Sign in to follow this  

Polaris Another Polaris 90 wiring dilemma

I do not have a wiring diagram for this bike, but am trying to diagnose an electrical problem.  Here is what I do know:

Battery has 13 volts and is in good shape

starter works well when jumped straight from the battery.

I jumped the brake switch

The key switch has 12.8v at the red and black, when key is on, red and the wire next to black have 12.8v

fuse on positive battery connection is good.

I do have spark, I jumped the starter and I grounded the plug and had blue spark.

I am stuck on where my next check can be.  I have a multimeter and know how to check for current or connectivity, just not enough experience to know what should be reading what and what wires to check next.  Are there any checks I can do to identify if it could be a coil, CDI or the starter switch that is my problem?  I have searched and seen that these are common problems.  I got the quad for $50 and can throw money into it and still have a good deal, but do not want to just go buy a new coil, CDI and starter switch cluster.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

2004 Polaris Sportsman 90.JPG

Edited by jump6pack

Update:

I cleaned the carb, was able to get it to fire and run on carb cleaner.  I still have the tank off it as I am still chasing the wiring problem.  I jumped the starter directly from the battery and with a new plug it fired and ran.  Smoked a lot, I think a lot of oil was in the cylinder.  So far I have power from the battery to the key, but am at a loss where to chase next.  I think I am just going to start checking continuity on wires, anyone got a wiring diagram for this thing?

Jim

Update: I'm still a at a loss on this thing. I have a good bulb, but no brake light at all with key on, kill switch in run, brake lever pulled. I checked for continuity in the brake switch and the circuit is open, when I apply the brakes it closes the circuit. I have power to the key. I have spark when it turns over by jumping straight from the battery to the starter. Anyone?? Any ideas where to check next??

Jim

Edited by jump6pack