Mx training besides running

What do you do to train for mx other than running? Not saying I don't run I just wanna know what else

Road biking and some crossfit for core strength. Mtb'ing is good too, but road biking seems to do more for my cardio.

Be sure to get a heart rate monitor and train in your high intensity zones for atleast the length of your races if not more. Wear one when your riding your bike for a race to give you an idea of your cardio zone you should be training in and trust me its way up there.

I find for me due to the fact ive had 2 knee reconstructions and recovered from a broken back a few years ago cycling and rowing being low impact work for me and doing sprints every 5 mins to get to my VFmax a few times during my session ive had the best results.

also dont just rely on cardio. try doing some balance and strength exersizes with a swiss ball after cardio and dont do 2 intense cardio sessions in a row have a rest day inbetween where you dont get your heart rate out of its aerobic state.

This is just what ive found that works for me but everyone is different.

Skateboarding is something I like to do on the side I'm pretty sure that helps me with my balance

What do you do to train for mx other than running? Not saying I don't run I just wanna know what else

Running/jogging is good for the core, but its bad for the knees. I wouldn't use it as a base exercise.

Training for riding motocross is very individual specific. Its important to read more about it and build a program based on what you read which will benefit what your lacking. Core for dirt bike riding is the key, with cardio ability right beside it. You can have all the muscle/strength in the world, but without cardio, you'll be nowhere. Same goes for someone with no muscle strength and great cardio/core. That happy balance is the key to success in this sport. Gary Semics has some great training programs which you can do from home. I'd hit up his website www.garysemics.com and www.racerxvt.com which also has some great tips.

Anyone who believes running is bad for your knees has no place giving out training tips. It's an old wives tale that holds absolutely no truth. You made the same ridiculous statement before and I schooled you then but apparently you don't remember.

• Like 5

I don't have a problem with running it just gets old hah

I guess the best training is putting in motos when ever you can and forcing your self to put in the extra mile

Anyone who believes running is bad for your knees has no place giving out training tips. It's an old wives tale that holds absolutely no truth. You made the same ridiculous statement before and I schooled you then but apparently you don't remember.

I feel as if you're knees are already damaged(like mine), running isn't good for them. I've attested to this as when I do run a lot, my knees get very painful. My knees aren't weak, I squat 225+ and deadlift 300, but they have their issues. I found doing running once a week or do helps rather than running 4-5 times like I used to.

I feel as if you're knees are already damaged(like mine), running isn't good for them. I've attested to this as when I do run a lot, my knees get very painful. My knees aren't weak, I squat 225+ and deadlift 300, but they have their issues. I found doing running once a week or do helps rather than running 4-5 times like I used to.

Running might work for some, but many people involved in MX have some sort of knee issue or another. Running is out of the question for me, I have multiple torn ligaments and severe crepitus in my knees from years of motocross. I need surgery to fix a few things, but I can live without it for the time being. I really should stop riding all together, but I can't bring myself to do so. For me running is out of the question because my knees blow up like balloons every time I run more than 100 yards. I have found that for me a combination of bicycling, rock climbing, and swimming along with practicing mx work well.

Max, I truly hate to disagree with you, but talk to my PT about this. I have been running for 20 years @ 7 minute pace and now have major meniscus and IBT issues and the major cause was just the years and years of repetive motion. May major issue was a lack of stretching, for those of you that run (and I hope to start up again soon, been off my feet since Sept 6), do yourself a favor and STRETCH!! before and after and also buy yourself a foam roller and use them of your IT bands. Again, I love running but if you intend to do it over multi year timeframe try to be smart about it.

• Like 2

Next to bicycling, a rowing machine is the closest exercise to simulate riding I have found. Concept 2 is considered a leading brand - if you can do 500 meters in 1:45 or below for 20 minutes straight your next moto will seem easy by comparison. There is never a line for the rowers at my gym, no one like them because they take much more effort than the ellipticals.

• Like 3

I'm a varsity track and cross country runner, I have more knee problems from running than anything else. 40-50 mile weeks my knees hurt all season and about two weeks in to the off season... It's a lot of impacts that cause swelling, ligament sprains, and meniscus injuries. I don't know how much you run but when you run at least 5 miles a day 6 days a week things happen.

Do some research guys, running doesn't cause knee problems it's all genetics or poor technique. Those of you with prior knee problems that's a different story. I've ran more miles then probably 99% of guys on here. 20-30 miles a week for 10 years plus 2 hours of wind sprints every week. (Not to mention the 2 hour grueling practice). I kept this pace year around for almost 10 years and now at 30 years old I can still run a 5k in under 20min. I wrestled at the national level in both college and freestyle.

Do some research guys, running doesn't cause knee problems it's all genetics or poor technique.

Not according to the doctors and trainers I've worked with.

Those of you with prior knee problems that's a different story.

What? Do you mean the guys who are older then you are and have run their entire life, yet have issues at an older age. They're right above telling you about their issues.

I've ran more miles then probably 99% of guys on here. 20-30 miles a week for 10 years plus 2 hours of wind sprints every week. (Not to mention the 2 hour grueling practice). I kept this pace year around for almost 10 years and now at 30 years old I can still run a 5k in under 20min. I wrestled at the national level in both college and freestyle.

Just wait until your 50 and you can't even walk without taking medication. It may be great for you now, but when all that cartilage is gone from years of running, it will be too late to listen.

Next to bicycling, a rowing machine is the closest exercise to simulate riding I have found. Concept 2 is considered a leading brand - if you can do 500 meters in 1:45 or below for 20 minutes straight your next moto will seem easy by comparison. There is never a line for the rowers at my gym, no one like them because they take much more effort than the ellipticals.

Yep, the Concept 2 is the right machine for indoor training.

• Like 1

I mountain bike a lot. Seems to be the closest thign I can think of, to develop MX skills. And we also have biking paths that I try to do 10miles down and back (20 total) on weekends. Me and my gf do that as often as we can. Plus, for me, I am on a hockey team so I'm on the ice for games, clinics etc 2+ times a week. That's about all I have time for, aside from light lifting at home. 

• Like 1

Try a VersaClimber - the most efficient piece of exercise equipment I've found.

Next fill the tank on your bike and ride hard ....... stop rest and repeat (my favorite training regiment)

• Like 2

Not according to the doctors and trainers I've worked with.

What? Do you mean the guys who are older then you are and have run their entire life, yet have issues at an older age. They're right above telling you about their issues.

Just wait until your 50 and you can't even walk without taking medication. It may be great for you now, but when all that cartilage is gone from years of running, it will be too late to listen.

Most trainers are jokes.  I will keep my opinions on most doctors to myself.  The fact is we are taught proper form for squating(debatable), bench press, swimming, etc...  When in your life did anyone ever teach you how to run?  The level of instruction the average person got regarding proper running technique came down to a gym teacher making you run a mile for the presidential physical fitness award.  We also grew up wearing basketball shoes/ cross trainers with massive padding in the heel and hardly any in the toe making them the equivalent of running in high heels.  We sit for 80% of our childhood and adult lives at school and work which causes tight hips and hamstrings which only exacerbates the issue.  Our bodies are so out of natural alignment and inflexible that it is no wonder that you put the average person out to run and they cause damage to themselves doing it.

If you ever want to do some good reading check this book out:  http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307279189

I will add though that unless you are willing to put in the work to correct your bodies issues and to work hard towards running with correct form than you should not run as you will do far more harm than good.  In case you're wondering my background is as an NASM and ASCM certified trainer with a degree in Kinesiology and Business from University of Illinois.

• Like 4