Sign in to follow this  

New to scramble racing

I having racing a little a motocross. But this year I am going to try to race a couple races in the oxcr series and I know very little about hair scrambles. My first question is how do they do the starts. They have all the big bike classes listed as starting at the same time. I am assuming they are doing waves based on skill level. Second on the past results page they showed lap times and nobody I saw had a last lap past 1:58:00 do they stop letting people run another lap if there is no way they can finish it in under 2hrs.

What do I need to race hairscrambles? I order an oversized tank. But I do not have any other enduro gear or accessories on my yz250

I raced my first Harescramble last year or the year before on a motocross bike, no other accessories needed, not even a spark arrestor.  Looks like you don't need an arrestor for that series, just need to be 99db or less on the sound.

Like others, I just came in for a pit stop and got some fuel since I didn't have an oversized tank.

They'll stagger the starts every minute or so.  They'll let the advanced classes go first then let each class or combined classes go.

A lot of riders had a camelback. I had one for hiking so I brought it and filled it half way up with water and some ice.  Good on those hot days.

• Like 1

Go slow your first few laps.  No joke, half the field will be pulled over & tired by laps 3-4 & that's when you go. 

• Like 1

Is camelback nessary? Do you notice the extra weight of the camelback when riding?

Is camelback nessary? Do you notice the extra weight of the camelback when riding?

Notice it, no.  Necessary, I say yes.  I fill mine with water & a pre workout supplement called C4.  That way I keep getting juiced with a booster & can finish the race. You're gonna get thirsty & it will help not have to stop to drink.  

Notice it, no.  Necessary, I say yes.  I fill mine with water & a pre workout supplement called C4.  That way I keep getting juiced with a booster & can finish the race. You're gonna get thirsty & it will help not have to stop to drink.  

That may not be the best idea. Each serving of C4 has around 140mg of caffeine. You will raise your heart rate (on top of a 1.5-2hr race that will most definitely increase your heart rate) and dehydrate yourself. You're better off with a mix of water and something like Gatorade.

That may not be the best idea. Each serving of C4 has around 140mg of caffeine. You will raise your heart rate (on top of a 1.5-2hr race that will most definitely increase your heart rate) and dehydrate yourself. You're better off with a mix of water and something like Gatorade.

To each their own, works fine for me.  I never hear guys in the gym moaning about being dehydrated :lol: .  If you drink plenty of water all the time like you're supposed to you're not going to dehydrate in one race due to a supplement  

To each their own, works fine for me.  I never hear guys in the gym moaning about being dehydrated :lol: .  If you drink plenty of water all the time like you're supposed to you're not going to dehydrate in one race due to a supplement  

You're comparing a 40-60 minute workout with lotsssss of rest compared to a 1.5-2hr non stop race. Ignorance keeps all these worthless supplement companies in business. I'm not going to get into an argument about how stupid and worthless most supplements (such as pre-workouts) are. I have a degree in exercise science and wellness.....your gym brahs are likely clueless.

• Like 2

Also if everyone was up on their nutrition (and hydration) likely they should be then supplement companies would be out of business. Supplements are just that...supplements.

• Like 1

You're comparing a 40-60 minute workout with lotsssss of rest compared to a 1.5-2hr non stop race. Ignorance keeps all these worthless supplement companies in business. I'm not going to get into an argument about how stupid and worthless most supplements (such as pre-workouts) are. I have a degree in exercise science and wellness.....your gym brahs are likely clueless.

You're hysterical, no noob is riding two hours straight, they're pull over every lap.  No need to argue, you already know everything  :lol:

You're hysterical, no noob is riding two hours straight, they're pull over every lap.  No need to argue, you already know everything  :lol:

When it comes to nutrition and fitness it is very clear that I know far more than you. You fall into that ignorance category I was talking about. I'm curious what other supplements you waste your money on? You were clearly trying to give him advice to ride for 2 hours when you were talking about your Cellucor crap. You have now done a total reversal on your argument. So now what is it that we are talking about because clearly it is no longer hydration for a hare scramble race.

• Like 1

When it comes to nutrition and fitness it is very clear that I know far more than you. You fall into that ignorance category I was talking about. I'm curious what other supplements you waste your money on? You were clearly trying to give him advice to ride for 2 hours when you were talking about your Cellucor crap. You have now done a total reversal on your argument. So now what is it that we are talking about because clearly it is no longer hydration for a hare scramble race.

I don't take anything for training.  No ones back tracking, you're a know it all 24 yr old who doesn't have a degree but knows everything, so share your wealth of knowledge, mouth of wisdom

I have never pulled over once racing, and none of my racing buddies have either, and that includes 60+ year olds. 

Tech707 s right too. 

• Like 1

I have never pulled over once racing, and none of my racing buddies have either, and that includes 60+ year olds. 

Tech707 s right too. 

Really?  How did you get gas  :bonk: .  You're not going two hours on one tank

You're right, I went 2 and a half. 

Good for you  :thumbsup:   They teach you how to read up their in Canada?  The kid doesn't have an over sized tank on his bike  :bonk: .