Sign in to follow this  

Oversized gas tank for an 09 yz250

I am looking to get an oversized gas tank for my 09 yz 295 to race a local hair scramble series. What brand do you guys reccomend? What size would you reccomend for a 2hr 15min range?

If you got the extra money get the zip Ty tank it's 3.1 or 3.2 gal and I've done over 2.5 hours at a gncc before with it on my 295

• Like 2

I recommend the regular 3.2 ims. I've ran both the zipty and the regular ims. I like how easy access to the spark plug is with the regular aims as opposed to the zipty being impossible to get to the spark plug without lifting the tank. Also I didn't like how the zipty tank only had one mounting bracket and seemed to move around a bit, whereas the regular has two just like the stock tank. One more thing i found annoying is that the zipty drops the petcock so low that its hard to run the gas line to the carb without looping it around or kinking it. Oh and for the record about the whole carrying the weight lower I really didn't notice a dang bit of difference while doing harescrambles.

• Like 1

I ran the Clarke for a couple years on my 05 and liked it.  The look of it grew on me after a while too.

After3.JPG

After1.JPG

Edited by _N8_

I'm also looking to go oversize on my 07 250. Are there any fitment issues regarding the tanks mentioned? Do the shrouds have to be trimmed for the IMS? Had a Clarke on a 94 CR and the seat never fit right,but I do like the look of the Clarke posted above. The ZipTy looks good but the one mounting bracket seems kind of strange. I would think it uses the weight of the fuel to keep it pulled down. I'm not worried about price,the way I see it is most of us think nothing of dropping $200 or more on graphics so under 3 bills seems pretty fair for a nice tank.

I've got the ims 3.2 on my 09. I had to trim the shrouds a bit in front of the top mount hole. Wasn't a huge deal tho.

Edited by desrider891

ZipTy is nice nice if you can wait up to 2 months for it.

I got one and I think it was worth it. 

• Like 1

Acerbis 3.3 here. Looks great, fits better than stock. Bashed me in the D at the last race though, hurt so bad I almost stopped to make sure I still had one. I think when I put my dry break on it will solve that problem though. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395315752.467451.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395315764.649547.jpg

Edited by Woodsweapon350

I have the Clark 3.2 and love the way it fits. You have to remove the stock frame rubber so the tank will sit low enough. Clark makes a thinner one of you can just make one yourself.

Here is the Clark 3.2 on my 06 yz250

2013-05-25_16-50-06_1_zps119e7c5b.jpg

• Like 2

I just got a 3.2 IMS today. Attempted to install it earlier and put my stocker back on. My shrouds would not bolt up without bulging really bad. I trimmed a ton of plastic off each side but still couldn't get rid of the bulge. I'm sending it back. Probably going for the Zip Ty