Trail Tech KTM digital fan kit anyone?

I'm not a big fan of Trail Tech's components as they aren't very sturdy, esp their wires and what not. I've had two stators go bad, a speedo radiator sensor conk out. By some miracle the flimsy computers from them I've had have been ok, despite having super flimsy wiring. 

But I was intrigued to see their radiator fan kit with built in temp sensor. It looks very sano and complete. Has anyone used one yet and can report? 

http://www.trailtech.net/electrical/digital-fankit/ktm-digital-fan-kit/732-fn1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of these for my '13 450 sx a while back. Just got around to installing it other day. On the sx model it will not fit where they want it up high, due to the tanks shape. I think i Can mount it lower, but havent got back to it. Im still wondering about the electricity, though. I figured id just hook it up and see, but im guessing my bike running with this fan on will be more consuming than charging.

Do most that install fans on sxf models need bigger stators?

It is built very well, though. The little temp guage is battery powered, id imagine same as an hour meter.

After i found all this out, of course i red fine print and sure enough says it wont work on sxf model without different tank and a stator upgrade.

If you look at factory ktms, theirs is mounted low on radiator, pretty sure i can do just that with this setup. Just trim bracket and such.

I installed one on my 08' XCF 450 a couple of races ago and it works great. I replaced a dirt tricks fan which was shorting out and running randomly. The nice thing about the dirt tricks fan was that it was super light, but it wasn't robust enough. Dirt tricks actually discontinued their fan and sent me the trail tech fan as a warranty replacement.... Damn good customer service!

The trail tech fan is pretty heavy, about 4 times as heavy as the dirt tricks fan, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 lbs? Its super robust though, and completely sealed. It was super basic to mount, 4 screws that work with existing holes on the stock radiator. The only problem I had with the installation was that the XCF's wiring harness doesn't have a stock plug for a fan, you have to run it straight to the battery. That's no biggie, but the supplied wire that you run to the battery and the wire coming off the fan both had female plastic connectors! Pretty dumb, but not too hard to fix, I just ran to the hardware store, got some bullet connectors and used them and taped them up tight.

The digital temperature control is easy to use, and the fan has functioned flawlessly through two hard races with lots of tight technical sections in 75 + degree weather.. Overall, very happy with the unit and would highly recommend it to others.ill try to post a couple pictures of the to fans that I took during the instal.

Oh... And I had no clearance issues with the stock XCF tank.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395898976.819949.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899040.854754.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899073.915225.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899109.914507.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899208.250916.jpg

• Like 1

Good morning Byron. Sorry, but I'm actually mounting the dirt tricks fan in my YZF. I'm just going to install a manual on off switch so that it cannot turn on when the bike is not running. I think you can fab up a mounting bracket out if aluminum from your local hardware store though. Heck, even some metal banding would work and would be super low profile.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 09 450XCF with an IMS tank. Do you think this Trail Tech fan will fit? Is it necessary to remove the entire radiator to fit it like you did? 

I installed one on my 08' XCF 450 a couple of races ago and it works great. I replaced a dirt tricks fan which was shorting out and running randomly. The nice thing about the dirt tricks fan was that it was super light, but it wasn't robust enough. Dirt tricks actually discontinued their fan and sent me the trail tech fan as a warranty replacement.... Damn good customer service!

The trail tech fan is pretty heavy, about 4 times as heavy as the dirt tricks fan, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 lbs? Its super robust though, and completely sealed. It was super basic to mount, 4 screws that work with existing holes on the stock radiator. The only problem I had with the installation was that the XCF's wiring harness doesn't have a stock plug for a fan, you have to run it straight to the battery. That's no biggie, but the supplied wire that you run to the battery and the wire coming off the fan both had female plastic connectors! Pretty dumb, but not too hard to fix, I just ran to the hardware store, got some bullet connectors and used them and taped them up tight.

The digital temperature control is easy to use, and the fan has functioned flawlessly through two hard races with lots of tight technical sections in 75 + degree weather.. Overall, very happy with the unit and would highly recommend it to others.ill try to post a couple pictures of the to fans that I took during the instal.

Oh... And I had no clearance issues with the stock XCF tank.
📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395898976.819949.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899040.854754.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899073.915225.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899109.914507.jpg📎ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1395899208.250916.jpg

No, my bike has stock sxf tank.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/Byron909/2013%20ktm%20450%20fe/D303E572-AA03-4162-8398-02BC6DECC314_zpsy0xoy0ke.jpg~original

Picture may not show it well, but on the sx tank it bulges forward about 4 inches up the radiator. Bottom has barely enough clearance. I think it opposite on the xc style oem tank.

Not sure of aftermarket.

Take a picture of the rt side of your bike with shroud off.

Its hard to tell, but id say it would be tough to fit.

I think the fans' tallest point at center is about 2 3/8 inches off the radiator. It is 4" round.

Here is the fan used on the trail tech kit

http://www.flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/store/SPAL-Fans-4%22-9%22-SPAL-Fans/c253_262/p292/SPAL-4%22-Puller-%3Cbr%3E30103018/product_info.html

It looks as if on your bike it has a better chance of being mounted up high like they want rather than low like i had to do mine.

No, my bike has stock sxf tank.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/Byron909/2013%20ktm%20450%20fe/D303E572-AA03-4162-8398-02BC6DECC314_zpsy0xoy0ke.jpg~original

Picture may not show it well, but on the sx tank it bulges forward about 4 inches up the radiator. Bottom has barely enough clearance. I think it opposite on the xc style oem tank.

Not sure of aftermarket.

Take a picture of the rt side of your bike with shroud off.

Hey Byron I have a 2013 sxf 250. Did your bikes stator run the fan with any problems. How hard was it to modify a bracket to fit it lower. I'm seriously considering the fan and would love to hear any info about putting it on a sxf.

Thanks a lot

Jared

Jared, as far as electricity i am not sure, as i have not turned the fan on yet and tested while running. Was going to do that in the next day or so, and see whats what. I can let you know. One can assume a better stator cant hurt, but i also figured that my fan wont run much, so the little time it will run shouldnt, or at least hopefully be enough to drain the battery.

As far as mounting it, yours will likely have to be like i did mine. Pretty sure all sxf fi tanks are same, or at least in that area.

If you click on that picture link i had, there should be a few more pictures in that album of what i had to do to make it fit. It was really easy.

I had to drill holes in my radiator supports to mount, but if you have oem raiator the holes are already there. You would just be mounting the bracket upside down, so fan is on bottom rather than top.

Jared, as far as electricity i am not sure, as i have not turned the fan on yet and tested while running. Was going to do that in the next day or so, and see whats what. I can let you know. One can assume a better stator cant hurt, but i also figured that my fan wont run much, so the little time it will run shouldnt, or at least hopefully be enough to drain the battery.

As far as mounting it, yours will likely have to be like i did mine. Pretty sure all sxf fi tanks are same, or at least in that area.

If you click on that picture link i had, there should be a few more pictures in that album of what i had to do to make it fit. It was really easy.

I had to drill holes in my radiator supports to mount, but if you have oem raiator the holes are already there. You would just be mounting the bracket upside down, so fan is on bottom rather than top.

Ok thanks a lot for the info. If possible please report back about the electricity information. Looking at your picture I see that you removed the digital gauge and looks like you mounted it separate. If I am correct what did you mount the digital gauge to. Thanks for all the info and your work looks great

Jared

No prob will let you know once i run the fan.

On the temp control, if you look at the actual fan, the housing has 3 screws in a triangulated pattern.

I used the inner upper to mount the temp bracket to, looking at it mounted on bike it appears that it is crammed against tank, but actually has plenty of clearance everywhere.

This is what i cut off

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/Byron909/2013%20ktm%20450%20fe/1E17A285-DAA5-4D86-A2BA-ED576F15C53D_zpsbizwl9nv.jpg~original

I trimmed it a little, bent the tab to a 90 and drilled a small hole.

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/Byron909/2013%20ktm%20450%20fe/76D77EE6-83F7-4DDB-A200-0613F3C392E0_zpsnrhigucj.jpg~original

See the 3 screws on fan hub?

Seee the one that is missing?

That is where i mounted temp control thing

http://i1273.photobucket.com/albums/y419/Byron909/2013%20ktm%20450%20fe/0CFF798E-C9E3-4B85-9137-193ED1E4DB49_zpsvlmibyi2.jpg~original

My water return hose had to be trimmed about 3/8" to move it that much closer to head. Now its bend contours to fan.

Would image a 250f might be different there.

If i could choose, id rather my fan be up top, at hottest point of radiator, to try and get the most effect on removing heat, and also to conceal all this. But this was where it had to be, so something has to be better than nothing. I did mount the temp sensor at top of radiator, so at least it will be reading as close to operating temp as i can get.

I think though what i will find on the electrical side is that i should have bought abigger stator.

I bought a trai tech battery for this bike, and accidentally bought the 5ah model. I might assume my already weak charging sytem wont like charging the big battery, that coupled with this fan it likely will disharge.

Edited by Byron909