Sign in to follow this  

Calling all clutch experts! 2009 YZ250

Finally updated my YZ250 to a '09 with a total of 150 hours on it. Previous owner had a rekluse in it. He kept the rekluse and put the stock clutch back in. During the test drive the clutch seemed fine but the pull was harder than I expected. I need to make the pull as easy and smooth as possible due to tennis elbow in my left arm. I am old school and love a clutch so I really don't want to go rekluse. I took it apart and everything measured fine. I found ware on the arm end of the push rod (see pic), on the edge of the push arm (see pic), and pretty good groves worn into the pressure plate from the springs. I think these three things would add to the pull.

Question 1: How much extra pull would each of these three things cause, and replace some, none or all of them?

Question 2: Is a rekluse harder on these parts than normal?

I plan to replace the lever (brass ovaled some) and the pivot bolt. The perch seams good. The cable is good but I'm not sure its a Yamaha or not. It has the markings "Yamato Fine Cable 1P83590-0F07" on it. If its not Yamaha I will replace it.

Question 3: Is that a Yamaha cable?

A few yz's ago my '85 had a stiff pull when the bike was brand new. A popular modification was a small aftermarket piece that extended the arm, It worked great for 180,000 miles!

Question 4: Has anyone added a piece to the arm to give it a little more length? I have the room under the MSR cover (9oz FFW).

Thank You in advance, any answers would be appreciated.........Tim

Pushrod and lever.jpg

Pressure plate.jpg

I forgot to mention the bearings for the clutch arm seem fine, clean, free, and tight. Anyone have experience with worn arm and pushrod? Does it affect pull or just adjustment? Thanks

I would say you need to make sure that:

1.) A little wear wont cause the pull to be harder no matter the part

2.) Make sure you have a Yamaha cable as Yamaha uses a inner liner that no other company I know uses. (makes pull easier)

3.) Cable is lubed with quality lube as it will make the pull easier

4.) there is no grit in the perch and use waterproof grease and lube lever/bolt meet area.

5.) Are you using heavier springs as Rekluse normally suggests using heavier springs. (owner kept normal and gave you stiff springs?

Those are the key areas to check.

GoYamaha

Does anyone know if this is a Yamaha cable? It has the markings "Yamato Fine Cable 1P83590-0F07" on it.

After 200 views on this topic and no comments on the pushrod and arm ware I guess its not a problem. Is that also true for the spring groves in the friction plate?

Any recommendations for a easier clutch pull?

I'm not an expert by any means, but I've had the same problem with the clutch pull in my yz125. One thing to look at is the grooves on the clutch basket. I've learned if you have those grooves they make your clutch pull harder. For a cheap and easy fix you can file the grooves down a bit. Here's a video that explains what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJzbsYYJ__I

Thanks BikerGuy, The '09 250 has steel glide surfaces and everything looks good with the boss too.

Maybe its not a stock basket? Does anyone know if stock basket has steel riveted on the edges??

• Like 1

Thanks BikerGuy, The '09 250 has steel glide surfaces and everything looks good with the boss too.

Maybe its not a stock basket? Does anyone know if stock basket has steel riveted on the edges??

It's not stock if it has anything other than soft aluminum for material.

Barnett perhaps?

It's not stock if it has anything other than soft aluminum for material.

Barnett perhaps?

Yes, after checking it is. Nice piece.

Any other opinions on the ware shown above?

Could it all be just the ovaled clutch lever?

Same boat here, bought '08 250 and told him to keep his rekluse. Since he only pulled the cable a few times a ride, he probaly didnt care that the pull was way stiff. A new oem cable fixed it.

Putting on FWW, a rekluse, and gearing it to the moon was his setup, man what a quitter, lol.

• Like 1

Yamaha YZ 250s have always had a stiff clutch pull, has that been considered?

Yea, I'm just trying to make it as good as it can be. If you don't see any added friction due to the parts I showed above then I'll Live with it or if I cant I'll have to extend the arm or get a lever assembly that might help. Thanks

Yea, I'm just trying to make it as good as it can be. If you don't see any added friction due to the parts I showed above then I'll Live with it or if I cant I'll have to extend the arm or get a lever assembly that might help. Thanks

extending the arm is a common trick on race teams

Consider hydraulic clutch, or a moose ez pull clutch cable, or moose ez pull clutch lever/perch system

Or buy a Rekluse......

literally in his first post he said he doesnt want one.

Plus making a clutch pull easier costs a few $, vs dropping up to a grand for a rekluse.

literally in his first post he said he doesnt want one.

Plus making a clutch pull easier costs a few $, vs dropping up to a grand for a rekluse.

No point in arguing......Yup, Rekluse is the enemy, real riders don't use Rekluses etc etc

Finally updated my YZ250 to a '09 with a total of 150 hours on it. Previous owner had a rekluse in it. He kept the rekluse and put the stock clutch back in. During the test drive the clutch seemed fine but the pull was harder than I expected. I need to make the pull as easy and smooth as possible due to tennis elbow in my left arm. I am old school and love a clutch so I really don't want to go rekluse. I took it apart and everything measured fine. I found ware on the arm end of the push rod (see pic), on the edge of the push arm (see pic), and pretty good groves worn into the pressure plate from the springs. I think these three things would add to the pull.

Question 1: How much extra pull would each of these three things cause, and replace some, none or all of them?

Question 2: Is a rekluse harder on these parts than normal?

I plan to replace the lever (brass ovaled some) and the pivot bolt. The perch seams good. The cable is good but I'm not sure its a Yamaha or not. It has the markings "Yamato Fine Cable 1P83590-0F07" on it. If its not Yamaha I will replace it.

Question 3: Is that a Yamaha cable?

A few yz's ago my '85 had a stiff pull when the bike was brand new. A popular modification was a small aftermarket piece that extended the arm, It worked great for 180,000 miles!

Question 4: Has anyone added a piece to the arm to give it a little more length? I have the room under the MSR cover (9oz FFW).

Thank You in advance, any answers would be appreciated.........Tim

First, the marks on the pressure plate are normal, they are from the springs hitting it. Second the ware on the leaver and push rod does not look bad and it will only effect disengagement. Since it sounds like you have a Barnett basket in it also might have a Barnett clutch witch uses stiffer springs and will give you a harder lever pull. I used Barnett clutches in all my dirt bikes and loved them until I installed my Rekluse (witch I love). To be honest with you I don't think that is a Yamaha cable because I have never seen these markings on any of my stock cables and doing a quick google search it looks like Yamato Fine Cable is aftermarket. I would get a new Yamaha cable and lube it and also buy Yamaha clutch springs and that should make the pull easer. For what its worth when I used the Barnett clutch my 06yz250 and 01 yz250 clutch pull was not that still at all.

• Like 2

Thanks Cookiemonster and everyone. I'm happy not to have to replace the arm, rod, and pressure plate. I'll clean them up with a stone and lube them good. I think the springs, friction plates and steel plates are all stock and they measure fine. There is a new Yamaha cable on the way and since the stock lever was trashed I'm looking at replacing it with something with a bearing at the pivot like the MSR Pro-Raptor, or EZ3 Lever from moose.

Thanks again everyone,

LEVER RECOMMENDATIONS APPRECIATED!!

If you want the easiest clutch pull ever, try the Rekluse zStart Pro model clutch. If you don't want to buy a new one, you can find them on ebay. I have been running one on my yz450s for several years. I have gotten used to the 2 finger easy clutch pull and can't make the switch to the newer models because the Core EXP is like stock and the EXP is quite a bit tougher than stock. I guarantee you will love the ease of the pull of the zStart Pro, if that is what is most important to you. You won't believe it and you may even think something is wrong at first because it is so easy to pull. Easy to pull = easy to control in my opinion... and I never get arm pump from clutching.

ARC RC-8. Best perch lever out there. I noticed at least a 20-25% decrease in stiffness. I think the 180 for the perch/lever which has a LIFE TIME WARRENTY is a amazing deal. If you break a lever or the perch you pay shipping and get a new one free.

GoYamaha

p.s. I have them on all of my bikes.