Sign in to follow this  

What Is The Best Chest Protector For Off Road?

What Is The Best Chest Protector For Off Road and why?

I won't say which chest protector I think is best because it would sound like an advertisement.

But I have to point out that there are several safety standards that chest protectors can pass, or not pass. They are all from CE and while there are quite a few they are not difficult to understand and knowing the difference can save you for some nasty injuries.

Almost every "chest protector" from every brand are not chest protectors at all, the are roost guards and are certified by the manufacturer to guard you from what CE calls "lofted stones". This safety standard is very low level and really offers your chest, shoulders and back very, very little impact protection. The standard is called CE EN 14021 and, again, virtually every upper body protector in the market pass only this low level standard.

Shoulders, if they are on the protector, can pass only an impact safety standard called CE EN 1621-1. Any shoulder protection on any upper body guard that does not pass this standard should not really be considered shoulder protection, just more roost protection, but on the shoulders.

Chest protection comes in two levels. CE EN pr1621-3 Level one which absorbs approx. 70% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. And CE EN pr1621-3 Level two which absorbs approx. 90% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. Very few upper body protectors will pass this impact protection safety standard but companies like Forcefield, Leatt and others do make them.

Back protection comes in two levels. CE EN 1621-2 Level one which absorbs approx. 70% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. And CE EN pr1621-3 Level two which absorbs approx. 90% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. Very few upper body protectors will pass this impact protection safety standard but companies like Forcefield, Alpinestars, Leatt and others do make them. THis back impact safety standard has been around for over 10 years and it is a shame more companies do not build their products to protect riders better and use this valuable sales pitch.

What fits your body best may not fit others that well so what is perfect for some might not be that great of others. So I will not mention types or brands just that if you want protection buy one that is designed to protect you in a crash, not just from roost.

• Like 3

I won't say which chest protector I think is best because it would sound like an advertisement.

But I have to point out that there are several safety standards that chest protectors can pass, or not pass. They are all from CE and while there are quite a few they are not difficult to understand and knowing the difference can save you for some nasty injuries.

Almost every "chest protector" from every brand are not chest protectors at all, the are roost guards and are certified by the manufacturer to guard you from what CE calls "lofted stones". This safety standard is very low level and really offers your chest, shoulders and back very, very little impact protection. The standard is called CE EN 14021 and, again, virtually every upper body protector in the market pass only this low level standard.

Shoulders, if they are on the protector, can pass only an impact safety standard called CE EN 1621-1. Any shoulder protection on any upper body guard that does not pass this standard should not really be considered shoulder protection, just more roost protection, but on the shoulders.

Chest protection comes in two levels. CE EN pr1621-3 Level one which absorbs approx. 70% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. And CE EN pr1621-3 Level two which absorbs approx. 90% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. Very few upper body protectors will pass this impact protection safety standard but companies like Forcefield, Leatt and others do make them.

Back protection comes in two levels. CE EN 1621-2 Level one which absorbs approx. 70% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. And CE EN pr1621-3 Level two which absorbs approx. 90% more impact energy that a roost guard/lofted stones rated protector. Very few upper body protectors will pass this impact protection safety standard but companies like Forcefield, Alpinestars, Leatt and others do make them. THis back impact safety standard has been around for over 10 years and it is a shame more companies do not build their products to protect riders better and use this valuable sales pitch.

What fits your body best may not fit others that well so what is perfect for some might not be that great of others. So I will not mention types or brands just that if you want protection buy one that is designed to protect you in a crash, not just from roost.

Thank you Phil!

seeing how people are different sizes and shapes i don't think there could be one best.

try some on.

take a look and ask yourself how long will this hold up for.

im partial to the flak jacket style one that i wear with no jersey sometimes a long sleeve under it if its cold or a tank top if its hot and the mesh keeps you cooler than a jersey but with better elbow protection.

i know the brand but i cant think of it right now im having a brain fart im at work or id go look...

its a bit old i got it for free from my xgfs dad right when i was about to buy one.

after having one im sticking to this style for good.

elbow gurads kidney chest protector all in one unit.  I ride with it moto, supermoto, and even down hill mountain bike racing.

Like everyone stated above there isn't one that works for all. I did find that in a TX summer near 100 degrees that the Leatt Pro Light (http://www.leatt.com/shop/body-protection/upper-body-hard-shell/chest-protector-pro-lite.html) was the coolest of all the ones I have worn and it is both certified in the highest protection. I love it with my brace. The two match perfectly and I don't know I'm even wearing it (I wear under the jersey).

GoYamaha

In the pic you can kinda see the chest protector on the left shoulder where the crease in the jersey is the shoulder guard.

Rusty's03.jpg

• Like 1

I bought this.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/837/-/200171/Fox-Racing-R3-Roost-Deflector-2014-155-240-lbs.-5%278%22-6%276%22-Empire-Black?term=1264440012

I ate it twice today.  Once I fell over flat on my stomache/chest.  Didn't feel a thing, but my arms took some of that... The next time I dumped it on a sharp downhill to the right switchback.  I got pinned between the bike and a giant stump.  Luckily that thing covers my back well.  Didn't feel a thing.

It may offer very little, but it covers my ribs. chest, and back OK.  I don't do mach 1, so it should be OK at the lower speeds I travel.

Nice bit of info and feed back. Did not know there was a level of protection rating on protectors. I need to replace my old CP. Cant zip tie or rivet to anything any more and was wanting something with rib and shoulder protection. Thanks guys.

Fly racing sting ray is a great choice. Has a built in removable water blatter and a few storage compartments for tools. Only one like it out there i do beleive.

Fly racing sting ray is a great choice. Has a built in removable water blatter and a few storage compartments for tools. Only one like it out there i do beleive.

Not the only one.  Zac Speed makes a pretty good unit too, albeit and a higher price tag.

https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/42673-zac-speed-recon-s-3/

http://www.zacspeed.com

Because they hold water, hold tools, are top quality, and are comfortable. Everything necessary for a great day of off road riding.

What Is The Best Chest Protector For Off Road and why?

The best is a bit subjective, but I feel the Leatt Body Protector Adventure is an outstanding product. Why? It has a solid chest plate, stays where it should, has saved me numerous times and makes me look like a bad-ass storm trooper.

The downsides are the elbow pads give me arm pump unless worn super loose but then they rotate (they're removable anyways) and you cook riding slow single track on a warm day.

• Like 1

The best is a bit subjective, but I feel the Leatt Body Protector Adventure is an outstanding product. Why? It has a solid chest plate, stays where it should, has saved me numerous times and makes me look like a bad-ass storm trooper.

The downsides are the elbow pads give me arm pump unless worn super loose but then they rotate (they're removable anyways) and you cook riding slow single track on a warm day.

This. I tried on all the other armors and they felt very thin and flimsy, and they were marketed as body armor, not just roost protection. I found the Leatt to have the thickest plastic and largest amount of padding compared to other products. The other thing that i hated about alot of the other armors is that the zip went right down the middle of the chest plate, which i think would greatly reduce protection.

I use this protector as well. Ive taken my scotts damper to the chest at 4th gear and came out of it fine. I don't think I would have faired so well with a simple roost guard or a body armor suit.

The Leatt Adventure Pro has extra think padding in the inside of the chest protector/roost guard whatever you want to call it. I havent had any real falls onto mine yet but im confident that it will absorb much more impact than just a plastic shell.

Edited by motonack