Sign in to follow this  

Carpel Tunnel and 2009 300XC

Hello, new guy here with a question about vibration.

After many many years of 4T orange and blue bikes I bought a 2009 300XC and I am in love, but the vibration kills my wrists.  I had Carpel Tunnel surgery about ten years ago and have had very little symptoms since the surgery, until I rode the 300.  I knew that it was a risk buying something that vibrated so much and I may have gotten a little bit of spring fever when looking at it.  I rode the bike on a 6 mile loop and then 3 laps on the beginner MX track, all was fine with my wrists.  That ended at 2 am with waking up and not feeling my hands, out came the Ibupropehn and ice, but I didn't get feeling back into my hands until ~ 7 hours later.

I have been using the search and reading all the threads about Twisted Engineering\FlexxBars\PHDS etc, before I go off dropping Benjamin Franklins on trying to eliminate the vibration I have two questions:

1) Anyone who has had the Carpel Tunnel Surgery and owns a 300, did you have any issues with your wrists, what turned out to be the best solution?

2) Or is it better to put it back up on Craigslist and pick up a 450?

Thanks,

Lowside17

Pretty sure they make handlebars that vibrate less. You could possibly look into that?

Sorry to hear about your carpel tunnel.

I have carpel tunnel in my left wrist I don't think your problem is with vibration. If it would help you I have 250sx and 450 rmz it doesn't make a difference I believe it's griping the bars

You know squeezing. You might just have to work through it or wait till you heal up

I haven't let them operate on me I have to much spinal stuff going on.

There are many things you can do to help with the vibs...  For me I switched to pillow top grips, I put rubber under the bar mounts, and bought anti vibration bar ends.  I also made sure my exhaust was mounted tight, with new springs.. The grips ad the anti vibration bar ends really helped.   I love the smokers, and will continue to do what I need to do to stay on a smoker...  

I have not have surgery...  yet, but that day is fast approaching.  My hands go numb frequently...  when I'm sleeping, driving, riding my street cruiser, sitting at my desk at work...  so to have issues on my dirt bike is (to me) not unusual...   

There are many things you can do to help with the vibs...  For me I switched to pillow top grips, I put rubber under the bar mounts, and bought anti vibration bar ends.  I also made sure my exhaust was mounted tight, with new springs.. The grips ad the anti vibration bar ends really helped.   I love the smokers, and will continue to do what I need to do to stay on a smoker...  

I have not have surgery...  yet, but that day is fast approaching.  My hands go numb frequently...  when I'm sleeping, driving, riding my street cruiser, sitting at my desk at work...  so to have issues on my dirt bike is (to me) not unusual...   

eprovenzano,

I had the carpel tunnel surgery over ten years ago and the quality of life improvement was amazing.  I am sure the technology has improved since then, but I wish I hadn't waited so long to have them fixed.

The bike has pillow top grips, I will probably start out with the bar ends and checking the exhaust, if that doesn't make a significant improvement I will swap it out for a 450.

Thanks for the reply.

jackalytis is terrible....you can fill the bars with silicon, but its heavy, some will put a length of rubber hose in the bars to absorp the vibes. Make sure motor mounts n such are tight, the pipe fits well to help with overall vibration. Other than that about everything has been mentioned.

I have carpel tunnel in my left wrist I don't think your problem is with vibration.

Nor do I. A number of people switching to 2 strokes from 4 strokes wind up holding on much tighter because of the almost instant throttle response. I many times hear people saying their necks and arms are sore when they first move to a 2 stroke.

I'm moving this over to the health and fitness forum. You may get some better responses there.

Doubt you need to trade bikes.  Had CTS myself when I cut my bars down too short for woods riding, and ended up with surgery. Carpal tunnel syndrome is often due to flexing the wrists at night which cuts off the circulation and is why you wake up with numbness.  Try this :

1. Cheap night time splints  or even tape a spoon in your palm ( not too tight ) that will keep your wrists straight as you sleep.  most important. 

2. NSAIDs like ibuprofen on a regular basis can help with inflammation. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. 

3. Bars without too much bend that causes ulnar flexion (your wrists should be straight, not turned outward)

4. Bar ends and/or solid brush guards that reduce vibration. 

5. Warm up slowly and get the blood flowing before riding, and stop after 5 minutes or so and stretch your wrists. 

the Nerve compression can get quite bad and lead to muscle loss if you don't treat appropriately.  Google Tinel and Phalen's tests.  

hope that helps, 

KTM 250 XC   MD