GROUP BUY ON COESHOW HEAVY DUTY KICK START GEAR CRF150f

As many of you know, the kick start gear is the weak link in the crf150f bikes when you start to bore and stroke them.  Coeshow used to produce a heavy duty kick start gear which solved this problem.  However he no longer produces them because I guess the need for them died down.  I am looking to do the full 250cc bore and stroke kit for my crf150 and would like to get the heavy duty kick start gear so I don't have to bump start my bike everytime.  I talked to Coeshow last night threw email and he said he would make some more if he got an order of at least 10.  I am sure I am not the only one who would like  these heavy duty kick start gears.  Lets get a group buy in on here so we can get Coeshow to make some more of these heavy duty kick start gears.  I am waiting to here back on him on the price, but who on hear would be interested in purchasing them??

NO ONE else that I know of makes heavy duty kick start gears for the crf150f so take advantage of this opportunity to buy these while you still can!!!!

Like I said, I emailed coeshow last night asking for price and once he gets back to me(which has always been less than 24 hours so I should get a response by tonight) I will post the price on this thread.  I will ask Coeshow to post in this thread as well with the price so you guys don't think I am trying to screw anyone over by charging more. 

LETS GET THESE MADE!!! Even if you don't have an immediate need for the heavy duty kick start gear I would recommend purchasing these while you can in case you ever break your stock ones in the future or decide to bore and/or stroke you motor and would like to kickstart your bike without breaking it or having to bump start it everytime. 

Edited by punkguitarist

I have 3 bikes and a spare engine, all 250s.

1) electric start

3) kick start

2) with his gear set, one without.

My favorite 150, with gears, also has a compression release.

The larger the camshaft, (more overlap) the less you need the compression release.

The more compression without a "mega" cam the more you need (in my opinion and experience) a compression release.

With that said, I will commit to the purchase of another gear set for my extra engine.

I doubt that they will be cheaper than the last set that I purchased though?

If I'm not mistaken, I paid $300.00 - $350.00 range? + shipping + tax

AND

You can only pay by a USPS money order in advance. + on top of that it took well over six months to receive my set.

With that said, it's all good for me, Again, I will take a set.

On the next level above that, if possible? I will ask Engines Only to convert another cylinder head to use there compression release.

IMO:

(Why risk breaking a set of Coe's gears also? Since the NEXT set I need may be more Unobtainium than this set)

Guy

Edited by adnohguy

6 months??!! Dam I hope I don't have to wait that long.  Adnohguy, do you think you really need the coeshow heavy duty kick start gears if you have the compression release?  Engines only is 10 min away from me so I could just have them make me a compression release and avoid having to pay another $300 + potential waiting another 6 months. 

You do have other options you know....

I gave you another option when I answered your question on another thread...

AND again,you have one more that I can think of it that option won't work for you....

Edited by adnohguy

You do have other options you know....

I gave you another option when I answered your question on another thread...

AND again,you have one more that I can think of it that option won't work for you....

Electric Start is definitely not something I am interested in.  The crf150f are already too heavy as it is and I don't want to be adding any extra weight.  I am not interested in moving up to a crf230f either because this is suppose to be my "pit bike/backyard bike" so I don't want it any bigger than it is. 

So it sounds like I have two options, either beg Mike Coe to start making his heavy duty kick start gears again or beg Frank at Engines only to make me a compression release for my 150f.  If these two don't work, what is your third option??

Simple;

Build an XR 200 engine. It will bolt right in..

:-)

AND If you need a referral for someone that will give you the most bang for your buck on your XR200 engine build:

PM Terry Miller aka Teamrude.

Edited by adnohguy

Guy, that is funny.... If I had to choose I would do gears AND compression release. Sounds like you should buy the gears period while you can. Also IMO people should learn how to start 4-stroke properly. Have ran motors with wimpy starters for years yet I can have one friend shatter it in 5 seconds. He and his son can literally break an anvil with play-doh. My nephew was same way but now that he fixes his own stuff he learned.

• Like 1

Electric Start is definitely not something I am interested in.  The crf150f are already too heavy as it is and I don't want to be adding any extra weight.  I am not interested in moving up to a crf230f either because this is suppose to be my "pit bike/backyard bike" so I don't want it any bigger than it is. 

So it sounds like I have two options, either beg Mike Coe to start making his heavy duty kick start gears again or beg Frank at Engines only to make me a compression release for my 150f.  If these two don't work, what is your third option??

Electric is the future!!!

Lol... Silly farm animals....:-)

Be serious...

I predict:

THE "G"reatest "O"f "A"ll "T" ime

dirt bike engine of the future will be:

Turbocharged Direct Injected 2 Strokes.

Lightweight, low emissions, easy to work on and so much POWER!

You won't need an big fat expansion chamber and it will be a lot easier to make the bike quiet.

Great things are coming our way for off-road motorcycles in the future!

Edited by adnohguy
  • Like 1

Guy, that is funny.... If I had to choose I would do gears AND compression release. Sounds like you should buy the gears period while you can. Also IMO people should learn how to start 4-stroke properly. Have ran motors with wimpy starters for years yet I can have one friend shatter it in 5 seconds. He and his son can literally break an anvil with play-doh. My nephew was same way but now that he fixes his own stuff he learned.

Electric starter weight isn't much with the invention of lithium batteries. You shave 3 lbs with a lithium. Take the start off the 230. Take the kick rod and it's gears out of the 150f. Measure the difference! The starter's weight, next to the kick starter's rod and gears weight will give you an actual weight difference.

WITH a LITHIUM battery added to the engine, you may find 2lb difference with an electric starter. I put my lithium bat in my air box, and junked all the plastic retainers the bike came with.

Edited by The goat
  • Like 1

Electric starter weight isn't much with the invention of lithium batteries. You shave 3 lbs with a lithium. Take the start off the 230. Take the kick rod and it's gears out of the 150f. Measure the difference! The starter's weight, next to the kick starter's rod and gears weight will give you an actual weight difference.

WITH a LITHIUM battery add to the engine, you my find 2lb difference with an electric start. I put my lithium bat in my air box, and junked all the plastic retainers that bike came with.

Good call goat, I agree!

I have a Shori in my 230 and love it.

+ you can remove a lot of weight from the 230 crankshaft and actually make it lighter than a CRF 150f crankshaft!

I have done that to all my 250 cranks already.

On top of that you can remove even more weight off of the flywheel and starter spragg, etc. than you can remove from the 230 crankshaft.

It all adds up to even less weight.

Edited by adnohguy

Lol... Silly farm animals....:-)

Be serious...

I predict:

THE "G"reatest "O"f "A"ll "T" ime

dirt bike engine of the future will be:

Turbocharged Direct Injected 2 Strokes.

Lightweight, low emissions, easy to work on and so much POWER!

You won't need an big fat expansion chamber and it will be a lot easier to make the bike quiet.

Great things are coming our way for off-road motorcycles in the future!

If KTM came with a Direct injected 2smoke the world would lose their mind...and I'd be one of them! Notice I said KTM...whiy did I say KtM? Because they would be first to come with it. The Japanese would wait to see if there was a market for it. Turbo 2stroke? I don't know about that lol.

If this is a legitimate attempt at offering a group buy it needs to state all of the specifics and be offered by Mike. He certainly is familiar with production lead times, quantities needed, and pricing specifics. It would be interesting in hearing from Mike if these would be the exact same gears as before or if there is going to be a revision of the original product/design. The issue of breakage prone gears that require a center case split to access keep many from considering the CRf150f as a play bike platform.

Unfornately, I don't think this is going to happen.  Mike coe got back to me for a second time and he really didn't sound interested in making anymore even if I did get a group buy together.  If anything changes I will let you know.  I got lucky and bought a motor last weekend with the heavy duty kickstart gears installed, but  I will still buy another set if they become available.