road.  I have been gathering the gear so I can start getting out there and learning with the confidence that I am fully geared up.  Since this piece of the gear puzzle will be missing until mid-April I was wondering what you guys might suggest!

I was thinking of just getting a cheap roost guard or something of the likes until the leatt gets in but am wondering if that is just a waste of money for my purposes.

Please let me know what you think about this situation, almost all my other gear will be here next week and it's supposed to be in the 60's and 70's!

Thanks for the help as always :ride:

I would ride without a chest protector for a day.. just be careful.  If you feel uncomfortable, that you are pushing yourself too hard, slow down.  I learned that the hard way.  Gotta listen to that little voice.

Just checked Rky Mtn and they're out also - 8 April estimated in stock.

I called Leatt to ask some questions and ended up just buying one from them...FWIW.

Good luck.

Just checked Rky Mtn and they're out also - 8 April estimated in stock.

I called Leatt to ask some questions and ended up just buying one from them...FWIW.

Good luck.

Mine should be in tomorrw, I really hope it fits me and my other gear well!  I will test it out sat if my bike makes it out of the 600 mi inspection before 6 friday

JUST ARRIVED!  Fits me great!

I have a silly newb question though...

Is a protector like this (larger than just a roost) meant to be worn under a jersey or as the outter layer over a jersey it seems to be a little bulky to get under a jersey with easeT

hanks!

Cactus thorns are difficult to remove from the inside of the upper arm protectors.

I crashed in to a cactus last time I rode, but have no idea how they got on the inside.  It was too much of a PITA to remove so I just rode without them today.

Just so you know.