Sign in to follow this  

A KTM even a Honda rider could love

I see the owner of the local KTM dealership at the mountain bike trails frequently ----

last time out , i was treated to the sight of his latest ride  -- check the light fade graphics on the head tube -- its a Katoom in orange livery  ---

The specs rival anything out there ---   

Full carbon frame

2x11 Shimano XTR componentry

carbon rims

27.5" wheels

dont know the specs on the Fox suspension components but i'm sure they're nice 

weight is about 21.5 pounds 

Oh, its sexy, and i just may add the first KTM ever to my stable 

The retail on this particular bike as it sits is $8900  -- which compares favorably to others in its class, and is cheaper than a Specialized

005_zpsef6f2218.jpg

I am riding an '06 Santa Cruz (pictured below) with older 3x9 XTR and aluminum everywhere 

weighs about 26

I have been riding it happily for 8 years now and have resisted the urge to upgrade, as its been a darn solid bike for my needs   -----  That KTM makes it look pretty pedestrian now though --- (like i need anything else to spend a paycheck (5 paychecks?) on  

scsl001_zps5e5cd022.jpg

Will the neck snap off when you ride it?!?

:smirk:

I tried to re-cap some of KRannie's reservations about KTM's to the man, about whether its a rear steer only bike, and how bad does it stinkbug? - as well as commenting that i was sure glad to see them get away from PDS on this one  ---   (its a 4 bar suspension system with a Horst link (yes, Horst Leitner) -- he compared it to Suzuki's Full floater system from the early 80's  -pretty cool

But aside from some friendly banter, i'm not going to badmouth KTM's too much to a guy who has made a very healthy living selling them for 30 years -- my Honda dealership looks at dirt bikes as an afterthought , and the YAmaha dealership who kept a ton of dirt stuff in stock and supported local racing didnt survive the recession a couple of years back

wonder if you really feel the difference between the $1000 bike and the 8900 one... that's insane... i guess maybe at the pro level but common its a bike!

• Like 1

wonder if you really feel the difference between the $1000 bike and the 8900 one... that's insane... i guess maybe at the pro level but common its a bike!

The retail on that bike is more than 30% over what I paid for my brand new 2012 WR450! How is that justified? There is no way the material or engineering cost as much to produce that mountain bike as my WR. I guess when you only plan on selling 5 of them the engineering costs don't get spread out as much.

• Like 1

The retail on that bike is more than 30% over what I paid for my brand new 2012 WR450! How is that justified? There is no way the material or engineering cost as much to produce that mountain bike as my WR. I guess when you only plan on selling 5 of them the engineering costs don't get spread out as much.

A top end Specialized is  $10,500,   a Trek is   $8300,  A  Cannondale is also $10,800    -- and on and on and on   (i posted the links below)     

These are not smaller boutique bike manufacturers, like my Santa Cruz, either --- these guys' are as big as it gets , -- so the development costs are offset by the millions of $1000 bikes they sell per year  --- I'm actually surprised KTM is selling their flagship bike that cheap,  but they are hoping to get more sales by under-cutting Specialized and Cannondale  by a significant margin

If i were to just pick up a catalog and start buying all the components these bikes are made with to upgrade my ancient mariner, i'd be looking at 8k pretty quickly as well,  - as a manufacturer gets a much better deal on components than the public does when we buy them over the counter

And as for telling a difference between a $1000 bike and an 8900$ one?  -- night and day  ---  the lines start to get blurred a bit if you start comparing , say, a $5000 machine to an $8900 one

The best comparison if we compared this mountain bike to a motorcycle would be comparing it to Barcia or Canard's factory bikes --- it doesnt compute comparing pro level hardware to a stock WR450 or CRF450

A bicycle in the 2-2500$ range would have the technology and workmanship to compare to most off the shelf mx'ers and off road motorcycles 

But if   $8900 or $10,500 seems mind blowing , we haven't even started looking at top end road bikes and triathlon machines ---- not too hard to blow a hole in 15k if you want to.     ITs also surprising the amount of these 7,8, and 10,000 dollar rigs you see at the trailhead -   plenty of people are buying these carbon fiber superbikes

Specialized will sell more $10,000 bikes in the US alone than Yamaha's entire off-road line, sadly

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/epic

http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/product/view/id/31831/s/scalpel-29-carbon-black-inc/category/931/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly_fs/

Edited by DMC707

Buy a Giant or  Merida they probably make the KTM anyway and you don't pay as much for the "name".

MM

Yeh not cheap but better than a 10k Specialized made by Merida, I've also found Giant more willing to do a a deal, you should be able to take 20% off that pretty easy.I guess that comes down to the shop though.  Happy Trails personally I'm  roady crazy MTB riders :) :) 

MM 

A top end Specialized is  $10,500,   a Trek is   $8300,  A  Cannondale is also $10,800    -- and on and on and on   (i posted the links below)     

These are not smaller boutique bike manufacturers, like my Santa Cruz, either --- these guys' are as big as it gets , -- so the development costs are offset by the millions of $1000 bikes they sell per year  --- I'm actually surprised KTM is selling their flagship bike that cheap,  but they are hoping to get more sales by under-cutting Specialized and Cannondale  by a significant margin

If i were to just pick up a catalog and start buying all the components these bikes are made with to upgrade my ancient mariner, i'd be looking at 8k pretty quickly as well,  - as a manufacturer gets a much better deal on components than the public does when we buy them over the counter

And as for telling a difference between a $1000 bike and an 8900$ one?  -- night and day  ---  the lines start to get blurred a bit if you start comparing , say, a $5000 machine to an $8900 one

The best comparison if we compared this mountain bike to a motorcycle would be comparing it to Barcia or Canard's factory bikes --- it doesnt compute comparing pro level hardware to a stock WR450 or CRF450

A bicycle in the 2-2500$ range would have the technology and workmanship to compare to most off the shelf mx'ers and off road motorcycles 

But if   $8900 or $10,500 seems mind blowing , we haven't even started looking at top end road bikes and triathlon machines ---- not too hard to blow a hole in 15k if you want to.     ITs also surprising the amount of these 7,8, and 10,000 dollar rigs you see at the trailhead -   plenty of people are buying these carbon fiber superbikes

Specialized will sell more $10,000 bikes in the US alone than Yamaha's entire off-road line, sadly

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/epic

http://www.cannondale.com/catalog/product/view/id/31831/s/scalpel-29-carbon-black-inc/category/931/

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/cross_country/superfly_fs/

now you know what to buy the guy who already has odviously way too much money... this is presuming you in fact also have way too much money... im with woods rider... i call foul... my kid wants a 10 k mountain bike im gonna slap him upside the head and say wtf

I have a buddy into downhill mountaining biking. I remind him all the time my 450x costs less than his peddly bike and I don't need a steep hill to use it.

now you know what to buy the guy who already has odviously way too much money... this is presuming you in fact also have way too much money... im with woods rider... i call foul... my kid wants a 10 k mountain bike im gonna slap him upside the head and say &%$#@!

Does your kid want and ask for Dungey's 450SX ?  -- or does he ask for a stock KX80 or CRF250    -----   you dont understnd cycling and thats ok  -- but the difference between a 21 pound bike like the KTM,  and a 26 pound bike like my Santa Cruz  (which incidentally cost about 5k 8 years ago )  is like comparing an XR250  to a CRF250

Your kid would be fine , no doubt , with a cheap bike   --- just like most of us are fine with mildly modified stocker dirt bikes ----   because chances are , a kid will drop everything anyway once he/she gets wheels or gets their first mid/late teens romance --- thats motocross/cycling/soccer/baseball --- you name it 

But if your kid has a VO2 max level above .65 and likes either cycling or running (or both) --- he or she may be the type who can utilize what a 8k bike has to offer    -- If not?  There's always college 

As far as the "too much money" thing goes   ----- how much does a pair of nice Ostritch skin boots cost?  - Answer- about as much as a pair of SG-12's    ,     --- how much does a Rollie cost?  (Rolex) -- buying new - 7 or 8k will get you in the door on a Submariner  - a Seiko cost 300 bucks    ------      Yeti coolers?  Those are popular now -- how about $350 or so (size dependent) for your next beer cooler  - $60 -80 bucks for an Igloo    -----  I dont even need to get started on custom golf clubs -- go get a golf membership at a low level local club -- still not cheap

Pushing the envelope costs money -- always has  --- the technology from those 8 and 9k (and more) bicycles trickles down eventually to the  2 and 3k bikes given enough time  --- but time is a fleeting thing, so by the time a $2500 bike is as good as a 6 year old $8000 bike  ---- the next generation's  $8000 bike is better still

This thread really wasnt about posting an economics lesson on the economy of scale and trickle down technology ----- merely relaying something cool i saw at the trails     ----  i got into mountain biking in 1988  as a way to keep in shape for MX - I started MX in '83   --- i've been dabbling in both a very long time     ---  the mountain bike scene is pretty exciting now while the dirt bikes are stale from a technological perspective

Holy crap!! $10K for a machine you still have to pedal :jawdrop:   Hope that comes with the car and rack to put it on top of.  I'm not paying $10k for anything you have to pedal and wear a leotard to ride :devil: