Sign in to follow this  

Basically the only time a fan is needed is in slow going grueling conditions where the engine is being pushed hard. If you keep your speed above about 7mph, a fan generally is not required. A properly jetted engine, JD jetted or otherwise, will run cooler than one which is too lean.

Depends on the temps and terrain you ride in. The JD kit and exhaust mod don't facilitate the need for a fan. Tight slow riding where there is not much air flow over the rads do however.

I have a JD kit, akra titanium exhaust on my 09 450XC-W. They didn't have an effect on operating temps. 100°+ temps in the AZ desert did though. I installed a fan, oversize water pump, CV4 2 bar rad cap and silicon hose kit to combat the heat. Rare that the bike gets over 190° now.

My '09 530-EXC actually ran cooler after fitting the JD jetting kit & stopped boiling over completely & that was after fitting a fan & Engine Ice. Poorly jetted from the factory from the beginning.

2013 KTM 500-EXC & 2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200

True that the JD kit isn't cheap but look at it like this. You will have all the jets you need for every possible situation for your bike. Take a trip to 10k' asl you're covered, turn around a go ride at sea level your covered, hot temps to cold you have it.

I live at 2500' asl, but go and visit family in Colorado and ride at about 12k' and just bust out the JD kit make a couple of changes and good to go. If you only ride at one elevation and let's say only summer than the JD kit may not be the most cost effective way to go.

• Like 1

+1 on the JD jet kit. Using the JD jet chart and parts I set my carb up for a trip to Colorado. Went from 6,000 to 13,000 with the same jetting and found it to be more than acceptable.

Can I un cork my exhaust and not do the jets?

NO. If your bike has the stock jets it is already running leaner than it should be. Removing the disc on your exhaust will make it run even leaner which means hotter.

Get the JD jet kit and make your bike run the way it should run.

• Like 1

i was doing the same thing you are doing but didn't take any chances and just installed the fan anyway along with HP rad cap and using Evans coolant. it has NOT boiled over or overheated once since installing all this after i jetted the carb. I run my bike hard too, scrambles and a lot of long sandy rides..

More help please...

I have the jets now. So if I install them and "un cork" the exhaust... Does the exhaust mod remove the spark arrestor?

Will it make it more than 96 db?

I would like to stay legal..

Thanks