Sign in to follow this  

Radiator braces Vs Radiator Cages(guards)

Im looking to add some braces or cages to my YZ250F and am looking for recommendations...is it better for cages or for braces?  

"Cages" always made more sense to me for off road. Dealing with not only possible dislocation, but puncture. Don't know about moto.

Mike

• Like 1

HMM  just one more thing that you have to bolt on to a water cooled bike.

That is why air cooled is just better for off-roading.

• Like 1

which are you concerned about? bending fins and puncturing your radiator? or laying the bike over hard and mushing one? theyre two separate products made for 2 separate things

which are you concerned about? bending fins and puncturing your radiator? or laying the bike over hard and mushing one? theyre two separate products made for 2 separate things

Not if you buy something like Unabiker, they have the whole package.

• Like 2

Not if you buy something like Unabiker, they have the whole package.

i didnt know a company made them as one piece, why doesnt the Op just buy that?

I have the works connection radiator braces on my YZ250.  They are expensive for what you get but they are super easy to install.  Fit was excellent on my bike.  They only protect the bike from dropping it on its side but I like them. 

I probably shouldn't tell this story but its the most recent on my mind and it's kind of funny.  The other day I had a few too many drinks and my neighbor wanted to see what I had done to the bike recently.  So as I was rolling the bike backwards out of the garage I tripped on the edge of the concrete and dropped the bike right on its side.  Bike took it like a champ.  Seems the damn radiators are always the first thing to hit so I like the side protection the braces offer. 

EDIT---> Someone mentioned The Unabiker radiator guards.  They look like the ultimate package but I've read a lot about them being a pain in the arse to install.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

I ordered the black Unabiker guards.....lets see how installation goes.

• Like 1

I have Unabikers on both my CRFs and they are: #1 the beefiest system made, #2 no harder to install/fit shrouds to than any other cage, #3 the best looking, #4 the same price as any other quality cage.

I have either owned or installed every cage and brace out there and you can't beat Unabikers. Flatlands are the next best but really don't even come close.

For a straight cage system, Moose makes a nice unit.

HMM just one more thing that you have to bolt on to a water cooled bike.

That is why air cooled is just better for off-roading.

You can't be serious..

If air cooled bikes are superior offroad, I guess all the pros are moronic for taking sponsored liquid cooled bikes.

Checks these out... https://www.bulletproofdesigns.com/products/type/radiator-guards.html Pricey, but are supposed to be the best.

Yes they are, I've had them on my bike since my 2nd ride on it in 2010.

If you tweak the rads just a little, it may be impossible to install rad guards. But the things work well.

Yes they are, I've had them on my bike since my 2nd ride on it in 2010.

If you tweak the rads just a little, it may be impossible to install rad guards. But the things work well.

Don't say that, I've got a set coming on Monday for my "mainly" new KTM, I hope they mount up. I have read that before though.